Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The most talented person in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

^ :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

John Hayes, tree sculptor from Co Waterford, on a mobile so can't link pictures, if anyone else can it would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Motivator

Katie Taylor ?

Best female boxer of all time

Played in Irish national soccer team

You are an imbecile

those Collison stripe brothers. except they don't live in Ireland as they never would have gotten their business off the ground here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The late Dr. Pearse Lyons, Alltech founder. Created a genuine world class business from a new animal nutrition approach, with yeast and enzymes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

kingofclay wrote: »
    Based on competition it's probably one of the EPL players. Probably Robbie Brady in terms of pure talent. It's hard to say though, hurling and football are so minor but they're such institutions that even if Hurling or football were global sports, Ireland would probably still be a top 10 team most of the time(think of Croatia in football) So Joe Canning probably stakes a claim. McGregor perhaps but competition to get where Brady got is higher than McGregor. But McGregor is a phenom, Brady is a run of the mill EPL player.

This question has too wide a span to get one person to cover everything.
    I was the watching the hurling on the tele yesterday and I have to say that Joe Canning's shooting was a thing of beauty. I appreciate he is capable of missing the target on occasion, but the wrist action seems completely effortless as he drops the sliothar over the bar from distance. That is some talent. And this from a corkman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

The Supervet Noel Fitzpatrick. His passion for his job, always trying to save animals as much as he can, he seems like a very decent human being and he's not one to not take a risk to give an animal a better life. His work on bionic limbs is phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭spurshero

Anybody who thinks Katie Taylor is Ireland s most talented person needs to get a grip . A champion no doubt but in a thug minority sport . Couldn’t compare her to Harrington majors or Doherty winning world snooker or Keane s champions league etc. at least I couldn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭chicorytip

JP Mc Manus who clearly is a genius in the sense of having accumulated a vast fortune by doing - well, exactly what nobody really seems to know. Does the fact that he is a tax exile disqualify him?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

spurshero wrote: »
    Anybody who thinks Katie Taylor is Ireland s most talented person needs to get a grip . A champion no doubt but in a thug minority sport . Couldn’t compare her to Harrington majors or Doherty winning world snooker or Keane s champions league etc. at least I couldn’t

The most boring fcuker ever in what's barely even a sport. Pass.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

KKkitty wrote: »
    ...he's not one to not take a risk...

Except when he's so tired he can barely stand up but still insists on operating on spinal injuries...:confused:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

John Connors, such a diverse actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

John Connors, such a diverse actor.

You sound like you'd enjoy the John Connors Appreciation Thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Silly question really. Also the OP suggests that the most talented person is the land is known publicly. Not necessarily. Not that there is a 'most talented person' anyway. How would one gauge that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

Padraig Harrington.

3 time major winner in a global sport that is extremely difficult to win multiple majors in.Over 20 professional tournaments won.

PGA tour player of the year in 2008.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Cathal Ó Searcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

johnayo wrote: »
    This question has too wide a span to get one person to cover everything.
    I was the watching the hurling on the tele yesterday and I have to say that Joe Canning's shooting was a thing of beauty. I appreciate he is capable of missing the target on occasion, but the wrist action seems completely effortless as he drops the sliothar over the bar from distance. That is some talent. And this from a corkman.

Aye, if hurling was a global sport, Joe Canning would be our only truly top class hurler from the last 40 or 50 years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Joe Dog wrote: »
    Padraig Harrington.

3 time major winner in a global sport that is extremely difficult to win multiple majors in.Over 20 professional tournaments won.

PGA tour player of the year in 2008.

He's our most talented golfer? Tell me, are you one of those partitionists?

Wes Hoolahan.

Greatest soccer player of all time according to members of the irish media.So I doesn't think anyone else named here will be able to compete with that.

He's our most talented golfer? Tell me, are you one of those partitionists?

I don't want to get dragged into a McIlroy is he or isn't he irish debate (as he doesn't really want to be identified as irish) so I didn't mention him.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Everyone mentioned so far is a sportsperson/entertainer, fairly superficial stuff that ultimately has little impact on the world. Only reason they're mentioned is due to their prominence in the media. That's a poor way to measure talent.

Surely there must be some Irish scientists/engineers doing good work out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Bertie.
    Talent of persuasion and likeability.

Paddy kavanagh (rip)

Paul McGrath

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Fassbender is up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

The lad who does the limbo dancing on Grafton Street every summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,327 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Sharon Ní Bheoláin!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

George Best.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

Bono, unfortunately, whether we like it or not.

And Michael flatley of course

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

_Brian wrote: »
    Talent is very specific.

I doubt Katie Taylor would beat one of my kids at swimming so does that mean she’s more talented than Katie Taylor ??

People may be the most talented at a specific task but there’s no such thing as “the most talented person in Ireland”

I would think of someone who has the most talents in ireland as anything in a particular field is very subjective as you say

I don't know who that would be though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭jiltloop

The first one that jumps to mind for me is Daniel Day Lewis. He is quite simply one of the best actors of his generation and greatly respected and appreciated within the craft by his peers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

jiltloop wrote: »
    The first one that jumps to mind for me is Daniel Day Lewis. He is quite simply one of the best actors of his generation and greatly respected and appreciated within the craft by his peers.

Not Irish.

Advertisement