Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

anyone who was in the dressing room in Cusack Park was deemed a close contact.

So were they all in the one dressing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Fred Daly wrote: »
    So were they all in the one dressing room.
    dont know, there has been 3 cases so even if they used multiple rooms the players who picked up the virus could have been in different rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Grats

dont know, there has been 3 cases so even if they used multiple rooms the players who picked up the virus could have been in different rooms.

Very odd happenings with covid positive cases and how the Wexford chairman views it.

Following the first two cases he had this to say -Martin said that Wexford would conduct their own “internal contact tracing” but that, for the most part, the rest of the squad would be deemed only casual contacts of the two players who have tested positive.

After the third case this is what he had to say - Following receipt of these results at lunchtime today and further consultation with public health officials, it was agreed that there was a possibility of transmission with the squad and players will restrict movements until further testing next week.

I hope Croke Park understand it all because it's been a very confusing week.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

If the game actually goes ahead on Sunday Kilkenny would want to be careful. Firstly, there is the very real threat of some of our players contracting COVID from the Wexford players. Secondly, if any Wexford player tests positive for COVID a few days after the match they could name some of our players as close contacts and then they would miss our next match.

Whatever happened with the Wexford players naming two Clare players as close contacts and not any of their own team (I don't think we'll ever know the real truth) it has set a very dangerous precedent now. What is to stop any player from any team (club or county) naming another player as a close contact in order to put them out of an important match? I would like to think that wouldn't happen but some managers & players would do this to gain an advantage.

The two Clare players who were named as close contacts and missed the Laois match are entitled to feel very aggrieved, as is Brian Lohan. It must be very frustrating for them to see this happen but yet not one Wexford player (that we know of) was named as a close contact. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The GAA are to blame for this. They introduced rules last year which classed all players as casual contacts NOT close contacts but yet they stood back and allowed two Clare players be named incorrectly as close contacts.

• Advertisement

SteJer wrote: »
    If the game actually goes ahead on Sunday Kilkenny would want to be careful. Firstly, there is the very real threat of some of our players contracting COVID from the Wexford players. Secondly, if any Wexford player tests positive for COVID a few days after the match they could name some of our players as close contacts and then they would miss our next match.

Whatever happened with the Wexford players naming two Clare players as close contacts and not any of their own team (I don't think we'll ever know the real truth) it has set a very dangerous precedent now. What is to stop any player from any team (club or county) naming another player as a close contact in order to put them out of an important match? I would like to think that wouldn't happen but some managers & players would do this to gain an advantage.

The two Clare players who were named as close contacts and missed the Laois match are entitled to feel very aggrieved, as is Brian Lohan. It must be very frustrating for them to see this happen but yet not one Wexford player (that we know of) was named as a close contact. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The GAA are to blame for this. They introduced rules last year which classed all players as casual contacts NOT close contacts but yet they stood back and allowed two Clare players be named incorrectly as close contacts.
    all of the Wexford players have been deemed close contacts and are isolating currently and getting tested today, I don't know at what point they were deemed close contacts, also studies have shown particularly no covid had been spread on the field of play in Soccer, Rugby and American Football, cases traced back were generally indoor settings or cars.

Think the HSE made a balls up in relation to the Clare players but thankfully they've returned negative tests are not feeling unwell at any stage by all accounts.

all of the Wexford players have been deemed close contacts and are isolating currently and getting tested today, I don't know at what point they were deemed close contacts, also studies have shown particularly no covid had been spread on the field of play in Soccer, Rugby and American Football, cases traced back were generally indoor settings or cars.

Think the HSE made a balls up in relation to the Clare players but thankfully they've returned negative tests are not feeling unwell at any stage by all accounts.

I think they were only very secretly & swiftly deemed close contacts late on Sunday evening after a certain interview was aired.

I think they were very secretly only deemed close contacts late on Sunday evening after a certain interview was aired.
    they haven't trained sense the Clare match

Are you sure about that as it begs the question as to why they were deemed closed contacts after the THIRD positive case but not initially.

Grats wrote: »
    Are you sure about that as it begs the question as to why they were deemed closed contacts after the THIRD positive case but not initially.
    They didn't train the Tuesday night after the Clare game as a precaution, the whole close contacts thing is very strange, if Lohan's claims are true then GDPR and patent privacy rules would have been broken as calls between positive cases and HSE staff are meant to be confidential.

• Advertisement

Whether they have trained or not since the Clare match still doesn't explain why they were not classed as close contacts at the same time as the two Clare players were.

In fact it would make a very strange situation all the more strange. If it's true (possibly not) that they haven't trained since the Clare match why was the match against Kilkenny only called off on Saturday?

If they were not training but instead in isolation (as you said) why was the match against Kilkenny not called off earlier in the week? As close contacts of a confirmed case they would have to isolate for at least 10 days which means they would have known the match against Kilkenny couldn't possibly take place.

The way it looks to me without knowing the facts (nobody does) is none of the panel or backroom team were named as close contacts of the two original COVID cases (if they were the match would have been called off early last week). They then hoped for the best as they were worried they would have to give Kilkenny a w/o. When a third positive COVID case was discovered on Friday they had no choice but to start naming other players as close contacts and only then started to isolate. Possibly too little too late as several more players could be infected now which means they might be forced to play a weakened team against Kilkenny or give them a w/o.

A walkover would be my guess. Davy won't send out a weakened team against Kilkenny. Maintaining his record of wins against Cody is as important to Davy as winning trophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Got to be involved with a nice deep dive with Brian Hogan if anyone interested....

Pure gent

https://scoreline.ie/the-clash-act-020-brian-hogan-kilkennys-seven-time-all-ireland-winner/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Sirsok wrote: »
    Got to be involved with a nice deep dive with Brian Hogan if anyone interested....

Pure gent

https://scoreline.ie/the-clash-act-020-brian-hogan-kilkennys-seven-time-all-ireland-winner/

Kind of amazing he only had two all stars, he was in the middle of the greatest half back line that probably ever played the game. Being the less prominent of the three probably played against him when it was selection time for the awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

Kind of amazing he only had two all stars, he was in the middle of the greatest half back line that probably ever played the game. Being the less prominent of the three probably played against him when it was selection time for the awards.
    Wow never knew that stat!..should have had more. Not my favourite CB by any stretch but he was some man to 'hold' the line and sit deep. JJ and Tommy were just legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

kk.man wrote: »
    Wow never knew that stat!..should have had more. Not my favourite CB by any stretch but he was some man to 'hold' the line and sit deep. JJ and Tommy were just legend.

Cant remember the the year but there was a match against Galway where Hogan got "cleaned" by the CF (possibly Tannian) and RTE pundits were calling for him to be taken off. Hogan came out and had the game of his life in the 2nd half and could have been man of the match for one half alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭randd1

From my recollection, I don't think Kilkenny ever lost a championship game where Delaney, Hogan and Walsh started as the HB line.

That's some going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Village87

He had Noel Hickey behind him, JJ and Tommy each side, Mick Fenn and Cha/Lyng/ Rice in front of him, Eoin Larkin dropping back to help to. Could have brought his armchair with him to some matches.

On another note, talk of covid outbreak in Kk camp

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Neewollah

Confirmed case yesterday. All players being tested today

Village87 wrote: »
    Talk of more positive cases in the Wexford camp. I will be surprised if the match goes ahead this weekend.

Any update on this rumour?

• Advertisement

That's good news anyway. Great to have the match finally going ahead after all the confusion over the last two weeks. Hope the GAA learn from it and step in swiftly in future.

I think Brian Lohan's suspicions and frustrations have been proven by the announcement Wexford are back training. If their own players had been named as close contacts (like the two Clare players) they would still be in isolation and not permitted to train. There is something very strange going on but nobody seems to know for sure. Clare are blaming Wexford, Wexford are blaming the HSE South-East, the HSE Mid-West and blaming the HSE South-East. The GAA continue to be very quiet. It has been left hanging now for almost a week without any clarity from anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,252 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I think Brian Lohan's suspicions and frustrations have been proven by the announcement Wexford are back training. If their own players had been named as close contacts (like the two Clare players) they would still be in isolation and not permitted to train. There is something very strange going on but nobody seems to know for sure. Clare are blaming Wexford, Wexford are blaming the HSE South-East, the HSE Mid-West and blaming the HSE South-East. The GAA continue to be very quiet. It has been left hanging now for almost a week without any clarity from anyone.

The "ahh twill be grand shur" method ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

greenspurs wrote: »
    The "ahh twill be grand shur" method ?

Exactly. The GAA cannot be allowed to get away with just sitting on their hands and watching members being mistreated. They allowed the covid issue to fester for almost two weeks. Showed no leadership.

how are the suspicions proven? The wexford panel were tested yesterday and all the tests came back negative, so 30 players in the Wexford panel were tested Tuesday and Friday last week and yesterday and got 3 negative tests and 3 players tested positive 2 early last week and 1 on Friday of last week.

The whole thing is very strange and the 2 clare lads been deemed close contacts was a nonsense, also Brian Lohan said in his interview on RTE he was contacted by the HSE while the statement Clare released said Lohan contacted the HSE himself, whole thing is a ****show.

The book stops with Croke Park. They need to investigate, themselves, and try to establish what exactly went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Village87

The one big concern listening to the Brian Hogan podcast was how easily he drops all these great forwards names in Kilkenny club hurling during his time. About 10 or 12 roll off the tongue and the great club matches they were involved in. Compare that to today when Riche and TJ who are 33/34 and will probably retire soon, I cant think of any others. It sends a shiver down my spine. Kilkenny hurling is at a low ebb at the moment.

Village87 wrote: »
    The one big concern listening to the Brian Hogan podcast was how easily he drops all these great forwards names in Kilkenny club hurling during his time. About 10 or 12 roll off the tongue and the great club matches they were involved in. Compare that to today when Riche and TJ who are 33/34 and will probably retire soon I cant think of any others. It sends a shiver down my spine.

All the more reason we shouldn't be in such a rush to have current County players dropped. Ask the question first, who do we have to replace them? Speaking of which, you particularly wanted a whole raft of players dropped for a while now but rarely, if ever, came up with new players. Can you share their replacements with us at this stage?

• Advertisement

how are the suspicions proven? The wexford panel were tested yesterday and all the tests came back negative, so 30 players in the Wexford panel were tested Tuesday and Friday last week and yesterday and got 3 negative tests and 3 players tested positive 2 early last week and 1 on Friday of last week.

The whole thing is very strange and the 2 clare lads been deemed close contacts was a nonsense, also Brian Lohan said in his interview on RTE he was contacted by the HSE while the statement Clare released said Lohan contacted the HSE himself, whole thing is a ****show.

It's suspicious enough as close contacts have to self-isolate for a minimum of 10 days regardless if they test negative. It seems no Wexford players were officially named as close contacts yet two Clare players were.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement