Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Grats

laneykin wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is with McGarry? Is he still involved with the team? Noticed at the homecoming when they thanked all the team and backroom he wasn’t mentioned.

I guess it was an oversight. If he is gone he still deserved to be thanked.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Corrigible

I’m living overseas so I am not up to date with the hurlers at a club level in Kilkenny. So can someone in the know tell me who’s out there to bring something new to the team. Looking for cool heads under pressure, a bit of pace if possible and of course hurling ability. This is the team who lined out in the AI. Who would you replace them with? Throw me a bone here, I’m seriously depressed from last weekend.
    1. Eoin Murphy (Glenmore)

2. Paul Murphy (Danesfort)
    3. Huw Lawlor (O’Loughlin Gaels)
    4. Joey Holden (Ballyhale Shamrocks)

5. Conor Fogarty (Erin’s Own)
    6. Pádraig Walsh (Tullaroan)
    7. Paddy Deegan (O’Loughlin Gaels)

8. Conor Browne (James Stephens)
    9. Cillian Buckley (Dicksboro)

10. John Donnelly (Thomastown)
    11. TJ Reid (Ballyhale Shamrocks)(captain)
    12. Walter Walsh (Tullogher Rosbercon)

13. Adrian Mullen (Ballyhale Shamrocks)
    14. Colin Fennelly (Ballyhale Shamrocks)
    15. Richie Hogan (Danesfort).

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Corrigible

I’m living overseas so I am not up to date with the hurlers at a club level in Kilkenny. So can someone in the know tell me who’s out there to bring something new to the team. Looking for cool heads under pressure, a bit of pace if possible and of course hurling ability. This is the team who lined out in the AI. Who would you replace them with? Throw me a bone here, I’m seriously depressed from last weekend.

A fully fit Buckley, Mullen and Hogan would have gone a long way towards a win. We should have started fit players in their place. Conor Delaney in at half back and switch Fogarty to midfield. Billy Ryan in for Mullen and Blanchfield for Hogan.

My starting half back line next year would be P Walsh, Conor Delaney and C Buckley. Now, build around that line.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Corrigible wrote: »

There's plenty you have delaney, Walsh and cleere in the backs, maher in midfield and possibly blanchfield in the forwards they are just alternatives really but I don't think Buckley should have started with little game time and thought browne would have gone man for man on mcgrath like he did on lynch. I'd like to see next year Evan shefflin, Darren mullen, David blanchfield, niall brassill and eoin Cody around the first team panel I feel they could build on what we have. I have think Cody could become hogan's long term successor. Let's not forget some positives of John donnelly, huw lawlor and Adrian mullen all young and have great futures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Mocker

Kilkenny Team 2020

E Murphy

P Murphy C Delaney P Deegan

P Walsh H Lawlor J Lawlor

C Browne J Maher

J Donnelly TJ Reid R Leahy

A Mullen C Fennelly B Sheehan

Subs
    J Holden R Hogan
    T Walsh W Walsh
    C Fogarty B Ryan
    C Buckley L Blanchfield
    M Keoghan E Cody
    G Aylward

Notes:
    1. If C Buckley can get back to full fitness he would be on 1st 15 but not as things stand.
    2. P Walsh & J Cleere would launch a lot of attacks from wingback
    3. Get the younger guys on a strength & conditioning programme straight away to be ready for next year.
    4. Mullen/Hogan (medial ligament)/Buckley weren't right & shouldn't have started just like 2010 when Henry/Tennyson (both cruciates) and Tommy (shoulder) weren't right - need to trust panel to play fully fit team with game time under their belts.
    5. Try H Lawlor centre back - big advantage to have man of his size who can move at centre back.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

If there's grounds for contesting a suspension( you don't appeal a referee's decision, you contest his decision) of course we should. It actually helps the rules of association if we make sure decisions are watertight).There's a handful of prominent GAA men some like Frank M, others with a legal background whom association encourages to query validity of rules-makes for a more robust organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

If there's grounds for contesting a suspension( you don't appeal a referee's decision, you contest his decision) of course we should. It actually helps the rules of association if we make sure decisions are watertight).There's a handful of prominent GAA men some like Frank M, others with a legal background whom association encourages to query validity of rules-makes for a more robust organisation.

I think we should just forget about it. Let it go now. Sounding like sour grapes at this stage.

That's just my personal opinion.

TJ deserves the same "luxury" as Horgan and Callanan - at 14 with good ball sent into him and not have to work his socks as he's been doing. He can drift out as required but I imagine he would do more damage at 14 than Fennelly. If Richie Leahy gets a clear run in the league and comes out the other end having performed to his capabilites, I'd start him in the Championship. Likewise with Aylward. They need to kick on at this stage. Hopefully Sheehan, Eoin Cody and others put pressure on him.

But most of all we need a decent game plan to get the best out of what we have. A forwards coach with sole responsibility would be a start. And likewise with the backs. With Cody overseeing it. We CANNOT continue with our current setup. The County Board need to lead in this regard. You could suggest that big bucks have brought the last to titles to the respective countues. Just look at the huge backroom teams. Hopefully all counties don't have to go down the same road but we in Kilkenny should take note.

Quote: citykat
    I presume you've seen the size of the extended panel and who is on it. Who exactly is missing that would bypass the extended panel, the match day 26 and walk straight into the team?

The above was in response to an earlier post by Village87. I don't expect him to be on Boards constantly but can we have your response when you do come back?

Anything to contribute yet Village87.

• Advertisement

I think we should just forget about it. Let it go now. Sounding like sour grapes at this stage.

Agree to some extent but I do think it's up to Richie Hogan to decide after he considers all available advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭randd1

Agreed.

Everybody knows the red card changed the game in favour of Tipp, but honestly, it was a red card. Forget the inconsistencies between different games, Owens make the correct decision as per the rules in this instance, and Richie can have no complaints.

There are far more important questions to answer in the aftermath of Sunday my opinion;

- Why did we start Buckley (who is clearly not hurling fit and hasn't played a full game in an age), Mullen (had a dose during the week where it's strongly rumoured he was on a drip for at one stage) & Richie Hogan (not capable of playing 70 minutes), 3 clearly unfit men, in an All-Ireland final?
    - Why, after 15 minutes at half time, was there no re-adjustment to compensate for the red card?
    - Why did management not intervene when we spent 20 minutes playing sky ball to Colin Fennelly with 3 men, who are all better in the air than he is, around him?
    - Beyond win your own ball or hope for a break, what game-plan do we have for creating goal opportunities, or making space for our forwards?

And bigger questions now that another decade has gone;

- Why we haven't won a U21 title in 12 years?
    - Even allowing for Galway's brilliant sides, how have we managed only one minor title since 2010 given our competitiveness at that level?
    - Why, now that we pretty much have a settled calendar, not introduced a proper and competitive non-county player league during the summer to give club players more games.
    - Why, outside of Kieran's, do our schools seem to be on a slide, and in line with that, with pretty much every underage hurler in the county going there, is there a chance that having so many lads at Kieran's is taking game time, and thus development, from some players?
    - Why, given the general competitiveness at minor level, why we're not developing lads at U20 that look like breaking into the county team?
    - Why do so many of our hurlers look like they lack the finesse of hurlers from other counties?

To be honest, I find that these are far more important questions than can we get Richie off for a what was in the rules a deserved red card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

randd1 wrote: »

Agreed.

Everybody knows the red card changed the game in favour of Tipp, but honestly, it was a red card. Forget the inconsistencies between different games, Owens make the correct decision as per the rules in this instance, and Richie can have no complaints.

There are far more important questions to answer in the aftermath of Sunday my opinion;

- Why did we start Buckley (who is clearly not hurling fit and hasn't played a full game in an age), Mullen (had a dose during the week where it's strongly rumoured he was on a drip for at one stage) & Richie Hogan (not capable of playing 70 minutes), 3 clearly unfit men, in an All-Ireland final?
    - Why, after 15 minutes at half time, was there no re-adjustment to compensate for the red card?
    - Why did management not intervene when we spent 20 minutes playing sky ball to Colin Fennelly with 3 men, who are all better in the air than he is, around him?
    - Beyond win your own ball or hope for a break, what game-plan do we have for creating goal opportunities, or making space for our forwards?

And bigger questions now that another decade has gone;

- Why we haven't won a U21 title in 12 years?
    - Even allowing for Galway's brilliant sides, how have we managed only one minor title since 2010 given our competitiveness at that level?
    - Why, now that we pretty much have a settled calendar, not introduced a proper and competitive non-county player league during the summer to give club players more games.
    - Why, outside of Kieran's, do our schools seem to be on a slide, and in line with that, with pretty much every underage hurler in the county going there, is there a chance that having so many lads at Kieran's is taking game time, and thus development, from some players?
    - Why, given the general competitiveness at minor level, why we're not developing lads at U20 that look like breaking into the county team?
    - Why do so many of our hurlers look like they lack the finesse of hurlers from other counties?

To be honest, I find that these are far more important questions than can we get Richie off for a what was in the rules a deserved red card.

Question for you not being smart how many under age games have you seen

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

The cody must go crew are back .did ye enjoy the summer off .with beating a fancied cork team and a unbeatable limerick team I would imagine ye were nearly hoping things would take a turn.
    The fact is we hurled as good as we have done in years this year with a few new faces.
    Mullen yhoty could be anything
    Donnelly (only a few months older than Mullen)outstanding possible motm nomination in the final 19 possessions and 3 points 4 assists.
    Lawler ever improving and will be a pillar of our defense
    Browne is the new fogarty
    Deegen settled in nicely
    Billy Ryan starter next year
    If we could get Delaney on the field
    James Maher nominated for all star last had tough year with injury
    And more out of leahy
    Throw in eoin cody and possible bill shehan
    That is a massive turnaround of players in a short time.
    Can anyone name a player outside the 40+ lads that are inside that should be starting.
    And we get to a final.
    Talk of modern styles and systems are just that.
    Sweepers make you competitive but we are better than that.
    The give Eddie or Henry the job shouts are premature
    Henry is probably going to dominate our own club championships for the next few years.
    And Eddie will have to back up this years work and a bit more before he is in the running.
    Keep building we are not that faraway.

Was their not enough young guys playing in their first all Ireland.
    How many more would you have started.
    The way some lads talk about the kilkenny setup you would think we were lifting churns and digging turf for training.
    Kilkenny are doing all the stuff other county panels do
    S&C programs for individuals
    Body fat analysis full time dietitians
    Michael Dempsey is a lecturer in carlow in sport science.
    Very easy come on here and list faults with a setup.
    I would say list answers. Because I guarantee you the kilkenny backroom team
    Have already looked at everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

First time posting on here since the match and I was fairly accepting of the result on Sunday and most of the week (not happy in anyway but very much a "se la vie" attitude) and that look we had a good year blaa blaa, and we did but I just heard a few things from impeccable sources, only one of which I will repeat here but it's fairly set my blood boiling. I hadn't even read the posts on here or read any of the papers the only thing I listened to was Richies interview which I thought was very good.

Anyway one of my friends was playing in the Teach Tom charity golf tournament on Wednesday in Gowran. Who did he get paired with only Brendan Cummins. On their round and inevitably the match starts to be discussed and eventually the red card. Cummins told him that the RTE pundits were able to listen to the refs mic. He said that the linesman told Owens that, and I'm paraphrasing here "It was just a foul and that Barrett was hamming it up and he'd seen him smiling to the medical staff. No card was needed". So to those who said that the ref took his time to consult his linesman before he made his decision, whats the justification of ignoring your linesman who you've consulted, if he wasn't feed something from somewhere else. Which we all know is not currently legislated for in the game. I think Richie should definitely appeal the decision and expose what really went on.

Well done to Tipperary and this is not having a go at them or even Barrett (although that kind of stuff is why I stopped watching soccer years ago.) We'll hopefully be back and give them a right game 15 on 15 next time. Almost anything else I was going to say has been said in the previous 20 pages of posts I just read through.

For those calling for Henry to take charge, I can tell you from the mouth of one of his fellow club officials, It's highly unlikely that he would attempt it anytime soon with 5 kids so young and the requirements of his job. He found the time commitment at club level very hard to achieve to his satisfaction last year and as we can probably all guess the time commitment at intercounty is just huge altogether so I honestly wouldn't see him throwing his hat in the ring anytime in the immediate future.

I think the likes of Derek Lyng who is really well liked and respected by the players would be a good candidate.

Another interesting option might be Peter Barry who transformed the Villages year in 2017 when they got to a county final another that might not commit to the job though with work and family life.

Personally I've worked with Mark Dowling in the Boro and would think he would be a very good option but again the top lads all have good jobs and young families

In relation to what tbiggertycome posted re Owens and before anybody starts reminding us all that it was "definitely" a red card - bear in mind that a ref and his officials adjudicate on what THEY see not what different TV angles show. If Owen's was using other means in making his decisions he should have done the same with the blow to Hogan.

An interesting one for the CCCC to deal with.

For those calling for Henry to take charge, I can tell you from the mouth of one of his fellow club officials, It's highly unlikely that he would attempt it anytime soon with 5 kids so young and the requirements of his job. He found the time commitment at club level very hard to achieve to his satisfaction last year and as we can probably all guess the time commitment at intercounty is just huge altogether so I honestly wouldn't see him throwing his hat in the ring anytime in the immediate future.

I think the likes of Derek Lyng who is really well liked and respected by the players would be a good candidate.

Another interesting option might be Peter Barry who transformed the Villages year in 2017 when they got to a county final another that might not commit to the job though with work and family life.

Personally I've worked with Mark Dowling in the Boro and would think he would be a very good option but again the top lads all have good jobs and young families

Leave Cody there with a forwards and backs coach to help him? They could act as selectors, or not, depending on their personal commitments.

Grats wrote: »

Leave Cody there with a forwards and backs coach to help him? They could act as selectors or not depending on their personal commitments.

Oh I wasn't calling for Cody to go (this timeðŸ˜) I started out merely pointing out the Henry would be very unlikely to take the roll if it was available. I then threw out a few options that might take the job.

I have a friend who knows Cody a little personally (which is much more than most) he reckons there's a 40% chance that Cody might step away this year where as he would normally have that chance at about 5 or at most a 10% chance. So while more than normal it's still unlikely and as someone pointed out the County Board will not ask Cody to step aside. I would like to see him stay on and perhaps add to his backroom although 1 or 2 there may step away either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 premiertipp

First time posting on here since the match and I was fairly accepting of the result on Sunday and most of the week (not happy in anyway but very much a "se la vie" attitude) and that look we had a good year blaa blaa, and we did but I just heard a few things from impeccable sources, only one of which I will repeat here but it's fairly set my blood boiling. I hadn't even read the posts on here or read any of the papers the only thing I listened to was Richies interview which I thought was very good.

Anyway one of my friends was playing in the Teach Tom charity golf tournament on Wednesday in Gowran. Who did he get paired with only Brendan Cummins. On their round and inevitably the match starts to be discussed and eventually the red card. Cummins told him that the RTE pundits were able to listen to the refs mic. He said that the linesman told Owens that, and I'm paraphrasing here "It was just a foul and that Barrett was hamming it up and he'd seen him smiling to the medical staff. No card was needed". So to those who said that the ref took his time to consult his linesman before he made his decision, whats the justification of ignoring your linesman who you've consulted, if he wasn't feed something from somewhere else. Which we all know is not currently legislated for in the game. I think Richie should definitely appeal the decision and expose what really went on.

Well done to Tipperary and this is not having a go at them or even Barrett (although that kind of stuff is why I stopped watching soccer years ago.) We'll hopefully be back and give them a right game 15 on 15 next time. Almost anything else I was going to say has been said in the previous 20 pages of posts I just read through.

Do you really think Brendan Cummins-by all accounts a fairly intelligent man- would say that at a charity golf match IN KILKENNY..really????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Do you really think Brendan Cummins-by all accounts a fairly intelligent man-made would say that at a charity golf match IN KILKENNY..really????

Yeah, this. As a Galway supporter I was hoping both of ye would somehow lose but there’s no chance Brendan Cummins came out with the quote as described above.

It has either been hugely exaggerated (something like the linesman thought a yellow was sufficient) or totally fabricated.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

There's always one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Why are we still talking about this

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JohnCougar

Was their not enough young guys playing in their first all Ireland.
    How many more would you have started.
    The way some lads talk about the kilkenny setup you would think we were lifting churns and digging turf for training.
    Kilkenny are doing all the stuff other county panels do
    S&C programs for individuals
    Body fat analysis full time dietitians
    Michael Dempsey is a lecturer in carlow in sport science.
    Very easy come on here and list faults with a setup.
    I would say list answers. Because I guarantee you the kilkenny backroom team
    Have already looked at everything.

If they have looked at everything why did they allow the following:

(1) Richie Hogan to start if his medial ligament was gone
    (2) Adrian Mullen to start if he was sick
    (3) Cillian Buckley to start when he is clearly not himself
    (4) Why was Bill Sheehan warming up and looked to be fine before the game if he faied a fitness test ??

(5) Why have our U-21/U-20's being physically behind all other teams since 2008??

Also why is Colin Fennelly clearly not at match fitness for inter county hurling and has not been fit for the last 2/3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I don't think you could say we were physically behind at U20 this year. Serious strength and conditioning work was done with that panel and you could tell they're all big strong men for their age.

Our problem throughout the age grades continues to be speed. And you can talk about S&C all you like but you're either fast or you're not. All about the breeding there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Well I was at a cookery course with Richie Hogan's barber. When Richie had to wait to have his haircut last Saturday, he reached for the Irish Times and was scribbling away beneath the crossword. When the barber saw the paper at the end of the day, written in big capitals was "lamp Barrett in the chin with the elbow". Clearly premeditated!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JohnCougar

D9Male wrote: »
    Well I was at a cookery course with Richie Hogan's barber. When Richie had to wait to have his haircut last Saturday, he reached for the Irish Times and was scribbling away beneath the crossword. When the barber saw the paper at the end of the day, written in big capitals was "lamp Barrett in the chin with the elbow". Clearly premeditated!

You should have stayed at the cookery course , silly comments really. Brendan Cummins did tell people that the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Saddleview

I don't think you could say we were physically behind at U20 this year. Serious strength and conditioning work was done with that panel and you could tell they're all big strong men for their age.

Our problem throughout the age grades continues to be speed. And you can talk about S&C all you like but you're either fast or you're not. All about the breeding there.

Agree re speed but there's definitely more our county can do to nurture it. The development squads machine is efficient across the country and larger counties are getting their best athletes and hurlers on the field. Having a lower population than our big rivals means we have to get every drop out of what we have. And it's not just speed. It's agility, nimbleness and quickfooted we really lack in. I believe it's something our county has to look at but unfortunately it's something that has to be caught and coached from a very early age (unfortunately not as interesting as throwing the ball in).

The squads were great but more can be done. This year's minor A championship will be extremely weak, exception the Boro, and partly because the minor county squad is spread throughout the county. But my main worry is the club players left behind. There has to be a widening of the net to assist the rising tides lifts all boats etc. Kids are idle because of the county, and increasingly are not from big families hurling against each other in free time.

I still can't understand our huge drop off from minor to U21.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

In regards to speed, could an athletics coach not be brought into development squads over the wintwr to work on players' speed?

I think that should be looked at in tandem with an S & C coach. An by this I mean, a proper sprint coach who can improve a player's pace over 5 yards say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭brookville

Grats wrote: »
    Leave Cody there with a forwards and backs coach to help him? They could act as selectors, or not, depending on their personal commitments.

If brian stays on as expected and theres change to the backroom team who would be in line?id say dj could come on board.Mick dempsey was lauded here after the limerick match for having our lads in great nick.when we lose a match then everything is wrong.As i said i dont think we were as bad as last sunday but things completly imploded in the secound half.The players need to take responsibility aswell especially experienced lads persisting with route one while the management deserve critism for playing lads who werent a hundred percent but yet im sure if u look back at posts here before the final we nearly all wanted richie starting and buckley for experience if he was anyway right.I think whatever happens anyway most of us would like to see fresh faces and a more varied approach.
    Ive no doubt we have some good players and a very healthy club championship so hopefully a few more lads can make a good impression over the next few weeks especially a few goal scorers.A few lads id like to see getting a look at are conor doheny and shane walsh.I dunno if he would go back for bolger or walsh and not going to open that debate now but both are very direct.David blanchfield very good for the u20s.O loughlins have some promising young players.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement