Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army medical and mental health

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

Ya I’m out of this to. It’s like talking to a wall. As above not what he wanted to hear. The military isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 25 HomemadeMummy

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Until minutes ago I wasn't actually made aware that the documents I'm asking for are restricted. I'm willing to listen but I really don't think I should be getting so much **** for wanting sources. Is it really such a bad quality to want your facts to be facts? I understand now that I'm not privy to this information, which I accept, but should that not have been the case I think I'm absolutely in the right to want evidence. I study law and I've been trained as to the importance of evidence, but some people on this thread seem to think there's something wrong with me for wanting it. The fact of the matter is that I'm in a good mental place now, my problems were the result of circumstances which aren't present anymore and I am not a liar.

You're in a good place now, happy for you and that's genuine. However you were in a bad place before and this males you mentally unfit for service. Accept or don't accept your choice and time. I would as I already stated choose a different career. Anyway best of luck I'm wasting no more of my time responding. You got properly informed about your chances just not what you wanted to hear. Bye.

I never said I didn't believe anyone when they told me that, I only asked for evidence because usually that's what facts have. I understand now that that evidence isn't available to me because it's restricted and I accept that, but I wasn't told that off the bat hence my persistence. I'm sorry you feel you've wasted your time but I thank you for taking it.

Bmw123d wrote: »
    That's really not your call, you don't know a thing about me.

Ur right it’s not my call but I’m the one in the know and I’ve tried explaining to you every way possible. Have u listened no u haven’t. Why because u think u know best. I bet you that u will be one of these guys now that when ur told u didn’t pass ur medical that u will have to chase that and go on about ur law facts. Well guess what the army won’t have to answer you.

I’ve being nice and I’ve tried to be helpful but u are clueless. The fact is YOU WILL NOT GET INTO THE DEFENCE FORCES

Is this how you respond to everyone who doesn't automatically believe you? I respect that you've taken the time to help me out, but the fact is you basically just repeated the same thing to me several times and expected that to convince me. I don't think I know best, that's why I came here, and thanks to other posters who explained why I couldn't access any evidence I understand. Not to mention, I was a little sceptical when you advised me to commit enlistment fraud, although by your own admission you regularly lie to medical officers, so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised.

Edit: as bmw123d explains below, his mental health issues were a result of lariam and he has not lied to medical officers in his career.

Is this how you respond to everyone who doesn't automatically believe you? I respect that you've taken the time to help me out, but the fact is you basically just repeated the same thing to me several times and expected that to convince me. I don't think I know best, that's why I came here, and thanks to other posters who explained why I couldn't access any evidence I understand. Not to mention, I was a little sceptical when you advised me to commit enlistment fraud, although by your own admission you regularly lie to medical officers, so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised.

I’ve never in my career lied to a medical officer so I ask mods to remove that comment and I advise you to take that down making accusations like that. I’m being serious with u. What I told you was basically that it was up to you to tell them or not. Remove that post immediately

I’ve never in my career lied to a medical officer so I ask mods to remove that comment and I advise you to take that down making accusations like that. I’m being serious with u. What I told you was basically that it was up to you to tell them or not. Remove that post immediately

In this thread you've stated that you're a serving member of the PDF, that you've dealt with mental health problems in your past and that anyone who's suffered from them is immediately disqualified from service. Since all serving members receive an annual medical, the only conclusion that can possibly be drawn from those facts is that during your annual medicals you do not inform the medical officer of your past mental health issues.

• Advertisement

In this thread you've stated that you're a serving member of the PDF, that you've dealt with mental health problems in your past and that anyone who's suffered from them is immediately disqualified from service. Since all serving members receive an annual medical, the only conclusion that can possibly be drawn from those facts is that during your annual medicals you do not inform the medical officer of your past mental health issues.

Ya and if u have read my post you no I suffer from mental health issues brought on by medication the military gave me know as lariam. Now like a good fella remove ur post accusing me of stuff u know nothing about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I did see that, but it's unclear if depression is considered a 'serious' illness. Furthermore it seems to me that it would be up to the medical officer whether or not it's likely to interfere with performance of duty. I'm sorry if you guys think I'm being anal or annoying, but by the strictest reading of the rules available to me it would seem I'm in with a chance.

Depression is classed as a serious illness as is any illness, disability or issue which has the potential to affect your military service.

I know for a FACT you will not be accepted into the DF with a prior mental health issue. I have personally been involved with Recruit interviews and the Recruitment process. Any applicant who declared current or prior serious illness (including being on medication for depression) was either unsuccessful for an offer of Enlistment/Cadetship or were refered to the Medical Corps for assessment. Needless to say, we never saw them gonany further in the Recruitment process.

By proxy, there is your answer.

Feel free to ignore it but I am sure you will not accept ANY answer here unless Restricted medical instructions are posted...which they will not.

I recommend writing a letter to your TD, the Director of the Medical Corps or the FOI office. through your "Law" practice or buddies to gain satisfaction.

However, you will gain the same information which has been furnished here.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭cygnet

I too have served in the Defence Forces - developed 'mental issues' attended the Psych team in Bricins and the HSE on lots of meds and counselling - never an issue with re-enlisting . Mental issues are wide and varying and only a medical officer will decide . I admire you trying to be upfront about your previous history and that is the only way to deal with it.
    I say go for it - once you are better now - you are equal to everyone else.

best of luck with your application and I honestly hope it all works out for you :)

cygnet wrote: »
    I too have served in the Defence Forces - developed 'mental issues' attended the Psych team in Bricins and the HSE on lots of meds and counselling - never an issue with re-enlisting . Mental issues are wide and varying and only a medical officer will decide . I admire you trying to be upfront about your previous history and that is the only way to deal with it.

best of luck with your application and I honestly hope it all works out for you :)

It is slightly different in your case as you were serving when the issue manifested itself.

The reason you were signed back on is due to the DF 'duty of care' towards you. While you are in 'treatment' you cannot be discharges as the DF cannot be sure you will not recover. If they kick you out, it could have legal implications.

Now, if the DF has exhausted all avenues of treatment and itvis difinitive you will not recover, the medical board will usually discharge you.

Again, your case and the OPs are different. The DF will not accept someone with prior or current issues as the DF will then be legally, morally and financially responsible for them.

I have seen Recruits in training get kicked out because they did not disclose they were Coeliac. It became evudent very fast and he was gone a few days later....that just a dietry issue not a mental one.

To encourage someone with a history of mental illness to join is irresponsible. If you are in long enough, you would be aware of a number of tragic accounts of suicide throughout the DF in the past....unofficially attributes to psychological issues.

The fact is, its not the ideal environment for a person who does or did suffer with depression.

Depression + Weapons + Live ammunition = A bad risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭cygnet

depression is a widely used word nowadays and wrongly so in a lot of cases - there are different types of depression and for different reasons - one can be depressed for numerous causes but not suffering from clinical depression - someone could be having a bad time and described as depressed even only getting 5 numbers in the Lotto.Sometimes it is taken totally out of context.
    Let the chap go ahead with his application and see where the chips fall - nothing ventured nothing gained

depression is a widely used word nowadays and wrongly so in a lot of cases - there are different types of depression and for different reasons - one can be depressed for numerous causes but not suffering from clinical depression - someone could be having a bad time and described as depressed even only getting 5 numbers in the Lotto.Sometimes it is taken totally out of context.
    Let the chap go ahead with his application and see where the chips fall - nothing ventured nothing gained

I agree with the crux of your post but I disagree with accepting applicants with a prior or current mental health issue. This guy was medicated for depression...it wasnt self labelled.

This thread is obviously not genuine but the issues are. I stand by my comments.

Chewbacca wrote: »
    I did see that, but it's unclear if depression is considered a 'serious' illness. Furthermore it seems to me that it would be up to the medical officer whether or not it's likely to interfere with performance of duty. I'm sorry if you guys think I'm being anal or annoying, but by the strictest reading of the rules available to me it would seem I'm in with a chance.

Depression is classed as a serious illness as is any illness, disability or issue which has the potential to affect your military service.

I know for a FACT you will not be accepted into the DF with a prior mental health issue. I have personally been involved with Recruit interviews and the Recruitment process. Any applicant who declared current or prior serious illness (including being on medication for depression) was either unsuccessful for an offer of Enlistment/Cadetship or were refered to the Medical Corps for assessment. Needless to say, we never saw them gonany further in the Recruitment process.

By proxy, there is your answer.

Feel free to ignore it but I am sure you will not accept ANY answer here unless Restricted medical instructions are posted...which they will not.

I recommend writing a letter to your TD, the Director of the Medical Corps or the FOI office. through your "Law" practice or buddies to gain satisfaction.

However, you will gain the same information which has been furnished here.

Since it's been explained to me that the information I'm looking for is restricted, I have stated numerous times that I accept this, despite this you feel the need to tell me I won't listen when I am. I fully expect to be rejected, I'm still going to try because I'm not a quitter, but I wholeheartedly accept the consensus of this thread. I don't have a TD because, as stated, I'm from the north, and I don't have a law practice because I'm a 20 year old student.

I agree with the crux of your post but I disagree with accepting applicants with a prior or current mental health issue. This guy was medicated for depression...it wasnt self labelled.

This thread is obviously not genuine but the issues are. I stand by my comments.
    I have no idea why you'd think this thread isn't genuine, but for what it's worth, it's not very hard to get diagnosed and medicated for depression when you live in the north, the NHS will throw antidepressants at any mildly troubled youth who walks through their doors. I find it insulting that half the people in this thread seem to think I'll shoot myself the second I get my hands on a gun. I've never hurt myself or anyone else and I've come through my experience a stronger person. I don't expect the army to see it that way, but there's no reason for people on this thread to be so narrow minded when it comes to mental health.

Ya and if u have read my post you no I suffer from mental health issues brought on by medication the military gave me know as lariam. Now like a good fella remove ur post accusing me of stuff u know nothing about

Well in that case I apologise, but you didn't make that clear and only referenced lariam in the context of another reason I wouldn't get in. You did, however, advise me to lie to the medical officer.

Thanks mate, I understand I've about a snowflake's chance in hell of getting in, but I'd rather be honest and take my slim chances with the medical corps than build a career on a lie. Equal is how I feel, in a physical health allegory, my issue is a broken leg that's all healed up, not a chronic problem I've had since birth, and not one I'm keeping until death.

Since it's been explained to me that the information I'm looking for is restricted, I have stated numerous times that I accept this, despite this you feel the need to tell me I won't listen when I am. I fully expect to be rejected, I'm still going to try because I'm not a quitter, but I wholeheartedly accept the consensus of this thread. I don't have a TD because, as stated, I'm from the north, and I don't have a law practice because I'm a 20 year old student.

Take your ego out of it, its not about you being or not being a 'quitter'. Its about you not being suitable for the job you are applying for. Its not nice to hear and it brings me no joy to inform you of it but the odds are firmly stacked against you when it comes to the Irish Defence Forces.

If you have no southern political representative and no Law buddies to draft an FOI, dobit yourself and get a concrete answer.

Take your ego out of it, its not about you being or not being a 'quitter'. Its about you not being suitable for the job you are applying for. Its not nice to hear and it brings me no joy to inform you of it but the odds are firmly stacked against you when it comes to the Irish Defence Forces.

If you have no southern political representative and no Law buddies to draft an FOI, dobit yourself and get a concrete answer.

This isn't about my ego, I'm saying that since I've already applied I'm not going to drop out because even though there's almost no chance, there's always more chance if you do the thing than if you back out. I accept your advice and the advice of most other posters here that it's probably not going to end well, but I'm going to go through with the process anyway because even a 0.001% chance is better than none.

I have no idea why you'd think this thread isn't genuine, but for what it's worth, it's not very hard to get diagnosed and medicated for depression when you live in the north, the NHS will throw antidepressants at any mildly troubled youth who walks through their doors. I find it insulting that half the people in this thread seem to think I'll shoot myself the second I get my hands on a gun. I've never hurt myself or anyone else and I've come through my experience a stronger person. I don't expect the army to see it that way, but there's no reason for people on this thread to be so narrow minded when it comes to mental health.

These type of threads pop up every so often by rereg idiots with low post counts....we both qualify in that regard. Its anprovocative thread with a controversial subject with comparisons to other forces. Thats why I dont believe you but I am replying for the benefit of genuine lurkers.

Are you now suggesting you were labelled as 'depressed' and wrongly medicated by the NHS due to laxadasical practices and that you had no issues?

I dont care if you feel insulted by my reference to mental health issues being attributed to suicides in the DF, its a fact so take it whatever way you see fit.

As someone who is responsible for troops at home and overseas, someone with mental health issues would be a huge concern to me and the welfare of the other troops. It is entirely possible that someone with issues will affect other troops in some way, shape or form and I wont be labelled as 'narrow minded' for it.

This isn't about my ego, I'm saying that since I've already applied I'm not going to drop out because even though there's almost no chance, there's always more chance if you do the thing than if you back out. I accept your advice and the advice of most other posters here that it's probably not going to end well, but I'm going to go through with the process anyway because even a 0.001% chance is better than none.

It is about your ego.

So you have applied for the RDF, did you declare that you had no medical issues?

• Advertisement

These type of threads pop up every so often by rereg idiots with low post counts....we both qualify in that regard. Its anprovocative thread with a controversial subject with comparisons to other forces. Thats why I dont believe you but I am replying for the benefit of genuine lurkers.

Are you now suggesting you were labelled as 'depressed' and wrongly medicated by the NHS due to laxadasical practices and that you had no issues?

I dont care if you feel insulted by my reference to mental health issues being attributed to suicides in the DF, its a fact so take it whatever way you see fit.

As someone who is responsible for troops at home and overseas, someone with mental health issues would be a huge concern to me and the welfare of the other troops. It is entirely possible that someone with issues will affect other troops in some way, shape or form and I wont be labelled as 'narrow minded' for it.

I'm not suggesting I was wrongly labelled, but it was as simple as going in, saying I felt down and being prescribed medication immediately. Most of my issues stemmed from family circumstances in my adolescence that are resolved. The reason I say I feel insulted and that you are narrow minded is because the spectrum of mental health issues is as varied as the spectrum of physical health issues. Obviously someone who had trouble differentiating the real world from their imagination or who had violent or suicidal tendencies should be ineligible, but with someone who basically just had a low mood at a time in their life when anyone would've it's a little more nuanced. I understand that the army probably won't care about this nuance, but if I'm honest I reckon most people have experienced the level of mild depression that I have, including many who would go on to serve with no issues. The only difference is that I went and sought help so now there's a paper trail.

It is about your ego.

So you have applied for the RDF, did you declare that you had no medical issues?

You can think that if you'd like, I'm just trying to get where I want to be. I didn't have to declare that when I applied for the RDF, the medical comes after the fitness test and interview. And, seeing as we're in the present tense, I don't have any medical issues.

I'm not suggesting I was wrongly labelled, but it was as simple as going in, saying I felt down and being prescribed medication immediately. Most of my issues stemmed from family circumstances in my adolescence that are resolved. The reason I say I feel insulted and that you are narrow minded is because the spectrum of mental health issues is as varied as the spectrum of physical health issues. Obviously someone who had trouble differentiating the real world from their imagination or who had violent or suicidal tendencies should be ineligible, but with someone who basically just had a low mood at a time in their life when anyone would've it's a little more nuanced. I understand that the army probably won't care about this nuance, but if I'm honest I reckon most people have experienced the level of mild depression that I have, including many who would go on to serve with no issues. The only difference is that I went and sought help so now there's a paper trail.

You dont have to explain yourself to me.

So you applied online, yes? Have you a ROI address? Where are you hoping to be stationed? How will you get you DF issue kit into another State jurisdiction?

A guy from NI looking to join the RDF who has been diagnised with depression and medicated for it.

Best of luck, I should have been out earlier but im out now.

You dont have to explain yourself to me.

So you applied online, yes? Have you a ROI address? Where are you hoping to be stationed? How will you get you DF issue kit into another State jurisdiction?

A guy from NI looking to join the RDF who has been diagnised with depression and medicated for it.

Best of luck, I should have been out earlier but im out now.

I live about 10 minutes from the border and 30 minutes from the nearest barracks, and it's an open border. The fact that I'm from the north has absolutely no bearing on this.

I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to comment and reiterate that I accept your assessment that I will almost certainly be disqualified, but I'm still going to give it my best shot. In the likely event that I don't make it in, I'll try to serve in some other way, most likely the diplomatic service. I want to apologise for any offence caused by my misunderstanding or persistence. I've come a long way personally with this as my goal, so it's obviously upsetting that it's likely to be impossible due to events beyond my control.

Advertisement