Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bike is best for a learner?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

This post has been deleted.

As the saying goes, don't let your first bike be your last, plenty of time to ride your dream bike. The fz6 etc is suited to your needs as a novice, it would be the wiser purchase. Also, learning and doing your test on a sports bike is a pain in the backside, clip ons, uncomfortable position, not great for uturns. I know people do it, it's still a pain though. Surprised you mentioned the dullville in the same post.

I'd hold off on buying anything until you've done your IBT, you'll get to try some bikes that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Prospectors

I’ve driven bikes before so I’m not a complete novice, experience is somewhat limited admittedly. I see what you mean by dullville. Showing my lack of knowledge on them straight away. How does the IBT work? Moped upto 650 over the course is it? Module 1.3 and 5 are what I need to do. I was thinking about ISM in Finglas but the hassle of travelling up and down depending on my unsettled work pattern is the problem. I do like the FZ6 to be fair.
    If you decide to do it in Cork, try twowheeltraining.ie. Declan was highly recommended to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

It’s coming down to 4 bikes

Fazer
    Bandit
    Hornet
    Diversion.

As for the R6, I subsequently learned those bikes from 2003 onwards are not permitted for test purposes.

I would need something that would be suitable for it. Do you still have the Fazer?

Of course the R6 can be used for the test , the only requirement is that it's over a certain kw power which the R6 meets. What reason we're you given for them not being allowed do the test?

In saying that good luck trying to do the turning circle on it and then the other problem would be you won't get insured on it on provisional licence to do the test on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dbas

Thanks. I have it around two months. 2002 with around 28000 miles on it i think. VRT was €94 haha. Very happy with it. Great first big bike

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Prospectors

Just looked up that company. Very good reviews. Did you go with that gentleman?
    IBT wasn't around when I was learning but I did some 1-to-1 advanced lessons with him a few years ago and found him very good.

It had the English reg when I got it while I waited for my appointment to VRT it and got a plate in Cotters right after that appointment. I paid £1900 for that. Found it on ebay dot co dot uk from a dealer. He MOT'd it the morning the courier collected it for me. €3000 could go a long way. Costs only a few hundred to get it couriered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭ratracer

IMO a CBR600F is the perfect bike for starting out on.....bulletproof, sports tourer with some fairing protection that Fazers et al don’t have.
    Can also handle a track day if that takes your fancy. I had two of them in my early biking days, and would still buy another one all these years later.

ratracer wrote: »
    IMO a CBR600F is the perfect bike for starting out on.....bulletproof, sports tourer with some fairing protection that Fazers et al don’t have.
    Can also handle a track day if that takes your fancy. I had two of them in my early biking days, and would still buy another one all these years later.

Looks a nice bike alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

The RSA have a list of bikes and whether or not they are suitable. The R6 post 2003 comes under the unsuitable category. No reason given.

I see that on the site, that's crazy. I would be 100% sure that is wrong it even says the list can be wrong but that's neither here nor there

I'd go for new model hornet if I was you

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Is that CBR definitely an F and not RR? insurers don't like people with learner permits looking for RR's. Blade1 put me in touch with a good company earlier on, going looking at one of their bikes tomorrow, and probably the Diversion on Wednesday.[/quote]

It's definitely a F.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Goose81 wrote: »
    Of course the R6 can be used for the test , the only requirement is that it's over a certain kw power which the R6 meets. What reason we're you given for them not being allowed do the test?

In saying that good luck trying to do the turning circle on it and then the other problem would be you won't get insured on it on provisional licence to do the test on it.

A friend did his test on ZXR400. Tester told him to mount the footpath for the U turn. Doubt that happens these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Wow. That's a good quote. How many years no claims bonus do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yes, would be 15 to 20 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

I have 1 more dealership to visit on Friday or Saturday.

Unless I see something completely different, the list of bikes I will be choosing from is quite short.

00 Bandit 600
    00 Diversion 600
    04 CBR 600F
    06 Fazer 600
    09 Bandit 650

At a long shot an R6 that is a Valentino Rossi replica with the #46 on it. The advice I was given on this was if I did buy it to do my test on a school of motoring bike.

The first 2 are from a Dealer in the East Cork/West Waterford area while the other 4 are all with a Co. Cork dealer.

I will have something bought in the next 7 days but I am at a huge loss as to what to go for.

Only thing I can suggest is buy the bike you will be happy on in a years time or more!

Advertisement