Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confession!?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

kneemos wrote: »
    So the sin is unforgivable?

It's forgivable only if one truly repents.

If you believe that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

If you voted for abortion you are not a good catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Grayson wrote: »
    Declaring yourself a same sex marriage supporter, abortion loving atheist isn't enough. They didn't even kick out child abusers.

I may have to declare myself pope.

Indeed, as Dara o'Briain has taught us, those things simply make you a bad Catholic :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Plenty of things are considered sins by the church. If you consider yourself a Catholic that's something you have to deal with.
    Plenty of things appear not to be sins by the RCC. Things such as involvement in child trafficking, covering up and facilitating child abuse, overseeing the deaths of thousands of children through neglect and malnutrition.
    But anyhow, voting one particular way is a sin and feck the lot of yis to hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

BuboBubo wrote: »
    It's forgivable only if one truly repents.

If you believe that stuff.

Bit hollow if you just change your mind for forgiveness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I can see his point. The RSS isn't a democracy. It's more like a multi national corporation with a hierarchical structure with its own internal rules.

While most people don't know the Terms and Conditions before being forced to sign up, the organisation is entitled to its own membership rules.

The RCC makes no secret of it's hostility to abortion. It's kind of their whole thing in some places. Voting for increased abortion access is sort of breaking their T&Cs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

kneemos wrote: »
    So the sin is unforgivable?

It is forgivable if you acknowledge that you actually sinned and are truly sorry for having done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Grayson wrote: »
    Probably not worthy of another thread but...

I did like the way he said the catholic church is a family and no-one gets kicked out. Because I've wanted to leave for ages and I can't. There's no way to leave the catholic church in Ireland.

There used to be a way but didn't they stamp it out after too many people were leaving ?

countmeout.ie or something similar.

I guess the RCC wanted to keep their "stats" of practicing catholics unrealistically high.

Absolutely brilliant from the Waterford Whispers
    http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2018/04/24/group-that-sold-babies-critical-of-peoples-decision-to-vote-yes/

I particularly liked
    The prominent organisation also aided in the concealment of the rape of children and the abetting of the priests who carried out the sexual abuse of thinking, feeling children by relocating them to other parts of the country where they continued to rape and abuse children. It is unclear whether the group thinks this is a greater ‘moral wrong’ than voting ‘Yes’.

Some of elements of the group which is largely exempt from corporation tax, capital gains and capital acquisitions tax have failed to pay compensation to victims of sexual abuse, often stating its displeasure at having been found financially responsible for moral wrongs not nearly as bad as voting ‘Yes’.

Evidence has been found which suggests the Church, while operating the Mother and Baby home at Tuam, was found to be asking parents for money for the upkeep of some children that had already been discharged or had died. However, this same group would like you to know it is ‘morally wrong’ to vote ‘Yes’ in the upcoming referendum on the repeal of the 8th amendment.

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,558 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There used to be a way but didn't they stamp it out after too many people were leaving ?

countmeout.ie or something similar.

I guess the RCC wanted to keep their "stats" of practicing catholics unrealistically high.

You can still be excommunicated, apostasy is one reason. I actually tried based on Atheist Ireland membership but they were having none of it. (Boo!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I wonder will they completely loose the plot over the upcoming referendum on blasphemy :)

https://www.blasphemy.ie/2017/09/27/referendum-on-blasphemy/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

^They need to get better copy writers, the headlines are good, but the articles have always been poor

o1s1n wrote: »
    You can still be excommunicated, apostasy is one reason. I actually tried based on Atheist Ireland membership but they were having none of it. (Boo!)

And this is outlined in the constitution but of course the RCC have Canon law :rolleyes: What a mafia!

Religious freedom: A citizen's freedom of religious conscience, practice, and worship is guaranteed, "subject to public order and morality", by Article 44.2.1°. The state may not "endow" any religion (Article 44.2.2°), nor discriminate on religious grounds (Article 44.2.3°).

^They need to get better copy writers, the headlines are good, but the articles have always been poor

I agree 100%. Believe it or not the founder of WWN is actually a originally Tipperary man who is now living in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

JMNolan wrote: »
    If you voted for abortion you are not a good catholic.

And if you turned a blind eye or facilitated the cover-up of child abuse for decades....you are not a good Catholic or person.
    Name me one bishop who didn't know what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

And if you turned a blind eye or facilitated the cover-up of child abuse for decades....you are not a good Catholic or person.
    Name me one bishop who didn't know what was going on.

I'm pretty sure that "if you turned a blind eye or facilitated the cover-up of child abuse for decades" that makes you a good catholic, at least by the rules of the RCC

It does bother me slightly that I missed the count me out boat and the RCC use me as a stat - and millions of others.

Advertisement