Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No log book 7 months later

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, you use the last 6 digits of the car's VIN as the PIN to tax it online. You won't get issued a log book until the car is taxed for the first time in the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There’s nothing to say the car was actually registered in the OPs name to be fair.

The OP said they did a history check on the reg, which implies it was registered before they actually bought it.

What’s confusing me is that you can’t do an Irish reg check on a car that was never taxed, so something strange is happening here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Firstly I'd tax it as it's most likely the issue here. As said numerous times, it's absolutely standard that no logbook will issue til you tax the car.
    If there was a further issue at that stage as in you couldn't tax it or whatever, then it is time to get suspicious nd the first thing I would then do is ensure you have actually got the car you think you have and not a clone of a legit identical irish car.
    The way to do this is do a full history check against the reg and enter the chassis number. If the chassis number didn't match the reg, well you have been scammed but as it stands I don't believe there is any issue at all other than having failed to tax the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 incaseiforget

Tax it on line as has been mentioned.
    Pin is last six numbers of vin/chassis number. Try anyway to see what happens.
    Log book will then follow.
    If it hasn't been reg here you wont be able to tax it on line...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭murty01

The reason you haven't got the logbook is because YOU didn't tax it. You are going to be liable for the back taxes too. This is nothing to do with the garage, it is your issue.

Once you change ownership to your name there will be no arrears due. New registered owner isn't liable for unpaid arrears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think we’re being trolled lads, OP got the info about how to tax it 11 hours ago, and this thread is still going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭murty01

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Sorry but that's completely not the thing to do
    Worked a treat for me.
    Had to do it.
    Had the car 8 months and still no tax book forthcoming and it didn't look like there was one coming in the near future. Shannon didn't want to know about it because I told them I bought from a dealership. If you tell them you bought from a dealership they leave it to you and the dealership to sort out the log book between yourselves. Once you tell them though that it was a private sale and the buyer can on longer be contacted then they will issue the documentation to get it changed to your name.
    Longwinded but it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wonder has it anything to do with the Italian that is 7 months pregnant and has a husband who lived in Italy but isn't from Italy and doesn't have status in Italy so they are here and have nowhere to live and someone else that is on happy wants to bring the 4 of them in to their house.....

Advertisement