Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No log book 7 months later

Options
  • 26-05-2018 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I bought a car from an simi dealer in October 2017 and am still waiting for my logbook.
    I have contacted the garage several times, but no success.
    Im unsure as to what i can do as the vehicle is a uk import, the dealer had it registered here so its on irish plates,can i apply for a logbook myself?
    Im very annoyed about this situation as i paid over 50000 for this car and as it stands i dont own it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Go into the dealers, preferably when it’s busy.

Talk loudly, don’t be ushered into a back office.

Demand to see a manager or owner.

Don’t leave until you get someone and get to the bottom of what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Patthecat5 wrote: »
    I bought a car from an simi dealer in October 2017 and am still waiting for my logbook.
    Im unsure as to what i can do as the vehicle is a uk import, the dealer had it registered here so its on irish plates,can i apply for a logbook myself?
    Im very annoyed about this situation as i paid over 50000 for this car and as it stands i dont own it!

You can apply for another log book if you lose / can't find yours.

As long as it's correctly I wouldn't see the problem.

Go onto motortax.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Patthecat5

Pronto63 wrote: »
    You can apply for another log book if you lose / can't find yours.

As long as it's correctly I wouldn't see the problem.

Go onto motortax.ie
    Ownership on vehicle has not been changed as ive checked on the motortax website, ive been keeping an eye on this since i bought it in October.
    So there is no logbook for me to lose as i never had one in the first place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Was the car ever taxed in Ireland? You only get the VLC when you tax it, the PIN is the last 6 digits of your VIN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

I'd be worried that this car is still on stocking finance , and this is why ownership hasn't changed , as could still be securing their finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,391 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It mightn’t even have VRT paid, I saw that happen before, garage issued made-up reg numbers. Given that the garage are still around, it’s unlikely.

On a €50k car though, that’s a serious worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It mightn’t even have VRT paid, I saw that happen before, garage issued made-up reg numbers.

But OP says it's on plates and he could see on the website that the ownership hasn't changed?

Surely that means at least that the VRT has been paid?

OP have you ever done a history check on the cars Irish reg? Do you know if it’s ever been taxed in Ireland?

OP have you ever done a history check on the cars Irish reg? Do you know if it’s ever been taxed in Ireland?
    Yes ive done the history check all seems above board, it was never taxed in Ireland though

• Advertisement

If into was never taxed in Ireland then there’s no logbook. You need to go online and tax it using the reg number and the last 6 digits of the chassis number as the pin. It may still bring the original Irish owners details if its registered to someone else and never been taxed.

Try that anyway and see how you get on.

If into was never taxed in Ireland then there’s no logbook. You need to go online and tax it using the reg number and the last 6 digits of the chassis number as the pin. It may still bring the original Irish owners details if its registered to someone else and never been taxed.

Try that anyway and see how you get on.

Thanks ill give that a go. But what about the log book? Should i consult a solicitor? The garage that sold it is still in business, maybe because im a woman im being overlooked!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

The reason you haven't got the logbook is because YOU didn't tax it. You are going to be liable for the back taxes too. This is nothing to do with the garage, it is your issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Thanks ill give that a go. But what about the log book? Should i consult a solicitor? The garage that sold it is still in business, maybe because im a woman im being overlooked!

If it's never been taxed, no log book was ever issued.
    Tax it and one will be sent out to the registered vehicle owner.

The reason you haven't got the logbook is because YOU didn't tax it. You are going to be liable for the back taxes too. This is nothing to do with the garage, it is your issue.

How could i tax it?

Ive no problem paying the back tax, id just want my logbook!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How could i tax it?

You tax online or go into motor tax office.

Once it's taxed vlc is then sent.

If it had been taxed previous as stated and had another owner you would then need to chase garage.

How could i tax it?

Go to your local motor tax office or go online, enter the reg and request the pin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

A most serious issue may be the fact that you can't insure property you don't own. If that car was to be stolen or in an accident you may have a tough time.

A most serious issue may be the fact that you can't insure property you don't own. If that car was to be stolen or in an accident you may have a tough time.

I would bet the house on it she is the registered owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

OP if the vehicle has never been taxed in Ireland, you can tax it online on Motortax.ie
    Enter your Reg, and your pin number will be last 6 Digits of the Chassis Number. If this doesn't work it means the pin number has been changed or the vehicle has been previously taxed.

A vehicle log book will only be issued once the car has been taxed, not before. Also you don't require your Log Book to tax the vehicle ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

She said there has been no change of ownership recorded since she bought it I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

She said there has been no change of ownership recorded since she bought it I think?

She's the original owner in Ireland, that's why it hasn't changed. A garage won't go down as an owner as they have a TAN which means that they don't need to register the vehicle, once it's sold it gets registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭murty01

As long as it's registered in Ireland, you can write a letter to Shannon in which you say you bought car from private seller. In this letter say that the seller has since emigrated to foreign country. State that it was a month ago and there is no sign of a log book coming plus there are no contact details for you since they are no longer in the country.
    You don't have to mention seller's name or address. Don't mention anything about a buying the car from a dealer as this will result in no log book being issued. As long the letter states that it was a private sale they have to issue the log book to your address. Shannon should issue Statement of Declaration that you will need to get signed by peace commissioner/ commissioner for oaths, notary public ( free of charge usually, local list online). Send that back in when completed with new owner details on it.
    I had to do this but I had contacted Shannon so much I was afraid that alarm bells might ring if I wrote to them saying I had bought in private sale. I changed it to wife's maiden name first and then when new book issued I just changed it to my name.

PS name and shame the dealer just to warn people about possible problems in future

I find it hard to believe you own a house, i presume you still live with mummy!

murty01 wrote: »
    As long as it's registered in Ireland, you can write a letter to Shannon in wife's/uncle's/aunt's/close friend's name (as long as you can get the replying post). In this letter say that they bought the car from you and you have emigrated to foreign country.State that it was a month ago and there is no sign of a log book coming plus there are no contact details for you since you are no longer in the country.
    You don't have to mention your own name or address as you are not the registered owner. Don't mention anything about a buying the car from a dealer as this will result in no log book being issued. As long the letter states that it was a private sale they have to issue the log book to the new address of you wife (maiden name)/ uncle/aunt/ friend. Just keep the surmame different to your own for the next part. Shannon should issue either change of ownership form or a new tax book straightway. (Can't remember which in my own case 'twas a few years ago.)
    When the new tax book comes change it back straight away to your name. Job done.

PS name and shame the dealer just to warn people about possible problems in future
    Sorry but that's completely not the thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

murty01 wrote: »

Name and shame the dealer?

There's no logbook because the OP never taxed the car. This has nothing to do with the dealer. The dealer hasn't done anything because they can't do anything.

I find it hard to believe you own a house, i presume you still live with mummy!

Presumption seems to have gotten you in to a situation where you are without a log book Pat.

9_EB3319_C-324_A-4_CFB-_A187-_F89088153_ED9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Boom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement