Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for an SUV.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Mitsuibishi Outlander PHEV, you will get circa 30-40km on battery before the petrol engine kicks in. Low tax. Free charge point installed now with grant. MPG high.

Something like this: http://www.electricautos.ie/vehicles/mitsubishi/outlander/kildare/2007512

I would not go for a diesel based on your driving.....

The Outlander is a proper SUV....not a soccer mum's car(Please note I have owned a Qashqai :-) )

Your MPG would be very good.

The other option if you wait is the Kia Niro BEV, I looked at the PHEV version but will wait for BEV, test drive will be this year with delivery next year. Circa 400km per charge.

The chargers aren't free anymore you get a grant of €600.
    https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/electric-vehicle-home-charger-grant/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭obi604

If you lived in any other country in the World you wouldn't see any diesel recommendations based on your requirements

In Ireland every second person recommends a diesel :P really I do not understand the love affair with diesel.

I have a Galaxy, diesel, I bought because of the size and we require for family holidays aboard. I hate the bloody thing. Plus we do loads of short trips like yourself, it f**king eats diesel......we are at 90 quid every 2 weeks for doing little to no distance.....hopefully a full sized 7 seater PHEV or Electric will come out soon and I get to sell it on

We are one of the smallest countries in Europe but we have the highest

Yeah. Our ix35 eats fuel too. These short journeys just ruin it. Like you , do feck all miles really but spend half the time filling up.

I see Toyota have a hybrid rav 4 too but beyond budget.
    And then this phev option

Lots of choice.

Initially I kinda had the 1.2 petrol Qashqai in my head. But not sure if it’s underpowered for the size.

But this thread giving me a lot more food for thought.

Sounds like me buying a diesel anyway is just a waste as the driving style does not suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The chargers aren't free anymore you get a grant of €600.
    https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/electric-vehicle-home-charger-grant/

Yes grant for charger but the public charging is free to top up

obi604 wrote: »
    Yeah. Our ix35 eats fuel too. These short journeys just ruin it. Like you , do feck all miles really but spend half the time filling up.

I see Toyota have a hybrid rav 4 too but beyond budget.
    And then this phev option

Lots of choice.

Initially I kinda had the 1.2 petrol Qashqai in my head. But not sure if it’s underpowered for the size.

But this thread giving me a lot more food for thought.

Sounds like me buying a diesel anyway is just a waste as the driving style does not suit.

Qashqai not really an SUV...haha..... it’s a cross over

I had one, was perfect for the job I wanted it for, but it was diesel and too small for the kids so replaced

Qashqai not really an SUV...haha..... it’s a cross over

I had one, was perfect for the job I wanted it for, but it was diesel and too small for the kids so replaced

;)

Crossover, SUV. all the one yo me, they look similar ;)

I’m now on the path of petrol or hybrid or phev.

I find one of the hardest things in buying a car is picking the ones that suits (from all the different points of view: Price, reliability, looks and does it suit your drift bing needs)

• Advertisement

Yes, as you have a standard petrol engine you have no range anxiety as all you do is fill up the petrol.

You get the benefit of electric engine for short runs as you can just keep it on battery and not use petrol at all.....really with PHEV you should try and plan so you use battery for all short trips....electricity is alot cheaper to petrol...

To give idea of saving on electric v diesel. I have 15k km's in 11 months in eGolf. It cost me 197 euro in electric(night rate). I would have spent circa 1600 in diesel. You could make that even cheaper if you use the free public charging but I don't use it.....

https://multimac.co.uk/home it is a car seat but bolted into the car. I put into eGolf and allows me to have 4 children in back instead of trying to crush in 3 normal car seats. It is safer for the children as well. Most insurance companies will cover at no additional cost once you get installed professionally

So let’s say, you drive from Dublin to Galway and within 5 miles, you are on motorway at 120 km an hour.

At this speed, Are you essentially purely running on the petrol engine......and at this speed you can expect the mpg figures of what a standard 2 litre petrol car would be.

So let’s say, you drive from Dublin to Galway and within 5 miles, you are on motorway at 120 km an hour.

At this speed, Are you essentially purely running on the petrol engine......and at this speed you can expect the mpg figures of what a standard 2 litre petrol car would be.

No, the Mpg on the newer PHEV is similar to diesel even on motorway....they buy them in uk and mostly as company cars so majority of life on motorway.....they have proper motorway and long distance driving

I don’t know the exact in and outs but I will try find video to explain

The advantage of the PHEV is in city driving you are also getting good mpg and also the option of running on pure battery

If you are doing a huge amount of motorway and long distance then diesel is still best....no arguement their.....

Feedback here from users
    https://speakev.com/threads/outlander-phev-motorway-driving-views-please.36121/

Video on how it works
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4I5SkNT6UY

Yes grant for charger but the public charging is free to top up

Free with grant :-)

• Advertisement

Free with grant :-)

What are you talking about?

The public system, which is provided by ecars is free to use. Map if chargers here https://www.esb.ie/our-businesses/ecars/charge-point-map

This has nothing to do with your home charger.

The original home charger was only available for new cars and was restricted on what you could install. The government replaced with grant which is open to new and second hand car buyers. Also you get to pick your own charger in case you want a Solar PV unit etc.

Do you understand the difference between the two?

Anyone have any real world experience of the newer model 1.7 Tucson from 2015 onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 15,680 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Anyone have any real world experience of the newer model 1.7 Tucson from 2015 onwards

No but I do know that the MK3 1.7 diesel Kia Sportage is a very economical car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    No but I do know that the MK3 1.7 diesel Kia Sportage is a very economical car.

When was the mk3 introduced to Ireland ?

Is the 1.7 engine in the sportage and Tucson the same

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes and it's the same basic engine from the ix35 too.

What are you talking about?

The public system, which is provided by ecars is free to use. Map if chargers here https://www.esb.ie/our-businesses/ecars/charge-point-map

This has nothing to do with your home charger.

The original home charger was only available for new cars and was restricted on what you could install. The government replaced with grant which is open to new and second hand car buyers. Also you get to pick your own charger in case you want a Solar PV unit etc.

Do you understand the difference between the two?

I do yes what I meant was you said earlier they were “free with a grant” you still have to pay the difference between the grant and cost of the unit.

I do yes what I meant was you said earlier they were “free with a grant” you still have to pay the difference between the grant and cost of the unit.

It cost me the grand total of 250 quid to get my car charger installed. I got the unit free with the car(second hand car before grant) and the installation was 250.....

Since then I got a unit for 100 quid second hand and got installed for my parent, think it cost 200 for install as well

The advantage with the grant is you can shop around. The charger is a glorified exterior plug. Some of the chargers come with fancy software etc and you pay extra for that.....some of them also include an optional standard 3 pin plug and cost extra

Some people just get a standard 3 pin plug outside and use that to charge the car, also fully supported although slower than the charger.

Like anything with a "grant" beside it, you can go to the standard people and they will quote 1k before looking at your house, or you ring around and get a deal. Zappi is the premium and will allow for Solar PV....the charger itself is 500 odd quid

Advertisement