Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GDPR

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Hypothetical question. Could GDPR force the likes of Boards to delete all information on a banned user that sound make checking of re-regs by email address, ISP address etc. impossible?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Hypothetical question. Could GDPR force the likes of Boards to delete all information on a banned user that sound make checking of re-regs by email address, ISP address etc. impossible?

They’ve already said they will delete if requested. What they apparently keeps is a hashed very of the email address for a period of time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've now had GDPR emails from government departments to my work email address asking for permission to keep emailing me about regular meetings to do with work.

All they have is an email address and my name, since when did my work email address become "personal" or the government need permission to know what my name is and that I exist? The GDPR is a complete mess when even government departments don't know what to do about it. They are either unnecessarily scared, or are just feeling left out that they haven't sent an email out about GDPR and want to join in the "fun".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

robinph wrote: »
    since when did my work email address become "personal"

actually it is personal information under GDPR

However, it is unlikely they need your permission to email you about work. They can rely on other aspects of GDPR to legitimately do this

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Riskymove wrote: »
    actually it is personal information under GDPR
    How? The email and everything ever said via it belongs to my employer. (It happens I'm also the employer, but anyway)
    However, it is unlikely they need your permission to email you about work. They can rely on other aspects of GDPR to legitimately do this

One of which is being a customer, and the email they sent begins "Dear Customers". :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

robinph wrote: »
    How? The email and everything ever said via it belongs to my employer. (It happens I'm also the employer, but anyway)

Regardless of who is hosting it and what the purpose is, if the email address is strictly assigned to you it is identifying you personally and falls under GDPR (a generic email address such as customerservice@company.com would theoritically not fall under GDPR, but in most cases it is probably easier for an organisation to handle all the email asdresses they collect in the same way).

Advertisement