Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GDPR

Options
  • 24-05-2018 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭

So how many E-mails have you recieved?

Ive had about 40

It's so nice to ignore them and finally be free of the savage amount of sh1te I signed up for :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,502 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Q: What's a pirate's favourite monetary measure of the market value of all final goods and services produced in a period of time?

A: GDP Aaaaaarrgh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

ardinn wrote: »

Ive had about 40

It's so nice to ignore them and finally be free of the savage amount of sh1te I signed up for :D

Ditto and ditto!

It's a right pain in the arse to implement though! I do some work for a voluntary group and the amount of new red tape that it has brought about for our tiny community organisation is completely insane. The EU's "one size fits all" approach is complete nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

ardinn wrote: »

Ive had about 40

40-50 if you are talking all GDPR related emails, but maybe more like 15-20 if you only talking about the one asking for conscent (of which only one lead to me providing conscent).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Before I had even heard of GDPR last week, had actually unsubscribed to several. This week I have still received the same anount of crap, due to the constant reminders from the companies I had not unsubscibed from.

:D

After friday, my in box is going to feel quite empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It's a pain in the fecking arse for anyone running a club etc.

Though I did like Deliveroo's free delivery incentive to encourage people to re-sign up for their emails. Fair play..

• Advertisement

Squatter wrote: »

It's a right pain in the arse to implement though! I do some work for a voluntary group and the amount of new red tape that it has brought about for our tiny community organisation is completely insane. The EU's "one size fits all" approach is complete nonsense.

I get your point, but having said that I find small organsations have been amongst the most likely to start sending me newsletters without me asking for it (just send an email to ask about something else or register for an event and you end up on a mailing list without anyone asking you if you’re interested). Not saying it is the case of all of them of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I don't mind all the mails telling me I won't get any more mails. I'm looking forward to being auto removed from mailing lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I even got a physical letter in the actual postbox in real life about this bloody giddapoor

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Grayson wrote: »
    I don't mind all the mails telling me I won't get any more mails. I'm looking forward to being auto removed from mailing lists.

A lot of them don't seem to be though - more a "unless you say otherwise we'll keep you on the list but here's our updated terms"

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    A lot of them don't seem to be though - more a "unless you say otherwise we'll keep you on the list but here's our updated terms"

Implicit consent is not acceptable with GDPR. You need explicit consent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

Bob24 wrote: »
    Implicit consent is not acceptable with GDPR. You need explicit consent.

That only applies to new contact after the start date. If you are on an active list before that they don't have to remove you. Only going forward does the new rules apply

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057874872/1/

Lucifer wrote: »
    That only applies to new contact after the start date. If you are on an active list before that they don't have to remove you. Only going forward does the new rules apply

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057874872/1/

If your consent was obtained implicitly to be on a mailing list before GDPR, that consent will become invalid starting from tomorrow.

So there is absolutely no point in seeking implicit content today as per the emails the poster said they have received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I'd a company ini the US decline to sell me stuff due to the GDPR as they were unable to comply. They just said they're no longer serving customers in the EU.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

I'm quoting another poster from the other thread

I double checked my interpretation of things this morning by calling the Data Protection office and what I was told is as follows:

1) If users are engaging with a company or business online and are already on a user list, existing consent is implied so the existing users/customers re-consent is not needed.

2) Positive consent is needed for all new users / customers from tomorrow.

Note: Pre-selected consent check boxes won't be acceptable. In most cases check boxes are being used, so just ensure they're not pre-filled.

3) Businesses that are requesting re-consent from their existing email/user lists are doing so as a matter of good practice, but they are not obliged to do so.

4) A business must ensure they have a data retention policy documented and available for existing and potential customers.

What if a business has an old unused email list?
    If a business has built up an email list but for whatever reason has never used it, this falls into a grey area. However, they can mitigate the effects of the incoming rules by sending an email to their list today explaining their GDPR and data retention policy etc. This email will be looked upon as the business engaging with their email lists. If following this email users do not request removal then continuing consent will be implied, as per item 1 above. Of course retention policies must be acted upon!

I am not a legal expert so you can verify details of my post by contacting the Data Protection Commission on +353 (0)761 104 800

Lucifer wrote: »

1) If users are engaging with a company or business online and are already on a user list, existing consent is implied so the existing users/customers re-consent is not needed.

This is only correct if consent to be on that list was obtained based on GDPR principles - and there is no more notion of implicit consent with GDPR (so if an organisation had implicit consent from you to be on a mailing list, that consent definitely won’t be valid anymore starting tomorrow regardless of when it was obtained)

This is clearly laid-out in recital 171 of GDPR, and explained here in plain English with exemples on the EC’s website: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection/reform/rules-business-and-organisations/legal-grounds-processing-data/grounds-processing/does-consent-given-25-may-2018-continue-be-valid-once-gdpr-starts-apply-25-may-2018_en

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Having to arrange this in work is a massive pain in the hoop

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Homebrew West emailed yesterday offering discounts to anyone who opted in to their newsletter, happy days indeed :D

What I'm wondering is, why have we not had any emails yet from Nigerian Princes? Are they intending to simply forgo EU citizens as prospective lucky randomers to split their fortunes with, in order to avoid extra red tape? I for one would find this highly offensive. Down with the EU! :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Annoying some emails have an opt in, some are opt out, some are do nothing and you'll be opted out. So you still kinda need to read them all. Annoying when you get GDPR emails from something you've already opted back in to though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Its handy - an easy way to unsubscribe from places Ive forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Squatter wrote: »

I agree, I'm in the same boat. It's difficult enough for us to find people to serve on the committee as it is, without having to find someone to deal with this kind of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

For me this whole thing has brought about a mass of e-mails linking to complex disclosures that few people will ever read in their totality. It does beg a question as to whether this is ultimately achieving much in the way of additional protection. Those already selling off your details to dodgy marketing companies may well continue, and given the scale of the digital world/economy trying to get your head around exactly what you are consenting to is a complete PITA

Add to that examples already mentioned of non-EU based businesses no longer wanting to deal with people based in the EU, it makes you wonder if they are throwing the baby out with the bathwater here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Boards hasn't emailed me ...

/Puts on tinfoil hat

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

SeaFields wrote: »
    Boards hasn't emailed me ...

/Puts on tinfoil hat
    Check the announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Annoying some emails have an opt in, some are opt out, some are do nothing and you'll be opted out. So you still kinda need to read them all. Annoying when you get GDPR emails from something you've already opted back in to though.

Agreed. The system which was brought in for premium text scams after the outcry over kids unknowingly getting charged €2 a week for daily "free" ringtones etc would be far better - by law, the word "STOP" indicates an opt out, end of story, for every mobile service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Donut

Yes, I'm pee'd off with all these companys that I supposedly signed up for - in return for being alowed to buy their stuff!

Though at the mo I'm really staggered by Morgan Freeman - I mean ffs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

To anyone assuming you can ignore the mails and it'll be an auto clear out, they're not all opt in. A number of them are using the old 'if you don't do anything we'll assume you have opted in'.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

bluewolf wrote: »
    To anyone assuming you can ignore the mails and it'll be an auto clear out, they're not all opt in. A number of them are using the old 'if you don't do anything we'll assume you have opted in'.

They';; still be redirected to the spam box.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

Is the deadline from midnight tonight or midnight tomorrow night?

What about clients who have an ongoing relationship with for many years but they did not respond to your opt in again email. Do we have to remove them? Can we not contact them unless they contact us first?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I see that from a bit of a different perspective, I was originally trained and worked in a Film related field. Filmmakers and photographers face some really fun times, prepare to read about some ridiculous lawsuits in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

EdgeCase wrote: »
    I'd a company ini the US decline to sell me stuff due to the GDPR as they were unable to comply. They just said they're no longer serving customers in the EU.

Wow must be selling a lot of customer information

Advertisement