Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank League 2018-2019 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

awec wrote: »
    Is there any truth to the talk that the IRFU are / were keen to change the format of the UBL but are being resisted by the Leinster clubs who don't want the status quo to change?

Apparently the IRFU were looking to create a single, semi-professional All Ireland League, with ~4 teams from each province. No promotion or relegation (due to the semi pro nature). Below this, leagues would revert back to provincial systems.
    Yes they wouldnt to get more clubs from Connacht/Ulster up and provide more games for contracted players. The IRFU were never going to get a semi pro league with 4 teams from each province. It could only ever be max of 2 from Connacht and maybe even same from Ulster with 4 from big 2. Most senior clubs dont want to revert to a provincial system.
    ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Some truth it was only 2 teams from each province but may be 4 in certain provinces. BUT provinces have no resources to fund this and IRFU have notr explained it plus the notion especially in Leinster that pro, academy and development players will be released to their clubs in greater numbers than ever before is nonsense and especially in a world cup year with November Internationals, 6 Nations Pro 14 & Champion Cup and new anglo welsh academy league commitments I would safely say there will be less players than ever released this season.

Problem as I have been told is that Union have not discussed properly how this would work with either Leinster or the clubs and they seem intent on pushing thru change to suit the agenda of the Pro game but not the club game. The provinces have been given no detail or extra budget to implement any new proposed system so if they are the administrators and have no idea on the workings you can imagine how the clubs feel. Likely Union will force something thru late in September and say take it or leave it as in the new IRFU clubs now have to be invited to play in the league no automatic right unless you geneflect and kiss the ring!
    Provinces and IRFU havent done anything right in this but how much have the clubs done to really address this. The Leinster clubs at least had stories in media protesting this but what else has been done?
    awec wrote: »
    But with the B+I cup going away does this not provide a good opportunity for A players to get games? The reasoning is surely to benefit the pro game.

The current structure is top heavy with Leinster and Munster clubs (unsurprising). I expect even the Ulster clubs to be against this change, because no club is going to want to be outside the top league.

And I am not sure ring fencing the league for 2 years is long enough. Promo and relegation will be a bit weird, chances are the club relegated would just lose all their good players to the club promoted and you'd end up just having pretty much the same players just wearing a different kit.
    B&I Cup going away will see other A games. Top divisions have always been top heavy with Munster and Leinster clubs. Connacht always has had small number of senior clubs and generally been low end division 1/division 2 standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

Never said they were the only province that didn't release players just said they were the worst which is on record and distrubuted to senior clubs last week by IRFU also Leinster in fairness are pretty good at communicating when players are being released clubs might not always like the outcome of thos communications but communication is not the problem. How many B&I  games were there?

Format will also change next year when the Scots join. No guarantee but I would be hugely surprised if it doesn't end up with players being at least as unavailable as before if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Likely Union will force something thru late in September and say take it or leave it as in the new IRFU clubs now have to be invited to play in the league no automatic right unless you geneflect and kiss the ring!

I keep hearing this, but unless something massively changed in how the IRFU is run, then it can’t really happen. The management structure of the IRFU puts the clubs at the top not the bottom. The union is answerable to the clubs, not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

stephen_n wrote: »
    I keep hearing this, but unless something massively changed in how the IRFU is run, then it can’t really happen. The management structure of the IRFU puts the clubs at the top not the bottom. The union is answerable to the clubs, not the other way around.

It seems as if the senior clubs are taking action against it but IRFU are fighting back. Munster, Leinster & Ulster clubs b in a huge majority are against it and fighting back. BUT union will put a gun to their head and say take it or leave it. Will clubs have the back bone to stick together and refuse if necessary?? That is where it is all heading. Squeaky bum time!

It seems as if the senior clubs are taking action against it but IRFU are fighting back. Munster, Leinster & Ulster clubs b in a huge majority are against it and fighting back. BUT union will put a gun to their head and say take it or leave it. Will clubs have the back bone to stick together and refuse if necessary?? That is where it is all heading. Squeaky bum time!

Not sure that is a good departure. By and large the Union does a great job, but the clubs need to remain at the core of it, not having the tail wag the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Not sure that is a good departure. By and large the Union does a great job, but the clubs need to remain at the core of it, not having the tail wag the dog.

The clubs are not at the core of it in the way you are suggesting. Not for a long time. Most of the legwork is done by professional rugby people directly employed by the IRFU under the guidance of Browne/Nucifora etc, rather than the provincial branches or committees. For example the 2013-2017 strategic plan would have been the "tail wagging the dog" from the very beginning.

The clubs are not at the core of it in the way you are suggesting. Not for a long time. Most of the legwork is done by professional rugby people directly employed by the IRFU under the guidance of Browne/Nucifora etc, rather than the provincial branches or committees. For example the 2013-2017 strategic plan would have been the "tail wagging the dog" from the very beginning.

Yes the work has always been done by the professionals employed by the union. That was true even before the game itself went professional. But they are employees of the organization, which has always been clubs > branches > union. I know the workings of that are complex, but even through professionalism, there hasn’t really been a case where the employees have told the organization what to do before now. Least wise not that I’m aware of.

Yes the work has always been done by the professionals employed by the union. That was true even before the game itself went professional. But they are employees of the organization, which has always been clubs > branches > union. I know the workings of that are complex, but even through professionalism, there hasn’t really been a case where the employees have told the organization what to do before now. Least wise not that I’m aware of.

The leadership comes from the professional side. Which is exactly as it should be, because they know what they are doing and professional sport has long since moved beyond being something for retirees to attend to part-time.

Ultimately I'm sure Browne, Nucifora etc. need approval from the Irish Rugby committee people to make such sweeping changes, but I'd doubt they'd get much resistance from the top. I'd say if there is any substance to the idea that this will be forced on clubs at short notice, it will come via the guise of the release of the next Strategic Plan (which is due any day now, given the last one was 2013-2017... :/), and that will have surely been approved by the professional game board and all other serious committees, while being prepared and compiled by the IRFU.

The leadership comes from the professional side. Which is exactly as it should be, because they know what they are doing.

You would think so wouldn't you But.........

You would think so wouldn't you But.........

Well I certainly have many issues with them, but in comparison to some of the people in the amateur game they're in a different league. Although those people are certainly very often strong examples of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

• Advertisement

Some competitive games tomorrow.
    Connacht league starts. Ballina Sligo. Galwegians Corinthians.

Results of todays Connacht league games
    Galwegians 35 Corinthians 18, Ballina 35 Sligo 24

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Results of todays Connacht league games
    Galwegians 35 Corinthians 18, Ballina 35 Sligo 24

Was at Crowley Park, decent game. JP Cooney is coaching Corinthians.

Was at Crowley Park, decent game. JP Cooney is coaching Corinthians.
    Yeah heard that a few weeks ago. Hopefully Corinthians can bounce back and get back up to 2A sooner rather than later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Yeah heard that a few weeks ago. Hopefully Corinthians can bounce back and get back up to 2A sooner rather than later

Absolutely. Not sure what their recruitment has been like, seems like they have a fairly young team. Assume they’ve lost their academy players.

Absolutely. Not sure what their recruitment has been like, seems like they have a fairly young team. Assume they’ve lost their academy players.
    No reason to lose their academy players. only went from 2A to 2B. There's no restriction on academy players in division 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

How do u guys feel Ballina will do this year

TheBully wrote: »
    How do u guys feel Ballina will do this year
    Will do quite well. Have dominated junior rugby in Connacht the past few years and will be comfortable in 2C in mid table.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

I know there isn't a definitive list, bar the Ulster one above, but is there a way of seeing who has transferred from which clubs etc?

Or just what we can work out from those involved in respective clubs here

• Advertisement

I know there isn't a definitive list, bar the Ulster one above, but is there a way of seeing who has transferred from which clubs etc?

Or just what we can work out from those involved in respective clubs here
    Checking out club websites/teamsheets unless IRFU and provinces are to change tact and publish all transfers like they have before(not done for a long time)
    Local papers may have transfers like Limerick Leader for Limerick clubs but nothing nationwide

Naas have signed a few lads. Two for Lansdowne for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

Naas have signed a few lads. Two for Lansdowne for sure.
    Lads from their originally? Presume Brian Larkin is one?

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Lads from their originally? Presume Brian Larkin is one?

Not sure if they are originally from there. One is Jake Howlett. Don't know on the other.

Not sure if they are originally from there. One is Jake Howlett. Don't know on the other.
    Howlett is from Newbridge so makes sense.

Willie Staunton gone to Wanderers

Howlett is from Newbridge so makes sense.

Howlett is from Celbridge The other is from Wicklow I beleive the young 10 they had name escapes me

Howlett is from Celbridge The other is from Wicklow I beleive the young 10 they had name escapes me
    He went to Newbridge so general area...

He went to Newbridge so general area...
    Celbridge is not in the general area of Naas or Newbridge. Barnhall & North Kildare would put you straight there.Opposite ends of the county

• Advertisement

Celbridge is not in the general area of Naas or Newbridge. Barnhall & North Kildare would put you straight there.Opposite ends of the county

Lots of people from North Kildare go to Newbridge though, and he certainly did as well

Advertisement