Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Healy Raes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The Healy Raes represent everything I detest about Parish Pump 'politics' in this country. The 'keep it in the family' parochial narrow little minds (I know they are not the first) only interested in maintaining their own little clan and building their own little empire in South Kerry (God help us).

They have absolutely nothing to offer in terms of expertise in running the country nationally or internationally- nothing.
    They'd make for a great sitcom though. Better ( or rather worse) than anything fr ted could come up with

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Very Similar to the Baileys in Dublin . Though they appear to be able to Swing without a Claim .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

cjmc wrote: »
    They'd make for a great sitcom though. Better ( or rather worse) than anything fr ted could come up with

Subtitles at the ready.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

cjmc wrote: »
    Father Ted meets the Healy Raes Meets Dail Eireann . Ya couldn’t make this stuff up .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Before I voted HR ALL the candidates came to visit me at home, that's how it works in South Kerry, dont know if the haters personally met every other candidate in their local election, maybe thats not unusual, I dont know ?

Anyway I asked them all the questions that were important to me, about local affairs and national.

I voted for the person who had the best answers and seemed the most caring, that was HR.

I am a scum you hate, but I don't see what I have done wrong ? I voted for the the person who was obviously the most knowledgeable about the matters that affect me, my family and the country I live in ?

I know every HR hater on here checks their car lights and tyre pressures, before every trip, like the book says, but personally I dont, likewise I have no issues of my TD not attending, and make an expensive long drive, if their vote wont make a difference, seems like commonsense to me, I never do a job that wont make any difference or yield any benefit.

And I do like the idea of the Healycopter, great name, but the HRs attend the important votes so I think it would be a waste of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Anthracite wrote: »
    If you are elected to the national legislature, you legislate for the nation. You don't draw money away from other areas that need it to buy votes.

It's democracy not working.

Ah complete bullshyte and totally unrealistic.

How the fook do you think politicians get reelected ?
    Oh yeah they sit in the Dail and debate international foreign policy, Brexit and the national childrens hospital and Metro north.
    No you look out for your own constituency and make sure you keep at least a fair chunk of your electorate somewhat happy.

Where the feck did the term pork barrel politics originate ?
    It wasn't South Kerry or any other rural constituency in Ireland.
    Zaph wrote: »
    I think it's unfair of this thread to pick on the Healy-Raes when it could so easily have also included Mattie McGrath and Michael Lowry. A missed opportunity there OP.

Are we allowed mention the cosmopolitan urban politicians of Dublin such as Shane Ross, bertie ahern, or the people's favourite son Tony Gregory?

All very adept at the old local parish pump politics.

There is huge superiority complex at play by some when talking about likes of Healy Raes.
    Yes they may sound like uneducated gobdaws and sometimes they may prove they aren't the smartest with such utterances as the one about climate change, but a fair amount of the time they feckin are speaking with some truth.

One example was the recent drink drive laws which dropped the limit from 80 to 50, which really is just about optics and probably tax collecting in some shape or form.
    The much laughed at and derided Danny somehow had the cop on to ask a question the minister, the Dept intellectual bright sparks, the RSA etc couldn't answer and that was to provide stats as to how many accidents were caused by people between those drink limits.

AFAIK those stats have not been forthcoming even to this day.
    I am open to correction if so.

If one of the intellectuals favourites, good old Ross, had his way there would be a zero limit which is totally fecking ridiculous.
    But yet Healy Rae is the eejit.

Another much lauded politician of some of our cosmopolitan, no doubt environmentally consicous types, is none other than the one that recently thought it a good idea to reintroduce wolves to Ireland.
    Yet the Healy-Raes are the butt of jokes from green voters.
    Give us a fooking break.

Another beaut....Michael Lowery.

The troglodytes in Tipp North keep voting him in.

jmayo wrote: »

Oh yeah they sit in the Dail and debate international foreign policy, Brexit and the national childrens hospital and Metro north.
    No you look out for your own constituency and make sure you keep at least a fair chunk of your electorate somewhat happy.

Are we allowed mention the cosmopolitan urban politicians of Dublin such as Shane Ross, bertie ahern, or the people's favourite son Tony Gregory?

There is huge superiority complex at play by some when talking about likes of Healy Raes.
    Yes they may sound like uneducated gobdaws and sometimes they may prove they aren't the smartest with such utterances as the one about climate change, but a fair amount of the time they feckin are speaking with some truth.

One example was the recent drink drive laws which dropped the limit from 80 to 50, which really is just about optics and probably tax collecting in some shape or form.
    The much laughed at and derided Danny somehow had the cop on to ask a question the minister, the Dept intellectual bright sparks, the RSA etc couldn't answer and that was to provide stats as to how many accidents were caused by people between those drink limits.

If one of the intellectuals favourites, good old Ross, had his way there would be a zero limit which is totally fecking ridiculous.

Another much lauded politician of some of our cosmopolitan, no doubt environmentally consicous types, is none other than the one that recently thought it a good idea to reintroduce wolves to Ireland.
    Give us a fooking break.

Good man. Stick it to the urban cosmopolitan elites with their lattes and yoga...and and their fancy edumaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Any more questionable than Bertie, Haughey, Baileys, etc?

Its funny how it is usually portrayed as culchie gombeenism as everywhere as their share of questionable TD actions and that includes our urban areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

jmayo wrote: »

Give us a fooking break.

One of the brothers had a rant actually shouting in the Dail about 4 cattle being shot in Northern Ireland which turned out was for disease reasons. I mean his whole anger was driven at healthy cows been shot why is that man standing in the Dail saying this.

• Advertisement

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    One of the brothers had a rant actually shouting in the Dail about 4 cattle being shot in Northern Ireland which turned out was for disease reasons. I mean his whole anger was driven at healthy cows been shot why is that man standing in the Dail saying this.

The Army were used to shoot the cows, that was the point, ironically he was complaining about a national resource being used at a local level..And as you have all said in this thread the Dail is the place to voice national interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    but personally I dont, likewise I have no issues of my TD not attending, and make an expensive long drive, if their vote wont make a difference, seems like commonsense to me, I never do a job that wont make any difference or yield any benefit.

He has no problem driving up to appear on TV, dangerously tailgating on the M8.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Tribal politics. We are the Africa of Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The Army were used to shoot the cows, that was the point, ironically he was complaining about a national resource being used at a local level..And as you have all said in this thread the Dail is the place to voice national interests.

I had to watch the clip of this one. He interrupts discussions on new legislation to say it was as disgrace giving the order to shoot some cows. He never managed to articulate why it was a disgrace. It seemed more likely that he was upset about the herd being repossessed than anything to do with a national resource being used at a local level.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

McGaggs wrote: »
    I had to watch the clip of this one. He interrupts discussions on new legislation to say it was as disgrace giving the order to shoot some cows. He never managed to articulate why it was a disgrace. It seemed more likely that he was upset about the herd being repossessed than anything to do with a national resource being used at a local level.

Yes, and they really don't mind calling in the army to tackle the rhododendron in Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Before I voted HR ALL the candidates came to visit me at home, that's how it works in South Kerry, dont know if the haters personally met every other candidate in their local election, maybe thats not unusual, I dont know ?

Anyway I asked them all the questions that were important to me, about local affairs and national.

I voted for the person who had the best answers and seemed the most caring, that was HR.

I am a scum you hate
    , but I don't see what I have done wrong ? I voted for the the person who was obviously the most knowledgeable about the matters that affect me, my family and the country I live in ?

I know every HR hater on here checks their car lights and tyre pressures, before every trip, like the book says, but personally I dont, likewise I have no issues of my TD not attending, and make an expensive long drive, if their vote wont make a difference, seems like commonsense to me, I never do a job that wont make any difference or yield any benefit.

And I do like the idea of the Healycopter, great name, but the HRs attend the important votes so I think it would be a waste of money.

There is no hatred here.

From the thread that reported "KERRY PEOPLE are the Disease", amended to most KERRY PEOPLE are the Disease !

No offence taken..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Good man. Stick it to the urban cosmopolitan elites with their lattes and yoga...and and their fancy edumaction.

Well there is a group of Irish people nowadays, lets call them the urban elite, who probably have a job with a large multinational possibly either a large tech company or pharma company, who then proceed to look down their nose at anything and anyone rural.

Often the case is anything west of Rathcoole, Leixlip and Blanchardstown, because some of these actual view non Dublin cities as little more than large collections of culchies.

And this group often comprise those that are not even native Dubs, but ones who hailed from some town or other, possibly even the countryside itself, before trundling off to college and now have a nice job with a major company in the big city.
    The mindset is really viewable when it comes to debates about rural housing, farming, transport, sports even and also having pops at rural politicians.

The funny thing is there are a quite a few real life Aonghus von Bismarks out there.

And the biggest shyters in Irish politics were from and elected by urban Dublin or doesn't the names haughey, lawlor, burke, ahern, callely, cosgrove ring any bells.
    Oasis1974 wrote: »

I presume that would be Danny.
    And yes he is often fond of Don Quixote type escapades tilting at windmills.
    Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Tribal politics. We are the Africa of Europe

One would think, but then again our nearest neighbours have decided to laterally shoot themselves in both feet and then resort to electing a buffoon as leader.

We have a habit of naval gazing and admonishing ourselves yet when you look at the wider world one can find some astounding stupidity.
    It is a human thing.

It is like when some lament about some backwards inbred shytehole somewhere in Ireland, it basically shows they have traveled fook all because such places exist around the world.
    Even in the most developed of countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

HR: I'll keep the people who decide if I have a job happy, feck the rest of them.
    Kerry ppl: he looks after us, of course he'll get my vote.

Hard to argue with really, and harder to see it changing unless the system changes.
    Maybe if every TD looked after their own areas as well, and was punished by not being re-elected when they didn't, we'd have a better infrastructure as a whole.
    I can't remember the last time I heard anybody speak of a Dublin TD as useful on any visible level.

Leave the international stuff to the ministers (or somebody). If TDs are meant to be looking after their voters and only their voters, who is meant to look after the country?

That, or everybody start working towards a common interest; but that seems a lot more fanciful at this stage.

Yep, I still think they're a bunch of selfish bog men lining their own pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    HR: I'll keep the people who decide if I have a job happy, feck the rest of them.
    Kerry ppl: he looks after us, of course he'll get my vote.

Hard to argue with really, and harder to see it changing unless the system changes.
    Maybe if every TD looked after their own areas as well, and was punished by not being re-elected when they didn't, we'd have a better infrastructure as a whole.
    I can't remember the last time I heard anybody speak of a Dublin TD as useful on any visible level.

Leave the international stuff to the ministers (or somebody). If TDs are meant to be looking after their voters and only their voters, who is meant to look after the country?

That, or everybody start working towards a common interest; but that seems a lot more fanciful at this stage.

Yep, I still think they're a bunch of selfish bog men lining their own pockets.

Ah yeah, Tony Gregory and Bertie Ahern were just misunderstood altruists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I didn't mean to imply that non-HR politicians aren't selfish or useless.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Neither of the first two are TDs for the last age, and Shane Ross is regularly pilloried for parish pump crap (like Stepaside Garda station).

Inaccurate strawman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

It was the clever one i think had the outburst. In fairness i can't make out in the end why hes so outraged but still these guys seem to bring up some seriously nonsensical topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

He can prove that he was there and back on the day, with toll and telephone records

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Neither of the first two are TDs for the last age
    I never said they were.

Gregory was the first instance of Me Feinism that I can recall. He had no interest in anything outside his own constituency and held the country to ransom, at a time when the economic conditions were far worse than the recent crash, to support projects and investment in his own constituency to the detriment of the rest of the country, yet is lauded for his work.

As for Bertie, I have no need to iterate his peculiarities, they have been well publicised and discussed for many year at this stage. Many would consider much of his activities as being outside the bounds of acceptable behaviour in his apparent massaging of money for purposes it wasn't intended for, yet he would remain extremely popular with many of his constituents.

Both urban and, arguably, guilty of worse behaviour than the Healy-Raes but the conversation is consistently that of rural Me Feinism when the same and far worse was inflicted on the country by urban practitioners of this persuasion.

I must admit I find it rather peculiar, sad and entertaining at the same time that so many can utterly fail to recognise that the implied failures of some rural politicians are seemingly oblivious to the exact same failures suffered by some of urban practitioners of the same ilk.
    , and Shane Ross is regularly pilloried for parish pump crap (like Stepaside Garda station).
    And rightly too.
    Inaccurate strawman.

Sure whatever you're having yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Don't be fooled by their deliverance like culchie shtick...these two are as cute as foxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd say they don't have to even bother canvassing for votes and know they are a shoo in come the next election, have to say it's baffling how popular they are down in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

goat2 wrote: »
    He can prove that he was there and back on the day, with toll and telephone records

Has he produced the evidence yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Don't be fooled by their deliverance like culchie shtick...these two are as cute as foxes.

Michael is meant to be an extremely clever man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭tjhook

The only way I can see to make the system work is to give local politicians more power. Make it so the Dail has little or no power over local matters.

The people in each constituency can vote for their own local politicians. If they choose badly, they only have themselves to blame for their choice.

Meanwhile, national politicians deal with national and international issues.

Of course the current system suits the parish pump incumbents, so it will not change.

Advertisement