Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding things to do when your off work

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 129 ✭✭thetimeisnow

Thanks everyone for the replies. A lot of people have suggested I need an OH:) which is probably my end game. But its a constant gnaw and worry in my head that if I ever do meet someone they will be put off by how little I have going in my life outside of work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I really don't find that at all. Maybe just trying the wrong clubs though. My mam learnt to play in her late 50's and is very much a welcomed and valued member in her club (which isn't an upper society type place at all - everyone welcome).

Thanks everyone for the replies. A lot of people have suggested I need an OH:) which is probably my end game. But its a constant gnaw and worry in my head that if I ever do meet someone they will be put off by how little I have going in my life outside of work

Honestly OP, I think the fact that you want to have stuff going on would counteract that. People understand that sometimes with work and how life is, that when people get down time, they just want to chill out. Just do stuff you want to do, even if it means doing it by yourself for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭bren2001

Patww79 wrote: »

Literally couldn't be further from my experience with golf. I've found clubs and people to be welcoming regardless of abilities. Once you follow the rules and etiquette (which are pretty obvious), I've never run into an issue. Any time I see a new person hacking up a course, I just smile and am glad I'm past that stage (barely!).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Not a golfer myself but have heard the terms hacker be used disparagingly on numerous occasions. Usually in relation to holding up the supposed pro trying to play through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Tennis is meant to be a great one to play. You can play it for the rest of your life. Not t as pricey as golf. Games are shorter than golf. Haven’t taken it up myself yet but will do in the future

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Someone mentioned it already, but i’m gonna say it again. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, it’s a fantastic sport, I’ve been to number of clubs around the country at this stage, and not one of them made me feel uncomfortable to enter, everyone is so helpful.

And don’t gimme the ‘30’s is too old to start’ I started at 32.

We have members in our gym from 15-58. The comoradere in the clubs is fantastic, you’ll make some great friends, you’ll get fitter and learn an awesome new skill.

Try it, most clubs give your first couple of classes free so you have nothing to lose.

OP, join a role-playing club. :D Yup. D&D, or any of the white wolf releases. I've found that there's been a surge of interest for men in the 30-40 age range, and you'll meet similar lads to yourself. And a few creepy lasses too. Good fun.

I'd also suggest dance classes. I did Salsa/Tango when I was in my late 20s, (I did ballroom/traditional dance in my 30s) and it was an excellent way to meet women (for all manner of relationships). I've found plenty of use for it while on holidays/travels too, and it's nice to be able to do something most other guys can't/won't. Women love that you can.

Lastly, consider writing short stories and getting them published. Not a huge commitment of time needed, and if you get them published to magazines, you can make quite a bit of cash. I've recently switched from short stories to writing novels, which requires far more commitment/discipline, but if you have the time available...
    eeloe wrote: »
    Try it, most clubs give your first couple of classes free so you have nothing to lose.

I'd second that. I've done a variety of marital arts intros for free and they're interesting to try out.

Advertisement