Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's going on?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭irishrebe

leggo wrote: »
    But this isn’t a new problem! Go back and watch Friends on Netflix from the start: the women characters all complain about lads who sleep around and don’t call them afterwards. One of the male characters IS one of those guys! That was in 1994, when the idea of Tinder would’ve been something that would’ve been discussed and scoffed at on Tomorrow’s World.

Dating has always been a pain in the hole. Before dating here we had no sex before marriage, illegal contraception, mothers who got pregnant out of wedlock being sent to homes or ‘living in sin’ and being the talk of the neighbourhood. I’ll take today’s set of problems any day.
    Sure, the problem isn't new but I'd say it's more widespread. And to me, the main reason for that is the lack of accountability. If a woman meets a man through mutual friends, it's a lot harder for him to treat her badly or 'ghost' her, for obvious reasons. Meeting a total stranger from an app with no friends in common, maybe living in a totally different area seems to make it very easy for some people to forget that the other person is a human being with feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

irishrebe wrote: »
    Sure, the problem isn't new but I'd say it's more widespread. And to me, the main reason for that is the lack of accountability. If a woman meets a man through mutual friends, it's a lot harder for him to treat her badly or 'ghost' her, for obvious reasons. Meeting a total stranger from an app with no friends in common, maybe living in a totally different area seems to make it very easy for some people to forget that the other person is a human being with feelings.

Ghosting is an awful, selfish, hurtful, spiteful and disrespectful thing to do, those who would do this should just FRO.

One thing I’m thinking about recently is personality compatibility. My ex is a very outgoing person, talks to anyone and makes connections with people easily. I’m much more guarded and introverted and through a friend have been evaluating (of all things) star signs. Certain tendencies and traits can be possibly attributed this way. I don’t think it’s a logical thing, and wouldn’t have considered it before but looking through my own history I’ve gotten on much better with those of the same sign. Is it all hocus pocus or would you think about this at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

A few things have changed over the years

1.online dating apps flooded the dating market in women, few studys on this if you google
    (ie...tinder came from grinder which is a gay hook up app...hook up culture)

2. rise of working independent women has changed the notion of traditional courtship (ie men not having to pay or commit resources/time which was an aspect of past dating)

3. Same sex marriage ref devalued it in the eyes of many single men....or at least in the eyes of the traditional man you'd want to commit

4. Recent 8th amendment further changed things regarding children/family

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

padz wrote: »
    3. Same sex marriage ref devalued it in the eyes of many single men....or at least in the eyes of the traditional man you'd want to commit

Sorry...what? Are you actually arguing that all the 'traditional men women want to commit' are those who see marriage as devalued because 'the gays' can do it too now??

That's hilarious. Can't a woman find a good homophobe in this town anymore?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

leggo wrote: »
    Sorry...what? Are you actually arguing that all the 'traditional men women want to commit' are those who see marriage as devalued because 'the gays' can do it too now??

That's hilarious. Can't a woman find a good homophobe in this town anymore?! :pac:

Don't forgot the 8th has changed things to....even though...ya know...nothing has actually changed yet!!!! Think somebody forgot their meds.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement