Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish Parliament rejects Brexit

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Correct, Scotland is a region of the United Kingdom. It's not a "country" in the same way NI is not a "country", or Wales/England.

The United Kingdom is the country.

Actually incorrect...

Scotland (as is Wales AND Northern Ireland) is indeed a country....

A country which is part of the sovereign nation of the United Kingdom...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/01/the-difference-between-the-uk-england-and-great-britain/

https://www.google.ie/search?q=which+countries+constitute+the+united+kingdom&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE787IE787&oq=which+countries+constitue+the+unit&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0.9679j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countries_of_the_United_Kingdom

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Scotland is a part of the united kingdom.

The united Kingdom voted as a whole to leave the e.u.

Unless Scotland becomes independent then they are stuck with brexit whether their parliament likes it or not

Well its symbolic.
    They are effectively forcing Westminster for the first time in 19 years to officially overrule the devolved government in Edinburgh. Which they can legally do.

So it's only symbolic. But also pretty historic.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Scotland is a part of the united kingdom.

The united Kingdom voted as a whole to leave the e.u.

Unless Scotland becomes independent then they are stuck with brexit whether their parliament likes it or not
    They're stuck with it either way. Scotland cannot grandfather itself into the EU. So whether it leaves the UK or the UK leaves the EU, Scotland will have to leave the EU. This is why the first referendum was defeated.

As for why they voted to reject Brexit, parliaments and councils do this all the time with motions. It's effectively a statement; an official position on a topic, but that doesn't mean they can do anything about it.

Occasionally you'l hear odd things like, "Dublin City Council passes motion officially condemning Israeli attack on Gaza". Because the nature of these things is that anyone can propose any motion for everyone else to vote on.

In terms of Scotland, it's laying the groundwork for a Scottish exit from the UK. They can't block Brexit, but with an official declaration that Scotland doesn't want it, they can move forward to act against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They could just leave the UK, and join Ireland, in the same way that Norn Iron is joined to england :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

the_syco wrote: »
    They could just leave the UK, and join Ireland, in the same way that Norn Iron is joined to england :pac:

I'd take the Scots over the nordies any day, way more craic and way less issues about flegs and marches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

VinLieger wrote: »
    I'd take the Scots over the nordies any day, way more craic and way less issues about flegs and marches
    The humorous bit is that most of the fleg people ancestors would probably have been planted from Scotland, although their ancestors would have probably hated the english.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭EdEd

myshirt wrote: »
    Lads, if you look at the human element here, who would like to be Theresa May right now?

Christ on a bicycle, I feel for the woman. It's non stop.

Brexit means brexit she repeated non stop. She dug her own grave and I hope she made it comfy for herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

the_syco wrote: »
    The humorous bit is that most of the fleg people ancestors would probably have been planted from Scotland, although their ancestors would have probably hated the english.
    You see, that's why the Scots hate the English. Because they took all the Britain-loving Scots and moved them to Northern Ireland.

I think a (figurative) swap would be fair game. Let NI stay with the union, the Scots can join us in the new country of Scotiéire. Border arrangements will be fun.

EdEd wrote: »
    Brexit means brexit she repeated non stop. She dug her own grave and I hope she made it comfy for herself.

There's a saying in Dutch that translates into :

If you burn your ass you'll have to sit on the blisters...

Seems appropriate

seamus wrote: »
    You see, that's why the Scots hate the English

The Scots hate everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,833 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

They are 'Brits'.

We're all Brits ;)

Quazzie wrote: »
    We're all Brits ;)

oh boy....somebody better put the pint glasses and sharp objects away.

Maybe the blunt ones as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,833 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

wexie wrote: »
    oh boy....somebody better put the pint glasses and sharp objects away.

Maybe the blunt ones as well.

We all live on the British Isles and are therefore all Brits.

I guess that is true enough.

Even so perhaps it's an opinion you should keep to yourself when out in public.
    (although I couldn't care less, oddly enough there are many who do)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

What's this British Isles that you speak of? Is that Great Britain and the Isle of Man etc.

Shur, are Londoners Ionaish being from the Islands Of the North Atlantic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Go find the nearest Scot to you, tell them that...

Report back here when you're out of A&E....

Why?

It's geographically correct.

Maybe the odd Celtic/Hibernian plastic paddy hooligan type might take issue with the fact but i'm pretty sure it's not going to upset the average scotsman to the point of violence.

I always find it weird how the Irish consider Britain to be England and nothing else.

That's not the common usage of the term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

And Britain borders the Irish sea which makes the Brits Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

I suppose one could argue the English are the only people who aren't British as the name relates to the Pretani. The "painted people" who inhabited these islands before the coming of the Romans while English refers the later Angles, Saxons etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I suppose one could argue the English are the only people who aren't British as the name relates to the Pretani. The "painted people" who inhabited these islands before the coming of the Romans while English refers the later Angles, Saxons etc.

But Cumbria, Cornwall, Devon etc and interbreeding

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Aegir wrote: »
    The Scots hate everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Go find the nearest Scot to you, tell them that...

Report back here when you're out of A&E....

They had their chance for independence and refused it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/may/15/scottish-parliament-decisively-reject-eu-withdrawal-bill-brexit

Well this has just turned interesting.
    Well done Scotland. Well deserved kick against the shin to the Brexiteers

This is why the UK should break up.
    The idea of the UK is formed from 18th century imperialism.

Republics are built on ideas from 18th century enlightenment

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The Scots voted against deciding their own future then immediately regret their lack of backbone.

I doubt another independence vote would pass despite all that has happened. Unionism is stronger in Scotland than people here think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

This is why the UK should break up.
    The idea of the UK is formed from 18th century imperialism.

Republics are built on ideas from 18th century enlightenment

It was Scotland's failed attempts at imperialism that got them into a union with England in the first place.

This vote is just another pathetic attempt by Sturgeon to make her feel important.

Nothing will come of it.

More of this delusional shíte. The more power the Brits lose the more they dreg up their jingoistic terminology like this and get upset when the natives refuse to be claimed by them. Watch this space as the British plebs get more Europhobic and dream of spreading their state to cover all of Ireland again as a reaction to the turmoil of post-Brexit England, shi teíng on about how their native Irish victims suddenly have a "shared history" with their British colonial subjugators.

Long live the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

More of this delusional shíte. The more power the Brits lose the more they dreg up their jingoistic terminology like this and get upset when the natives refuse to be claimed by them. Watch this space as the British plebs get more Europhobic and dream of spreading their state to cover all of Ireland again as a reaction to the turmoil of post-Brexit England, shi teíng on about how their native Irish victims suddenly have a "shared history" with their British colonial subjugators.

Long live the EU.

Is it just the British you have a problem with?

No issues with that brutal imperial power and EU member that is France?

The country that refuses to give up its past just like Britain?

You have no issues with France insisting on having its overseas colonies in the pacific and North America on € banknotes? (Yes they are there)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

Scotland had their chance
    will be in great brit union and outside eu

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

wpd wrote: »
    Scotland had their chance
    will be in great brit union and outside eu

Especially the Irish should know that referenda can be run more than once...
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Dempsey wrote: »
    The Scots voted against deciding their own future then immediately regret their lack of backbone.
    Another fine thing to thank that older generation for.

Advertisement