Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight night May 12. Fury/Sexton & Linares/Lomachenko

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Good points on commentary...

As usual the more known and revered boxer gets 80 percent of the praise. Crowd also showing this...

What bugs me most is the cheering from both crowd and commentary when shots don’t even connect properly...

The opposing boxer has to work twice as hard to get the same adulation and acknowledgement...

pac_man wrote: »
    If Loma was winning the round then that would have been a 10-9 round with the knockdown to Linares under the ten point must system.

I get this, but really, a judge would need to be very sure Loma was winning the rds for a 10-9 here. If rd is close in the judges’ eyes (they have Loma just winning it) then they should really go 10-8 Linares for the knockdown...

Not sure on the exact criteria. Being so subjective it can throw up permutations.

10-9 Linares IMO is not a bad call. Rd was close. It was one punch landed to score JD..

Sometimes I think a 10-8 should have to be a little clearer..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

If Loma was winning the round then that would have been a 10-9 round with the knockdown to Linares under the ten point must system.

I had understood that in this circumstance you had to score the round 9-9.

I.E. Loma won the round 10-9 but take a point off for the knockdown = 9-9

I've read conflicting reports in this circumstance if it should be 10-10, 9-9 or 10-9??

Winner generally gets 10...

Let’s say without KD it’s Loma 10-9. Loma gets knocked down resulting in a swing. Losing the rd via going from 10 to 9 points, and Linares winning the rd going from 9 to 10 points...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Is there an argument that if there's a KD then the scorer deserves to get to 10 and the fighter conceding deserves to go to 8 regardless of how the round had been going? Like getting a goal or a try etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭squinn2912

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Is there an argument that if there's a KD then the scorer deserves to get to 10 and the fighter conceding deserves to go to 8 regardless of how the round had been going? Like getting a goal or a try etc

This generally what happens but at the same time, is a bit contradictory to the scoring system. It seems to be the default setting for alot of people to just award someone a 10-8 for a knockdown while completely ignoring the other stuff. I could be battering you around the ring for 2mins55 seconds but then you knock me down. That shouldn't be a 10-8 round to you but in practice you'll more than likely get it.
    Yea I can see how that would frustrate but I'd be in favor of that system where a kd is worth more. I wouldn't be against the system where that type of round is 10-9 to me or 9-9 even, as long as there were consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

No it would be a 10-9 round. A 9-9 round would be if someone was winning
    a round but had a point taking off them for a foul. It's the ten point must system.

But isn’t having a point taken off for a foul the same as having one taken off for a KD?
    Surely a boxer who clearly wins a round but gets knocked down innocuously deserves an even round at worst?

Yes...10-10 rd, not 9-9...unless rule infringements/deductions have taken place..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It was the best boxing bout i've seen in a long time. I would love a rematch. If you combine the attributes of Garcia and Linares into one fighter you'd have the beating of Lomachenko. Garcia has the power and nautral size advantage to stop Lomachenko, but he does not have the hand speed or footwork of Linares, so i don't see how he gets to Lomachenko. I think you will see more young boxers taking up ballet dancing if it means they will turn out Lomachenko. We have to enjoy him while we can before father time catches up with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

weemcd wrote: »
    I have Bunce down as a complete and total spoofer of the absolute highest order. Does he have a boxing background? I cannot stand the man and don't know how anyone else can.

Hopkins knows a fool when he sees one, and doesn't suffer fools either.
    "He's an angry man when he gets angry." Good lad steve

• Advertisement

Probably one of the best bouts I’ve been to over here. Two elite top class fighters in the most iconic venue and while it was not full as they had the upper tiers closed off there was a great atmosphere I would estimate that 75 to 80% of the crowd were Ukrainian or just Loma fans.

Running through the rain I was a wee bit late but got the last half of Michael’s opening round.  Not just getting the deserved decision but getting the full eight rounds for the first time was the most satisfying part. He was comfortable throughout against an opponent that was hard to find and didn’t want to know. Again early days so patience is required as he builds up his record and experience. I feel a higher quality opponent could upset him as he seems to lose his temper quickly as seen by throwing the Basque to the canvas in the fourth. His lack of power was evident as well as this guy should have been out of there earlier.

The welterweight clash next up was a good fight as the Mexican took some amount of punishment from a skilled Adames who landed the harder cleaner shots but a good scrap to warm up the crowd with the Dominican taking the decision.

Main event was heavily anticipated with Linares a worthy foe.  Rumours that he was at 152 abounded and he certainly looked it although his odds of 10/1 were disrespectful.

Picking up on an earlier point here the showboating was absent which was good to see. Not just out of respect but because this was a busy fight compared to the last time.

The sixth round knockdown was great on so many levels. It showed Loma is mortal, that he can take a shot, albeit it wasn’t powerful and it gives hope to others in trying to negotiate his flaws. Thought it was a close enough fight but had Loma ahead but the savage shot in the tenth made it all a moot point. I don’t think anyone other than ringside in the arena saw it and when the replay showed there was a crescendo of noise!

Doubt a rematch would be a good sell so Garcia would be good for Loma. He has a big following here and Loma needs to get bigger so this fight would make sense. Arum confirmed that next up is Beltran in August but things change in this game!

It was twenty minutes by the time the new Champion left the ring and there was a moment where he stood alone in the ring and it was visible that after the adrenalin wore off he knew he had been tested.

But seeing Loma at this peak is a joy. His jabs and feints and especially his pivots are unique to this game. Nobody in the sport can achieve this with the sustained brilliance that he can. For me his ability to completely demoralize his opponents is unique.

Great to be there to see boxing history being made.

0103de32bf77cfd19ec54134dd1ceeca.jpg

cda43d71ed3aa8f311a04831ca3ee520.jpg

1d069da4c36f843580ca431fe933dea1.jpg

a87809eb47dbc9babd559e1c594cb6e0.jpg

c94e2a5141f9700d638619edf8be9b6e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

I love those fight night reports you give Shoveller. Real authentic boxing fan vibe off them always.

Keep them coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Shoveller, how much were the tickets for your seat out of curiosity?...would you look at the fighters itself or the big screen from your position...

Thanks megadodge. At home I was continually frustrated at not being able to watch the fights live. They were on too late or too early and then the commentary was lopsided so being here getting to see these fights live is a huge pleasure. In any sport watching it live is the business.

Liam the ticket was $129 which is twice the normal price here but given that card didnt think twice. Have to add these are the cheapest prices. I never watch the fights on the big screen as that means I could have stayed at home! Plus the angle is different and you tend to switch off at the bell whereas watching it live and ignoring the big screen means you can see whats going in the corner in that one minute.

Sometimes if you are high up like we were for GGG v Jacobs it is hard to take your eyes off it as the big screen is more prominent. Only time I find the big screen useful is for replays between the rounds and last saturday the promo was spine tingling and got everyone revved up.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Thanks megadodge. At home I was continually frustrated at not being able to watch the fights live. They were on too late or too early and then the commentary was lopsided so being here getting to see these fights live is a huge pleasure. In any sport watching it live is the business.

Liam the ticket was $129 which is twice the normal price here but given that card didnt think twice. Have to add these are the cheapest prices. I never watch the fights on the big screen as that means I could have stayed at home! Plus the angle is different and you tend to switch off at the bell whereas watching it live and ignoring the big screen means you can see whats going in the corner in that one minute.

Sometimes if you are high up like we were for GGG v Jacobs it is hard to take your eyes off it as the big screen is more prominent. Only time I find the big screen useful is for replays between the rounds and last saturday the promo was spine tingling and got everyone revved up.

...Damn, sounds like I need to add this to my bucket list!...

Advertisement