Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight night May 12. Fury/Sexton & Linares/Lomachenko

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

I didn't see the body punch first time round. Beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Holy ****..did not see that coming. I think Linares was ahead on scorecards and looked like he was going the distance no problem...but that makes this win all the more notable. What a fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

Impressive. Loma's a real champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

That was sweet! Just back from Eurovision to catch round 6 on!
    What a punch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That was just one lovely body shot that was added onto many previous ones...

Loma broke him down. Buzzsaw!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I had Loma winning all bar 3 rounds, and even the round he got knocked down in, he was well on top until then.

1,6 and 9 for Linares, the rest were Loma imo and some of them by a good bit.

Saying that, credit to Linares. He gave Loma his biggest test (ignoring the dirty Salido), and it was such a good fight with some classy displays.

A touch of greatness about that from Loma. What a killer bodyshot to pull out in a tough fight like that.

I think overall Loma was ahead and winning, but some tight rds...had it went the distance with rds being similar then a close card..

walshb wrote: »
    I think overall Loma was ahead and winning, but some tight rds...had it went the distance with rds being similar then a close card..

I had him up by a few points as well. Most people seem to have had it fairly even though. Judges as well.

• Advertisement

In a nutshell his jab won him the fight. It’s insanely effective. Speed, range, precision, and most effective of all is that it has no predictability or rhythm. Short, long, mid...

His jab is unreal. Amazing how sharp he stays despite the pace he fights at.

I think a rematch would be good. I think Loma is at his limit in regards to going up in weight, and unless Garcia wants to stay at 135 (which I doubt), Linares is the best fight for Loma out there.

He could probably win a title at 140 but won't have success there, and other than Linares, Easter is the only guy at 135 who might give a fight and at 130, I can't see those other champions even fighting him. LSC might be a decent fight if he came 130 or Loma went back to 126

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

walshb wrote: »

Absolutely. Linares definitlely won a few rounds, no doubt. Would have had Lomachenko ahead after 9, but it was tight and looked like it would stay that way until the finish until the knockout shot.

Just seen scorecards were allegedly even! Just shows...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Lomachenko is a really a joy to watch. Not sure a rematch would be the same fight, I think only one fighter gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Usually the script is that when a fighter moves up in weight class he will do well and look good for a few rounds before the more powerful man ko’s him. This guy is special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

What is the ceiling for Loma weight wise? Can't see him getting any higher, surley?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭weemcd

I thought Linares had some good moments in that, obviously the knockdown but he was giving Loma some problems. Size difference was very noticeable. You will also notice that Loma did a lot less showboating that you have seen him do previously, out of respect.

I would question how much higher Loma can go, as at 30 I don't see him getting any bigger. What do other people think on this?

Winner of Matthysse v Pac would be a fairly high profile fight. Crawford is still a big ask at this point.

Good points. Loma had to be non stop there to stay a slight step ahead..

Size and reach were issues.

One other thing. The shot that dropped him wasn’t heavy, but seemed to go right through his body.

140 may be his absolute limit. Small enough dude..

Yet he somehow manages to do things against bigger men that make him look as big and rangy..

So much going for him...for me it’s actually his defense that makes him so good..it’s an exceptional defense, even if he can get caught a little bit. It’s a better D than even Mayweather for me, because it’s an offensive fight winning break down opponent defense..

Plenty moments in that fight where his D kind of saved him from clean heavy shots. His guard and ability to absorb the shots in arms and gloves so well. Can be the difference between taking the shot and getting sparked out. Linares threw a lot of excellently heavy and accurate and fast punches. Loma neutralized almost all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭weemcd

I remember thinking the knockdown punch was very fast and clean, but it wasn't a huge ko/fight ending punch. I was reasonably happy if he didn't get tagged clean he could clear his head for a round and be fine, which to his credit he did.

Another fight or two at LW should perhaps let him settle a bit at the weight.

Reading online Arum doesn't seem to think negotiations with Garcia would go well. Which doesn't surprise me in boxing unfortunately.

• Advertisement

I think Loma would have an “easier” time with Mikey...

Styles.......mainly down to speed. Mikey doesn’t have the same style troubling punch delivery speed that Linares showed. This will give Lomachenko even more time and space to create beauty..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Think Garcia is all wrong for Lomachenko personally @140 which is the only way I see the fight happening. Speed isn't too much of an issue, he'll wear him down. He has a lot more leather than Linares, a lot more durable too and technically there's few if anyone more polished than Mikey. Picks his shots perfectly and I think his pressure will upset Lomachenko something rotten too. Compared to Linares he's stronger, more powerful and the better pure boxer.

Commentary was awful last night, Lomachenko closed it out spectacularly but that was an incredibly close fight. You'd figure the prize pig of Boxing would be more clinical against a lad who went to hell and back to beat Kevin Mitchell and struggled against Luke Campbell and at times, Anthony Crolla.

Yes, the Mikey fight has to be at 140...

All valid in-depth points about why Mikey will be more dangerous than Linares...

But with Loma I think if the real snappy speed is not there he will have a field day..

Mikey’s feet and hands are the issue. They are not fast enough. And his timing and technique will not play a part against a master like Loma..

The point about Mikey wearing him down I cannot get behind..

Can't fight Mikey at 140 tbh. He's a bigger fighter than Linares at 135 never mind allowing him another 5 pounds. The skill difference between Loma and Mikey isn't enough to make up for the size and power difference imo.

At 135, he's got a chance, especially if you add in rehydration limits, but I'd favour Mikey after last night.

Loma beats anyone else at 135 though, and at 140, he's got a shot to win a title but he's not having sustained success there. Some of the guys there are too big for him imo, but with some right matchups, he can take a belt. Likes of Flanagan have gone to 140 and fighting for a title and Loma is a far better fighter than him

I concede the size and power difference, but Loma’s speed, feet and defense trump this for me. Can’t see Mikey landing the big fast fight changing punch to win, and for me he needs it. Will no way win on points..and his size won’t break Loma down. Had he more snap and speed I would rethink...

I too thought that Linares’ body work was good, but hugely important was Loma’s defending against it. Blocked a lot, took a lot of sting out of the shots...conversely, Linares didn’t defend well enough against Loma’s body attack..it was key...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

pac_man wrote: »
    That was a brillant fight to watch, really high end stuff. I had Linares ahead, I loved his body punching and thought he had the quicker handspeed
    but it was an extremely close fight despite what the top rank commentary were telling you on boxnation.

Super fight. I had it a draw as did the Judges. 1 had Loma 2 up, 1 had Linares 2 up and the last had it all square

Loma always looked the better fighter but Linares was still very effective and had some good rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

pac_man wrote: »
    I didn't know that but that sounds about right. How did you score the knockdown round ( round 6)? Might be in the minority here but thought the knockdown round was a 10-9 round rather than 10-8 to Linares.

I gave it 10-8 and it looks like all the judges did too as they all have 10 point below par score after 9 (85-85, 84-86 and 86-84).
    For me the knockdown was the significant moment in that round and enough to win it and then the KD bonus makes it 10-8.
    If you think Loma won the round but Linares scored the KD surely you have to score it a draw?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I don't see why the Mikey fight has to be at 140. Mikey is fighting Easter Jr at 135 next and vacating his belt at 140.

I think Mikey-Loma is the best fight in the sport. Actually think I'd maybe lean towards Mikey given his size, accuracy and timing mainly. He's an amazing fighter.

Something needs to give for that fight to ever happen though. Mikey's relationship with Arum/Top Rank is toxic. Wonder if Hearn signs Mikey as rumoured he could be the middle man to make that fight happen. One can dream anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Linares did much better than I expected, that was a high class contest from both men. Lomachenko is brilliant but I feel he can be beaten again, the fight with Garcia is mouthwatering.

Advertisement