Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is a monkey wrench a worthwhile investment?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Is the Halfords stuff that bad? I saw a sexy 200pc socket set(if a socket set can b called sexy?) in Halfords over the weekend, for ~€120. Looked good but I've no idea of the quality

I've got a Goodyear 108pc set I got on Amazon a few years ago for ~€30-40. It's been abused by several cheater bars, and hammers, and hasn't rounded a nut on me yet.

That Halfords Advanced Pro stuff is excellent, don't mind him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭4fvw6lcprxeoyq

jimgoose wrote: »
    That Halfords Advanced Pro stuff is excellent, don't mind him.

Ah right, lol!
    Yea they've got ~4.8\5 ratings for most of their sets on the website. I can't imagine them making up fake ratings or anything.
    I got an air con refill at their store last week for €45, so they're in my good books at the moment.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

I use a mid size one and very large one for tracking they can be handy. But in normal day to day I wouldn't go for one or if you need two spanners the same size but you only have one.
    They do work if you know how to use them

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

Ah right, lol!
    Yea they've got ~4.8\5 ratings for most of their sets on the website. I can't imagine them making up fake ratings or anything.
    I got an air con refill at their store last week for €45, so they're in my good books at the moment.. :D

The halfords stuff is ok for mucking around at home doing your own bits and bobs. Personally I wouldn’t rate them in a full on workshop environment.
    But then I’m more of a brittool and Facom kinda person.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jones 19

Handy for tracking, haven't used it on anything else, when it grips it has a great bite.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Jimmy Dags

Bmw123d wrote: »
    The halfords stuff is ok for mucking around at home doing your own bits and bobs. Personally I wouldn’t rate them in a full on workshop environment.
    But then I’m more of a brittool and Facom kinda person.

Exactly, handy for the YouTube mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

A stilson... Great for stubborn track rod ends, twisting struts into position on some steering knuckles (carefully, like on a Fiesta) and seized exhausts you don't care about for example.

They have their uses in small doses

Advertisement