Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is a monkey wrench a worthwhile investment?

Options
  • 11-05-2018 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

I usually tackle my car problems myself, unless it's something like a windscreen or tracking but my opinion of monkey wrenches (from when I was a kid) is that they're useless for any tough nuts or bolts, they just slip off.
    Are they really as useless as I remember, compared to a spanner? Or was my childhood-self just using crappy ones, or using them wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Monkey wrenches are great, for plumbers. Stick with good quality spanners and sockets for the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭4fvw6lcprxeoyq

Monkey wrenches are great, for plumbers. Stick with good quality spanners and sockets for the car.

Sound. That's what I was thinking alright. They're big awkward yokes anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

My brother in law, who is a plumber, was trying to take the wheel off his van with one. In fairness the studs were stuck and he'd bent the tool from the van's tool kit, but he nearly wrecked the studs with it. Came off easy when I used the correct tool, an impact wrench.

Del2005 wrote: »
    My brother in law, who is a plumber, was trying to take the wheel off his van with one. In fairness the studs were stuck and he'd bent the tool from the van's tool kit, but he nearly wrecked the studs with it. Came off easy when I used the correct tool, an impact wrench.

Lol! Wheel nuts can be a bitch. I keep a 17mm socket, a sliding extension from my socket set, and a section of pipe as a cheater bar, in the boot for changing wheels. The little 's' shaped tool that came with my jack is a joke. If you hear the nut "crack" when it loosens, then you know you'll be screwed without something proper.
    The only time I can really think of, when a monkey wrench could be handy, is to keep a bolt from turning if you don't have a second spanner or socket to hold it. Or to hit things..

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Dero

Lol! Wheel nuts can be a bitch. I keep a 17mm socket, a sliding extension from my socket set, and a section of pipe as a cheater bar, in the boot for changing wheels.

I just keep a breaker bar with a 17mm socket permanently in the boot. The wheel brace that came with the car might as well be made of chocolate.

• Advertisement

Dero wrote: »
    I just keep a breaker bar with a 17mm socket permanently in the boot. The wheel brace that came with the car might as well be made of chocolate.

Indeed. That's why I never (ok, rarely) slag women who can't change a wheel. I think even the mighty Chuck Norris would fail miserably, trying to use some of these oem wheel braces..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have two adjustable wrenches and love them, but for car work I rarely use them as I find sockets better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Have a large 12 inch adjustable. Have used it for track rods and some oil filter caps that i didn’t have a socket big enough for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I've about 4 of them in the garage and have used them maybe twice. I stick with sockets,spanners and an impact gun

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

A monkey wrench is also known as a pipe-wrench, it is designed to grip and twist round pipes and is completely unsuitable for use on regular fasteners - nuts, bolts et al - except in dire emergency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

OP doesn't say what car the have, but if it's a 1927 Ford, a monkey wrench might be a legit bit of OEM toolkit:

"These are also known as a Ford wrench owing to this type of wrench being included in the tool kit supplied with every Ford Model A."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_wrench

:D

A "monkey wrench" or shifting spanner as they are called this side of the world are also know as.....

Thumb detecting nut ****ers,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

jimgoose wrote: »
    A monkey wrench is also known as a pipe-wrench, it is designed to grip and twist round pipes and is completely unsuitable for use on regular fasteners - nuts, bolts et al - except in dire emergency.

Would that not be a Stilson jimgoose?

I would call a Monkey wrench a Shifters.

wiz569 wrote: »
    Would that not be a Stilson jimgoose?

I would call a Monkey wrench a Shifters.

Mmm, I would have thought a Shifters was what I'd call an adjustable spanner. Anyway, I call a Vise-Grip a Petersen Shifter for a Honda Cub 50! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

Ur messing around with cars and calling things monkey wrenches. The days of messing around with tools like that on cars are long gone with the modern car now. Us mechanics now require even bigger tool boxes with more and more tools for the job.

Leave the (monkey wrench) in the store and leave the car work to the guys who have spent years learning there trade.

Just my 2cents

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bmw123d wrote: »
    Ur messing around with cars and calling things monkey wrenches. The days of messing around with tools like that on cars are long gone with the modern car now. Us mechanics now require even bigger tool boxes with more and more tools for the job.

Leave the (monkey wrench) in the store and leave the car work to the guys who have spent years learning there trade.

Just my 2cents

You haven't got a monkey's! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Bmw123d wrote: »

Just my 2cents

And with this advice, there was no longer a need for the "DIY Car Maintenance and Repair" sub forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

phutyle wrote: »
    And with this advice, there was no longer a need for the "DIY Car Maintenance and Repair" sub forum.

Mearly stating that mechanics spend money on top quality tools to be able to preform specific jobs. No issue with people doing there own diy on cars but I do have a issue when u hear people asking questions about doing jobs or certain things that is clear they no nothing about. And there are plenty of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

A monkey wrench, as in a stilson has no place near a car.
    However a good quality adjustable spanner is definitely a handy thing to keep in the car should you get caught out on the road.
    But its no substitute for a six sided socket or a quality spanner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

If you want to work for Halfrauds then buy the biggest monkey wrench you can find and bring it to your interview. Thats all they use there and you will have job security.

Otherwise don't.

• Advertisement

If you want to work for Halfrauds then buy the biggest monkey wrench you can find and bring it to your interview. Thats all they use there and you will have job security.

Otherwise don't.

Coming from the lad that thinks a Hyundai coupe looks like a Ferrari :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Drop it now please

martyc5674 wrote: »
    A monkey wrench, as in a stilson has no place near a car.
    However a good quality adjustable spanner is definitely a handy thing to keep in the car should you get caught out on the road.
    But its no substitute for a six sided socket or a quality spanner.

Yea, suppose I should have been more specific and said "adjustable spanner"! Monkey wrench seems to be a loose generic term for both. And yea, I can't imagine finding any use for a pipe wrench on a car.. (except when it pisses me off, maybe.)

I suppose an adjustable spanner may be handy in an emergency alright, or to hold a spinning bolt if you don't have two same-size spanners. I wouldn't fancy opening a hub nut with one though! Don't think I'll be rushing out to buy one, either way.
    In my original question I was just half wondering if they'd improved since I was a kid. I remember you could never get them tight enough without them expanding, and slipping, and rounding the nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Yea, suppose I should have been more specific and said "adjustable spanner"! Monkey wrench seems to be a loose generic term for both. And yea, I can't imagine finding any use for a pipe wrench on a car.. (except when it pisses me off, maybe.)

I suppose an adjustable spanner may be handy in an emergency alright, or to hold a spinning bolt if you don't have two same-size spanners. I wouldn't fancy opening a hub nut with one though! Don't think I'll be rushing out to buy one, either way.
    In my original question I was just half wondering if they'd improved since I was a kid. I remember you could never get them tight enough without them expanding, and slipping, and rounding the nut.

Yes you can actually get good quality ones now... however most are still rubbish like you described.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Dero wrote: »

I laughed at this... (the chocolate ref)
    Anyway 12v impact driver cant be bet.

I laughed at this... (the chocolate ref)
    Anyway 12v impact driver cant be bet.

I have a Bahco BHS240 1/2''-drive socket set in the boot. This kit will reduce a bulldozer to components in about ten minutes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

A "monkey wrench" or shifting spanner as they are called this side of the world are also know as.....

Thumb detecting nut ****ers,

AvE?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Jimmy Dags

It would be a handy tool after rounding nuts with the mighty halfords 12 point fisher price set.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭cletus

Jimmy Dags wrote: »
    It would be a handy tool after rounding nuts with the mighty halfords 12 point fisher price set.

2 out of 10. I've seen better tbh, you'll have to up your game

• Advertisement

Jimmy Dags wrote: »

Is the Halfords stuff that bad? I saw a sexy 200pc socket set(if a socket set can b called sexy?) in Halfords over the weekend, for ~€120. Looked good but I've no idea of the quality

I've got a Goodyear 108pc set I got on Amazon a few years ago for ~€30-40. It's been abused by several cheater bars, and hammers, and hasn't rounded a nut on me yet.

Advertisement