Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub-1000cc, shaft drive, non-Deauville commuter?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

thos wrote: »
    The reason for asking 'sub-1000cc' was more about size for commuting, given that a lot of shaft bikes are 1200cc-plus and I prefer adventure style bike for seating position and height reasons, means when I look at GS1200 or Explorer 1200s I dread the idea of trying to filter through town on them, as they tend to get wide and heavy.

Well, the AGS eventually found a replacement for the NT700's and have had to give up and go to chains as well. The choice was down to Tracer and BMW F-GS, and they've picked the GS - chain & all.

We have one at home - well, the SO does - and it's a great commuter, and 65mpg+ easily achievable. The chain does drive me nuts though. Light (179kg) and narrow, hard to beat.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Which F-GS did they end with up - 700?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Which F-GS did they end with up - 700?

F750GS same as the PSNI use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

galwaytt wrote: »
    Weight and fuel consumption would rule that out imho, certainly the latter.

Consumption wasnt a requirement mentioned by the op and while it is heavier than a 600 it's not a monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

galwaytt wrote: »
    Well, the AGS eventually found a replacement for the NT700's and have had to give up and go to chains as well. The choice was down to Tracer and BMW F-GS, and they've picked the GS - chain & all.

We have one at home - well, the SO does - and it's a great commuter, and 65mpg+ easily achievable. The chain does drive me nuts though. Light (179kg) and narrow, hard to beat.

Did ye try out the F800GT? I would have thought that would be a nice alternative without the chain. Although some people do prefer the seating position of the GS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

TBi wrote: »
    Did ye try out the F800GT? I would have thought that would be a nice alternative without the chain. Although some people do prefer the seating position of the GS.

that's exactly why AGS picked the GS- they didn't like the riding position of the GT. I've ridden both, and I have to say, the GS is better. A belt-driven 'street GS' would be perfect.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

It is strange that the GT got the belt, and the others in that range didn't.

I tried the GT and didn't like the seating much, and felt the screen/fairing wasn't up to much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tico1300

Ever thought about or drove a dragstar? Wouldn’t pull the skin of a sausage but comfy enough for a commute, I use it more than my busa these days (trying to save it for the sunny weather)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

My chain had 13k km on it (since bike was new), I'd done 6km of that, and it's just got enough lash now that it feels like a bit of hesitation / rough running, so needs replacing. I can't speak to the maintenance from new.

what does lash mean. that's very early for a chain to go

Advertisement