Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub-1000cc, shaft drive, non-Deauville commuter?

Options
  • 11-05-2018 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Is there any modern sub-1000cc shaft drive bikes, excluding the Honda Deauville?

Apparently my winter chain maintenance hasn't been good enough, and coupled with the usual day-dreaming of what bike to buy next, I was trying to find something that fits this criteria - but can't see anything obvious?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭blade1

How modern are you talking?
    What about a Yamaha Diversion 900?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

A shaftdrive still needs maintenance...give me a chain anyday..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

A shaftdrive still needs maintenance...give me a chain anyday..

Thats true, they need an oil change.
    It takes me 15 mins to drop the 150ml of oil out and replace it with fresh stuff.
    If you go by the Honda WSM its every three years but I like to do it once a season.
    I've always had chain driven bikes but shafties really are low maintenance.
    You could always go for a beltdrive like the BMW F800GT if you don't like chain maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Why the sub 1000cc restriction?

The BMW r1200 boxer series are all shaft drive, once maintained, they don't give trouble.

They're also much tamer than a 1000cc sportsbike engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ever heard of Scott oiler?

If no.

Get one. Done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭emo72

I have a zed 750 and got an old xj900f for laughs. I never drive the zed any more I love the Xj. There's a lot to be said for shafties. Chains is one thing I hate messing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

What are you doing to your chain?

I've never had an issue in winter, cover it in de 40 chain Wax and clean once a month and reapply. You don't even need to clean once a month

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭emo72

Goose81 wrote: »
    What are you doing to your chain?

I've never had an issue in winter, cover it in de 40 chain Wax and clean once a month and reapply. You don't even need to clean once a month

I'm lazy dude. I hate doing it. Don't hate me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

emo72 wrote: »
    I'm lazy dude. I hate doing it. Don't hate me.

I’m the same. Prefer not to have to worry about it. Cleaning a chain is a manky job.

Was considering a F800GT myself but worried it might lack poke coming down from my old R1200RT. The biggest issue I had on the F800 was the vibration over 120kph. It starts around 115 and steadily gets worse.

Some people mention it, some don’t. Not sure if they have a good bike or just don’t drive on motorways. The RT only vibrated (gently) at idle and added character more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

A neighbour of mine had something like an R850 RT and he showed me the amount of lash it had and that kind of put me off. I think they're meant to have some but I think I'd rather have the hassle of a chain than the potential expense of a wonky shaft but that's just me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I had a BMW R1100S, in over 50k the only issue with the shaft was a crown bearing crapped itself, can't remember the cost but considering the carefree kilometers I got before it went, it was worth it.

Then got a Vstrom DL650, with Scottoiler. The Scottoiler did save some work, but I had to replace the chain when some links got tight.

Then a Z1000, no Scottoiler so it broke my heart cleaning and lubing it during a winter. That too got tight links and required a new chain (and sprockets)

Back on a BMW and can't see myself going back to a chain unless its on a highly desirable bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What's normal mileage for a chain?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Lumen wrote: »
    What's normal mileage for a chain?

Lots of variables to consider but I suppose 15000 to 20000 miles would be the around the average I'd say.

I've heard people cleaning and waxing there chain every 2 weeks in winter and calling that proper maintenance, **** that. It gets a few sprays of wax during the winter and had no ill effects. They don't salt our roads like the uk so there should be no issues.

I've heard people cleaning and waxing there chain every 2 weeks in winter and calling that proper maintenance, **** that. It gets a few sprays of wax during the winter and had no ill effects. They don't salt our roads like the uk so there should be no issues.

They do now. That old adage doesn't count any longer

listermint wrote: »

You sure? I think it's just grit regardless we put it out when there is snow whereas in the UK they cover the roads in it all throughout winter.

Anyway I don't give a bollox about my chain I replace it when needed and I've only needed to replace 1 that had mega miles on it with basically 0 maintenance driving throughout winter. I certainly wouldn't be buying a bike because it doesn't have a chain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

100%, my chain had serious surface rust this winter, never happened before and cleaning routine didn't change. It's well lubed so am not worried about the cosmetics but you'd think it was fooked looking at it. Definitely more salt on the roads.

Anyway, I can't recommend a shaft driven bike but I've never been put off by chain maintenance. I would discourage you from limiting your bike choice based on this given it's the standard for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

What sort of budget do you have?

There's next to nothing new with a shaft sub 1000cc.

Why the limit on cc?

I have had a mix of both chain and shaft bikes. I commute 90kms a day. I currently have a deauville which is for sale. But I have had fjrs and xts with shaft. Nc750, Triumph Sprint 1050, Honda CG, xt660z all chains.

It's a personal thing. Usually driven by that old bollocks of whatever I got is the best thing in world.

But chains aren't for me.

zubair wrote: »
    it's the standard for a reason.

It's only 'standard' because it's the cheapest option and people buy because of price. Similar to how 'Manual' is standard in ireland these days.

Almost all expensive bikes (that aren't supersport) are shaft or belt driven because those owners will pay more for the convenience.

TBi wrote: »
    It's only 'standard' because it's the cheapest option and people buy because of price.

The savings are passed to the consumers though, when a shaft drive needs work it's more expensive than a new chain.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I can't help the OP.

• Advertisement

The savings are passed to the consumers though, when a shaft drive needs work it's more expensive than a new chain.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I can't help the OP.

2 Grand a friend was quoted for Shaft work on a GS last year....

that will buy you roughly 20 chains......

Or a new chain till you retire or the bike does :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You sure? I think it's just grit regardless we put it out when there is snow whereas in the UK they cover the roads in it all throughout winter.

Anyway I don't give a bollox about my chain I replace it when needed and I've only needed to replace 1 that had mega miles on it with basically 0 maintenance driving throughout winter. I certainly wouldn't be buying a bike because it doesn't have a chain

Oh yes, they do, and I have a set of cills on my Audi need doing after the winter just passed, just because of it. My H-D suffered as well, and I've had to send stuff off for coating because of it as well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

2 Grand a friend was quoted for Shaft work on a GS last year....

that will buy you roughly 20 chains......

Or a new chain till you retire or the bike does :P

100k + on Deauvilles on Blood Bike duty with no issues......

the issue you mention isn't a 'shaft' issue, it's a 'BMW' issue.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

galwaytt wrote: »

Yup, I've a Deauville with 90k miles on it, Shaft is pristine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Out of the thousands of Deauvilles being used over the years there is very few people talking about FD issues, same with FJR's and Pans.
    The only common issue with Deau's is the lack of Moly grease on the driven splines can cause fretting issues.
    Given proper care they last for nearly ever.
    I have heard of a number of Bavarian bikes having issues with the shaft drives.

galwaytt wrote: »

I see you inferred I said it was a shaft issue.

I didn't . So the thanks were unwarranted

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Thanks for the replies.

My chain had 13k km on it (since bike was new), I'd done 6km of that, and it's just got enough lash now that it feels like a bit of hesitation / rough running, so needs replacing. I can't speak to the maintenance from new.

Like above, through the winter the bike wasn't getting washed as much as it would during the summer, so it probably only got a full chain clean and oiling every ~6 weeks, but would get a couple of sprays of oil a few times during the week when it 'looked' a bit dry. I had a Tutoro oiler on last bike, but found it quite messy throwing oil over the back wheel, I might try a Scottoiler on current bike and see how it goes.

The reason for asking 'sub-1000cc' was more about size for commuting, given that a lot of shaft bikes are 1200cc-plus and I prefer adventure style bike for seating position and height reasons, means when I look at GS1200 or Explorer 1200s I dread the idea of trying to filter through town on them, as they tend to get wide and heavy.

VFR1200, no need to compromise on engine size.

thos wrote: »
    The reason for asking 'sub-1000cc' was more about size for commuting, given that a lot of shaft bikes are 1200cc-plus and I prefer adventure style bike for seating position and height reasons, means when I look at GS1200 or Explorer 1200s I dread the idea of trying to filter through town on them, as they tend to get wide and heavy.

I had a R1200RT and a CBF600 for a few months, commuting into Cork city on both. Amazingly i found the RT much better around town. It was heavier but the weight was down low and felt a whole load more stable. Especially slow filtering the RT was much better (except for the width). I was more likely to 'wobble' on the CBF if coming to an abrupt stop.

I wouldn't ignore the R1200GS, there is a reason it's so popular.

• Advertisement

VFR1200, no need to compromise on engine size.

Weight and fuel consumption would rule that out imho, certainly the latter.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement