Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GDPR and Boards.ie post removal policy **update linked in OP 24/5/18**

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ah in fairness for someone normally so level headed you've surprised me there a bit. I think it's a bit weird to remove Permabears access to feedback. We all know what the 100 post rules is there for. His access revocation is a bit derpy to say the least. Boards mods/admin have for years in the dispute/prison forum made a distinction regarding 'letter of/spirit of' rules.
    In this case the OP started the discussion, and had around 100 posts in the thread (around 10% of the total postcount), then chose to have all that content removed. Should we then provide the OP with the opportunity to make some (or indeed all) of those comments again? Perhaps this is as much the "spirit" being applied as it is the "letter". Of course when they have the requisite postcount they can again contribute, as would be the case with someone who has closed their account (with the additional 3 month requirement)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Perhaps the thanks should be removed from deleted posts. As mentioned by a previous poster it does look a bit silly. Not sure if possible or not

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think that from a technical point the post itself remains, it is the content that gets deleted and replaced with “this post has been deleted”. Do I think a user’s associated cards should be deleted, well no. But that’s just my opinion, I’m not sure on all aspects of what the deletion script does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Ah in fairness for someone normally so level headed you've surprised me there a bit. I think it's a bit weird to remove Permabears access to feedback. We all know what the 100 post rules is there for. His access revocation is a bit derpy to say the least. Boards mods/admin have for years in the dispute/prison forum made a distinction regarding 'letter of/spirit of' rules.

His account should have been closed.

the GDPR is clear on one thing - private identifying information like emails or ip addresses should be deleted on closed accounts, or on request. Therefore that should have been the response to this request - we can delete all posts but only with a deletion of the profile information. This closing the account.

Profile info is the identifying information that the GDPR is talking about. In general posts are so non identifying that people can now not delete posts from previous accounts.

So there’s two classes of posters. People who can stay here and reset their posts so as not to “identify the natural person”, and people with closed accounts who can’t delete the older posts in those accounts because the posts are not identifying enough.

Silliness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Forgotten and forgiven are two very different things, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

....... wrote: »

The cards are linked to the post. This is different to the contents of the post. The script deletes the contents, but leaves the post itself. Deleting the post entirely causes issues, take the case where deleting the first post in a thread causes the whole thread to disappear.

To your last question, I genuinely don’t know the legal position, but there could be an argument that cards were assigned by Boards as a condition of using the service and are therefore not subject to the GDPR. Purely my own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,265 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

So basically even when you delete all your posts, notification emails from said posts were sent to some users.

Makes sense to close account also. Otherwise you are potentially still identifiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    So basically even when you delete all your posts, notification emails from said posts were sent to some users.

Makes sense to close account also. Otherwise you are potentially still identifiable.

That’s for the user to decide. If they feel it is a problem they can stop using the account. If not they can keep posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,265 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Bob24 wrote: »
    That’s for the user to decide. If they feel it is a problem they can stop using the account. If not they can keep posting.

Obviously, under the current rules.

It was something I and probably many more didn't think off until it was mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Batzoo

Some more interesting points raised above to add to the confusion.

Some posters are talking about GDPR in a nonsensical way and are clearly missing the point in regards to an individuals right to what is considered their data. And again, regardless of GDPR, boards can delete any or all posts of any user without that users permission or the need to seek legal advice. Boards can ban users from posting in specific threads or without a minimum post count. This I feel is all irrelevant from GDPR.

When a data subject requests the removal of posts, its not just posts removed from view of other users. These posts have to be removed entirely from the database. They should not be recoverable. A subjects data does not just extend to these public posts. Private data contained in emails or PM's, even though only a limited number of people can view this, it is still considered personal data and should be deleted if requested by the data subject. This is not even a point of conjecture, it is clearly stated. And to clarify, emails relate to boards email servers, not indivdual private users emails.

So in relation to cards, any PM's or emails sent that exists in the Boards database or on Boards Employee computers should also be deleted.

I also pointed out before and if you seek legal advice it will confirm it, that any electronic discussion by boards admins or mods between themselves that mention a particular user, even though they considered it private and in house, this is also part of the subjects data now. When the subject requests their data, these private PM's and Emails are also required to be given to the data subject. Some Redaction can take place where a non involved subjects data may be compromised but redaction has to be specific and with valid reason. You cannot just redact 80% of a PM or things said that may now reflect badly on boards.

This will have some relation to the card situation as I am sure mods have discussed infractions in PM without the subjects awareness. If the card is associated with a user and a connection can be made to a thread. Information may be inferred from that thread as to the reason the user was carded. I have no clear interpretation of this on GDPR, but would definitely help me if I was profiling a particular user.

GDPR recognized that deletion from a current database although inconvenient is possible, and recommendations were made to database designers going forward to design future databases so that every users activity is encapsulated in their own mini database as such. Again this is not really practical or feasible in many setups.

Also acknowledged was the backup of databases that all these service providers will do regularly. It is not really feasible to go through numerous backups and delete every post, every time a subject requests. But care should be taking only to keep the required backups that are necessary and for no longer than necessary. These backups should be encrypted and the information contained should not be easily accessible should the backup be stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Batzoo wrote: »
    S

I also pointed out before and if you seek legal advice it will confirm it, that any electronic discussion by boards admins or mods between themselves that mention a particular user, even though they considered it private and in house, this is also part of the subjects data now. When the subject requests their data, these private PM's and Emails are also required to be given to the data subject. Some Redaction can take place where a non involved subjects data may be compromised but redaction has to be specific and with valid reason. You cannot just redact 80% of a PM or things said that may now reflect badly on boards.

So your telling me that if I was to post in a forum on boards the following.

"I seen a post the other day by a poster called Batzoo and he seems like a nice guy"

Are you telling me that because your name is there that that post is your data?.

Putinbot wrote: »
    So your telling me that if I was to post in a forum on boards the following.

"I seen a post the other day by a poster called Batzoo and he seems like a nice guy"

Are you telling me that because your name is there that that post is your data?.

Basically yes! Any information that pertains to me in the boards database is considered my data, that would include your post if it mentions me! As well as PM's and Emails between mods and admins that mention me or discuss the reasons for my infractions etc. I have a right to request to view that data and correct any wrong information it contains. I can also request to have my data removed from the database.

Although your post about me would be innocuous and may be considered a compliment, I may consider it factually incorrect as I may have a reputation of not being a nice guy to uphold.

Even if you PM another user about me, technically once my name is mentioned in your PM's and it is clearly about me, my request to view my data should include you PM's. At this point though, your name(unless you are an agent of boards) and the recipients name could and should be redacted so as to not compromise your GDPR privacy rights. This protection of your name and GDPR rights does not apply to Boards admins and mods as they are agents of boards. Any correspondence between boards agents cannot legally redact the agents name in this instance.

But essentially when you post on Boards, Boards assumes responsibility for that post regardless of their disclaimers and must once notified, act accordingly should that post be factually incorrect, slanderous, bigoted, inciting violence or advocating criminal activity etc. This is not even GDPR though, just a self policing etiquette to prevent the brand being brought in to disrepute or possible legal liabilities depending on nature of post. So technically even without GDPR boards should remove your posts about me if I request them to do so because I can prove them to be inaccurate. This could be a full on post removal or just a redaction of any identifiable information relating to me. But the easy option is a full on deletion.

I won't quote your post cause it's long but I've always been led to believe that unless reported pm's cannot be read by anyone except the sender and receiver.

Not even boards would know that your name would be in one of my pm's.

Also would it not be a breach of my rights to have my pm box raided.

Actually they would have to invade every person on boards's pm's to search for your name.

I won't quote your post cause it's long but I've always been led to believe that unless reported pm's cannot be read by anyone except the sender and receiver.

Actually they would have to invade every person on boards's pm's to search for your name.

To me there is a distinction depending on whether the PMs are from a boards representative* or a “random” user.

If they are correspondance of boards representatives they would be considered operatinal data held by boards about the user and subject to GDPR, while otherwise they wouldn’t and would simply be private correspondance of the account owner.

Same could be said about Google: clearly if you make a data subject access request to them they should disclose any internal employee emails containing information about you, but it doesn’t mean they should scan every single Gmail inbox in existence and look for emails referring to you from any Gmail user (which are not google employees).

* i.e. a boards employee, an admin, or a mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

What right do you think you have to have your PMs remain private, it certainly isn't a legal right.

As far as I'm aware, going by our GDPR briefs in work, any data containing details of a customer, in boards case a user, would need to be removed. For us it would be emails, tickets, billing, etc. This was the reason for my question regarding emails sent automatically to users who have subbed to a thread but as above, I'd love to know what the craic is with the mod forums, reported posts, PMs, etc. I doubt this info can be left as is.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    What right do you think you have to have your PMs remain private, it certainly isn't a legal right.

As far as I'm aware, going by our GDPR briefs in work, any data containing details of a customer, in boards case a user, would need to be removed. For us it would be emails, tickets, billing, etc. This was the reason for my question regarding emails sent automatically to users who have subbed to a thread but as above, I'd love to know what the craic is with the mod forums, reported posts, PMs, etc. I doubt this info can be left as is.

It has been stated a million times on boards by the office that someone's pm's are private and can't be read by others.

I've had a look at reported posts by permabear and the few I found say the same as the op of this thread.

Basically yes! Any information that pertains to me in the boards database is considered my data, that would include your post if it mentions me! As well as PM's and Emails between mods and admins that mention me or discuss the reasons for my infractions etc. I have a right to request to view that data and correct any wrong information it contains. I can also request to have my data removed from the database.

Although your post about me would be innocuous and may be considered a compliment, I may consider it factually incorrect as I may have a reputation of not being a nice guy to uphold.

This is the kind of rubbish that permeates this thread. You are posting under a pseudonym. The only way the pseudonym can identify you is if you make an identifying post. That individual post can be removed.

Boards has uniquely amongst forums devices that all pseudonymous posts are identifying, except for closed accounts - where they aren’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

It has been stated a million times on boards by the office that someone's pm's are private and can't be read by others.

I've had a look at reported posts by permabear and the few I found say the same as the op of this thread.

You hardly think someone will read every individual PM in everyone's inbox... If something was put in place it'll be a script that's run, the same as a script was run for posts to be replaced with "this post has been deleted".

It's also naive to think that PMs can't be read. I'm sure very few have access but lads in the office have access to the DB where they're stored so they can be read.

With regards to reported posts, I'm not talking about posts where the user requesting the delete was the op, what about where the requester was the one reported or, as I said above, discussed in the mod forum. My understanding is that this should also all be removed.

• Advertisement

That can’t be factually correct. At the very least a couple of DBAs and support engineers must have full access to the underlying database.

Maybe what you mean is that the UI of the website doesn’t allow for a user to access the mailbox of another user regardless of their status (admin or employee). But there are no doubt other technical possibilities for boards to see the content of the PMs.

Also whether someone else can read them or not, as a representative of boards who is handling user data, the simple fact that a mod/admin/employee can see the messages in their own outbox/inbox makes their content subject to GDPR as they become data handled by the organisation in the process of running its service.

That can’t be factually correct. At the very least a couple of DBAs and support engineers must have full access to the underlying database.

Maybe what you mean is that the UI of the website doesn’t allow for a user to access the mailbox of another user regardless of their status (admin or employee). But there are no doubt other technical possibilities for boards to see the content of the PMs.

Also whether someone else can read them or not, as a representative of boards who is handling user data, the simple fact that a mod/admin/employee can see the messages in their own outbox/inbox makes their content subject to GDPR.

Unless the reader of the pm can associate the user with an email it doesn’t matter.

Unless the reader of the pm can associate the user with an email it doesn’t matter.

If boards as an organisation can do it that’s definitly enough (which will be the case for any account which isn’t closed). Or if the content of the PM contains personally identifiable information.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If they are correspondance of boards representatives they would be considered operatinal data held by boards about the user and subject to GDPR...
    I don't recall seeing the phrase "operational data" anywhere in the GDPR. Can you point it out for me?

This is the kind of rubbish that permeates this thread. You are posting under a pseudonym. The only way the pseudonym can identify you is if you make an identifying post. That individual post can be removed.

Boards has uniquely amongst forums devices that all pseudonymous posts are identifying, except for closed accounts - where they aren’t.

I assure you its not rubbish! Yes we are mostly using pseudonyms. Your name means nothing to me, and mine means nothing to you. If I wanted I could take a bordsie's pseudonym and cross check it and do look ups etc and build a profile. This would be more successful with some users than others, so pseudonyms are identifiable. But this is not the GDPR component and slightly off topic.

Where GDPR is concerned is with the integrity of the databases and how securely kept and accurate the user information it contains is. Should the Boards database be compromised I am sure boards also have email addresses, IP's address's, log in times and a myriad of other data that is associated with the users pseudonym. This is all identifiable. It is not about what you or I can see in the public forum, it is about what is contained on the database. This should be secure and accurate. I can request to see this information and that would also include PM's and emails that relate to me as stated.

If boards as an organisation can do it that’s definitly enough (which will be the case for any account which isn’t closed). Or if the content of the PM contains personally identifiable information.

The second case yes, the first case no. Boards needs the email address to provide a service.

I assure you its not rubbish! Yes we are mostly using pseudonyms. Your name means nothing to me, and mine means nothing to you. If I wanted I could take a bordsie's pseudonym and cross check it and do look ups etc and build a profile. This would be more successful with some users than others, so pseudonyms are identifiable. But this is not the GDPR component and slightly off topic.

Where GDPR is concerned is with the integrity of the databases and how securely kept and accurate the user information it contains is. Should the Boards database be compromised I am sure boards also have email addresses, IP's address's, log in times and a myriad of other data that is associated with the users pseudonym. This is all identifiable. It is not about what you or I can see in the public forum, it is about what is contained on the database. This should be secure and accurate. I can request to see this information and that would also include PM's and emails that relate to me as stated.

All of that is admissible under GDPR if there is a business case for it, which there is while people are still account holders. On closing accounts the database information can be deleted.

You have no right to any pms that discuss your pseudonym unless those emails are personally identifiable for the “natural person”. And any such right is a FOI right which isn’t the same as the right to be forgotten.

Boards had gone overboard on its reaction to the GDPR - most forum software deletes the closed account, keeps the posts and obstufcates the username.

...You have no right to any pms that discuss your pseudonym unless those emails are personally identifiable for the “natural person”. And any such right is a FOI right which isn’t the same as the right to be forgotten.

You seem to be taking information in isolation! The boards database links your pseudonym to many identifiable pieces of information. And as such any reference to that pseudonym in the boards infrastructure, be it in pm or on a boards email server or even on boards agents(admins and mods computers) technically falls under this remit and you have a right to view it for accuracy under GDPR. You can then also request the removal of this information. The extent of this removal is open to interpretation and debate and will need some test cases to clarify the details.

Will boards admins or mods allow access to personal computers, probably not and a data subject would never really now how far the rabbit hole goes down as such. The data subject just has to take on trust when a request is made that all the information is returned to them. But if a boards agent (admin or mod) has that laptop say stolen or left on a train and personal information is released, again, this could be PM's or emails and it turns out that boards did not act fully in regards to a request, this is where the big fines will hit. Boards are now liable under GDPR for not properly securing personal information.

I honestly don't even think anything I posted in regards to this is contentious.

...Boards had gone overboard on its reaction to the GDPR - most forum software deletes the closed account, keeps the posts and obstufcates the username.

Also sorry for the double post but this point may be acceptable in some cases but not all, but I don't know for sure.

The issue I see here is that some posts could contain identifiable information regardless of the posters name being removed and account being deleted. This could take a lot of man hours to try and independently determine what is and is not personal information. Most forums, especially the size of boards cannot afford those man hours as such the easy option is just to delete with a script when requested.

Any reference in the database to the IP of the original poster or the time and date of the post can narrow a search significantly and lead to identifiable information. Obfuscating a name is not good enough, it has to be removed from the database. But also all logs relating to that user and IP's and times etc should also be removed unless there is a fundamental or legal requirement to retain them.

I should also point out though that most forums online are run by hobbyists who do not really care about any global turnover type fines. Many more forums are not European based and the ignorance and belief that non Europeans are not effected still persists on the other side of the Atlantic. In fact I would go as far to say that the majority of US based sites with a partial European user base are still unaware of the GDPR implications.

I will point out again, its not about the posts you and I can see in the public forum. It's not even about the post's that agents of boards can see that we cannot. It's about the information that can be extrapolated by a nefarious actor should the database be compromised or stolen. Ideally, this information should be stored in an encrypted manner so even if stolen it remains inaccessible.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I don't recall seeing the phrase "operational data" anywhere in the GDPR. Can you point it out for me?

Any data processed/stored by a representative of the organisation when they conduct their duty is covered by GDPR. That is what I meant by operational data: a PM by a representative of boards which refers to a user is like an internal company email. And my equivalent exemple related to Google is pretty straight forward I believe.

See internal emails clearly listed here on the IBEC guidelines: https://www.ibec.ie/IBEC/ES.nsf/vPages/GDPR~Ibec_guides_preparing_for_GDPR~how-employers-should-comply-with-gdpr/$file/Ibec+employers+guide+to+GDPR+2017.pdf

“The rights cover data related to identified or identifiable persons (e.g. customers or employees) held either electronically or physically – this includes physical files, emails, Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems, images or recordings of individuals.”

In fact and while virtually impossible to enforce, even a post-it note on the desk of a mod which refers to individual boards users could equally be covered by GDPR depending on what’s written on the note (for exemple a username with a list of previous infractions definitly would be).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement