Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disciplining Children AKA Back in my day they behaved.

Options
  • 10-05-2018 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭

Does not exist anymore really.

I think we need to bring back parental physical discipline of children. I don't mean beatings but "hidings" could be in. This is as nature intended to keep the sprogs in check.

We have moved away from that and the result is not good. Children with zero discipline, respect and no direction.

Only going to get worse.

Time to take control. The politically correct world is on it's last legs. People want common sense. This is part of restoring the balance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Its not needed. You just need parents that care for their kids needs as opposed to their wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I think we need to bring back parental physical discipline of children. I don't mean beatings but "hidings" could be in. This is as nature intended to keep the sprogs in check.

We have moved away from that and the result is not good. Children with zero discipline, respect and no direction.

Only going to get worse.

Time to take control. The politically correct world is on it's last legs. People want common sense. This is part of restoring the balance.

Do you mean " hiding" the kids somewhere , maybe in a dungeon or basement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Wouldn't like to be one of your sprogs frog

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

I remember trying to run across a street when I was a child. Nearly got flattened by a lorry apparently. I got a stinging slap on the hand for my troubles. I remembered that! (and the early night :pac: ).

Within strict moderation, I don't see a problem. Obviously it's very easily abused but I think it has its place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Spare the rod and spoil the child has long thought to be unture.

Physically correcting children can lead to violent and aggressive behavior as the child grows older. (among other issues)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,397 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I remember trying to run across a street when I was a killed. Nearly got flattened by a lorry apparently. I got a stinging slap on the hand for my troubles. I remembered that! (and the early night :pac: ).

Within strict moderation, I don't see a problem. Obviously it's very easily abused but I think it has its place.

Itsa you Mario?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Can you explain the difference between a 'beating' and a 'hiding'?
    The nuance is kinda lost on me.

Does one involve a fist and the other a belt or what is it?

I remember trying to run across a street when I was a killed. Nearly got flattened by a lorry apparently. I got a stinging slap on the hand for my troubles. I remembered that! (and the early night :pac: ).

So , are you alive now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

You got killed and still posting, neat trick

Teaching a child right from wrong seems to be a thing of the past. It's now all about their rights and perceived wrongs. And that someone else will do it, pay for it etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I would like to propose beatings of the parents

• Registered Users Posts: 23,397 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So , are you alive now ?

iczxLy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Funny that.
    I say something you don't agree with in another thread, and you comment a snide and unnecessary remark about intellectual abilities.

Then you post here wondering where respect has gone...

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

pjohnson wrote: »
    Itsa you Mario?
    So , are you alive now ?

No I'm a ghost.

whooo

:D
    :o

We live in an "all or nothing" society now. Moderation of anything isn't particularly popular anymore. Instead, far better to ban it completely, and replace it with nothing.

I would understand the change better if prospective parents were given classes on Child/teen psychology and other ways to discipline children... but... that's not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭Odhinn

begbysback wrote: »
    Wouldn't like to be one of your sprogs frog

He eats the most of them, so they say.

Physically correcting children can lead to violent and aggressive behavior as the child grows older. (among other issues)

The opposite of that can be true too though.

I'm not advocating physical punishment but this blind belief that it was wrong in all situations is too PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Are parents actually banned from slapping children now? I know it's not allowed in schools, but is it outright banned everywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I am watching episodes of the "World's Strictest Parents" on youtube. It is an accredited reality TV series. The attitudes and behaviour of the teenagers..i contrast with the children in the host families...

No I do not advocate hitting but NO means NO.

Are parents actually banned from slapping children now? I know it's not allowed in schools, but is it outright banned everywhere?

Parents can be charged with assault for slapping or hitting their children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Graces7 wrote: »
    I am watching episodes of the "World's Strictest Parents" on youtube. It is an accredited reality TV series. The attitudes and behaviour of the teenagers..i contrast with the children in the host families...

No I do not advocate hitting but NO means NO.

No to what?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No to what?

Rugs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Once we're allowed to cattle prod gangs of unruly teenagers, then I don't mind.

fatknacker wrote: »

Oh, you can. Off you go!

The news will be far more interesting tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,257 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Only going to get worse.

RIP Communication

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Only going to get worse.

RIP Communication

Only going to get worse.

RIP Communication

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

^^^ Communication breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We have moved away from that and the result is not good. Children with zero discipline, respect and no direction
    This complaint has existed since time immemorial. "Children these days aren't being raised right. They're loud and unruly and don't listen to their parents".

Literally any human being in the last 100,000 years could have said that sentence.

My personal experience, having children and therefore having to be around a lot of other people's children is that most people are doing pretty well. There are of course a couple of outliers - a few parents who would rather sit in the corner and look at their phone than correct their kids, and a few kids who are sh1theads. But for the most part most kids are nice kids, they're respectful and careful and just want to play games.

• Advertisement

fatknacker wrote: »

That's a really backward mindset , to suggest using a cattle prod on teens.

We've moved forward now and should be using tazers.

Advertisement