Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are we Irish so reluctant to support other Irish Youtubers?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

ameirecan wrote: »
    My mates enjoy all the content from Youtube heavyweights like Casey Neistat and Reviewbrah. They even watch the daily news uploads by Philip DeFranco and are therefore well versed in American current affairs but have no time for Irish discussion channels like ComputingForever run by Dave Cullen. Even then, most of Dave's subscribers are from outside Ireland. I hate to use the word but is it a case of classic Irish begrudgery or is their content just crap?

Related to this is why are there so few Irish Youtubers in the first place? I have heard the argument before that Ireland is too small and people would be embarrassed to show their face on Youtube or shamed for having notions. "People will recognise me in the street therefore I won't bother. What would the neighbours think".

So what other Irish youtubers are suffering from begrudgery outside of the one 'example' given?

Also, I would reframe the question so that instead of "why are there so few Irish youtubers?" It's "why are there so many youtubers?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Pegmatite

well versed in American current affairs but have no time for Irish discussion channels like ComputingForever run by Dave Cullen. Even then, most of Dave's subscribers are from outside Ireland. I hate to use the word but is it a case of classic Irish begrudgery or is their content just crap?

His content is crap.
    And who is it aimed at. I've watched a couple of his videos. I imagine he believes he is having a heavy weight political discussion. But all he seems to do is talk about the scary left, beta men and talk to crack pots like Justin Barret who have no political currency.

What is it supposed to be? He just seems to pander to the sort of people who watch Alex Jones, believe that Pizzagate is a real thing and that they are the only people who really now what is going on.

Question anything they say or ask them to provide citations and they will claim you are shouting them down. Or that they are just asking questions, whats wrong with asking a question? Do you think people shouldnt be able to answer questions.

It's not a political discussion and has very little relevance to anyone in Ireland or anyone in the real world.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm claiming two exemptions to the question posed in the thread title:
    1. I don't "support" any YouTubers, Irish or otherwise; and
    2. I'm not Irish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

I only use Youtube to listen to mid 90's / early 2000's dance music, am I doing it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah, apparently you should be listening to mid 90's / early 2000's Youth Defence rejects ****ting on about how Hitler was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I have no idea who any of ye are on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Herpes Free Since03

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I have no idea who any of ye are on about.

I think most people wouldn't.... YouTube is a platform for music and tutorial vids for most people.... if people like to follow certain YouTubers, then great, but it's not for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I've watched a couple of Computing Forever videos but it's hard to take him seriously. Does he really care that much about American politics and political correctness to make 10 or 15 minute long videos every week? Why doesn't he have more of an opinion on Irish news? Apart from that he goes off on wild tangents. He takes an example of political correctness from the news and then goes off on a rant about what will happen next and how this will all lead to the world being taken over by communism or something. He'll start off talking about unisex toilets and by the end of the video he's telling you we're living in Nazi Germany or communist Russia. I like the occasional angry rant. Some of them can be so over the top they're funny but he's no Paul Joseph Watson.

And if you mean financial support on Patreon or something there's absolutely no way I'd give anyone on YouTube money.

There are computer or tech channels like 8 Bit Guy or Lazy Game Reviews which are entertaining, but the amount of money and presents they get is unreal. They have unboxing videos where they open parcels viewers have sent in. People send them stuff like old computers that they could probably get a three figure sum for if they put them on eBay. And they have Patreon accounts too so they make more money from them. I seriously don't get this thing of giving stuff to people on the internet. And the two channels I mentioned are ones I somewhat like. The idea of giving money to someone for rambling about Trump for 15 minutes is ludicrous. I might as well ask someone on After Hours if they want me to send them money through Paypal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Isn't the only Irish youtuber that could be considered a "heavyweight" that Jack Septic Eye gamer fella? I'm not a fan myself but he's estimated to be earning well north of a million a year off it for a few years now and I think I saw he is in the 20-30 most popular channels with north of 9 billion views on youtube so fair play to him all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I think the OPs preposition is polarizing.
    I subscribe to very little on YT.
    I wouldn't subscribe to a channel just because its Irish. Just because I don't subscribe to a channel doesn't mean its crap, it means its not good enough for me personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Jackscepticeye is the only big Irish youtuber I can think of. Fair play to him for doing well but it's not my thing. Have heard about computingforever but that's only because he was spamming reddit awhile back. He was acting very weird so that put me off him completely if the conspiracy theories didn't already. There was something wrong with that boy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The Epic News Guys were pretty good but just too slow with new content. I still watch their tallafornia vids every few months, and the traveller call out ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The only youtube channel I watch is Foil Arms and Hog and look forward to new videos ever Thursday. Funny lads

Other than that I just watch random ****e. Spent 2 hours watching videos of Lava burning things last night.

I subscribe to Real Engineering, its one of my favorite channels. Its tremendous.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR1IuLEqb6UEA_zQ81kwXfg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    The only youtube channel I watch is Foil Arms and Hog and look forward to new videos ever Thursday. Funny lads

Other than that I just watch random ****e. Spent 2 hours watching videos of Lava burning things last night.
    seen some of that. 'lava destroys a coke can!!!'...
    very anti-climatic,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It's all about the hydraulic press, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's all about the hydraulic press, lads.

Red Hot Nickel Ball.
    I love me some Red Hot Nickel Ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They even watch the daily news uploads by Philip DeFranco and are therefore well versed in American current affairs but have no time for Irish discussion channels like ComputingForever run by Dave Cullen. Even then, most of Dave's subscribers are from outside Ireland.
    So, youtubers who comment on American policy are not watched by people in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

ask Bono

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My mates enjoy all the content from Youtube heavyweights like Casey Neistat and Reviewbrah.

The only Irish heavyweight I'd recommend is my own +100kg Judo competitions and training :D

All joking aside it really depends on what takes your fancy, none of the stuff you've posted means a jot to me.

I'd follow mostly fitness & nutrition, highly recommended is recently site banned boards member James Hanley. He was brilliant in the Health and Fitness forum, but got a site ban so now I follow him on Youtube.

Other than fitness and martial arts most other stuff is covered better by other people in other countries.

Almost forgot. I'm a biker so I follow some biking channels but I've only found one Irish one. The guy is a member of boards.ie (so he's Irish) but the content isn't great, but I follow him because he's both Irish and a biker.

I've looked at a few other members channels, but they're mostly gaming stuff. Way too geeky & 'hiding away from life in mothers basement stuff for me.

Edz87 wrote: »
    I subscribe to Real Engineering, its one of my favorite channels. Its tremendous.

Was just going to mention that one. The guy is very easy to listen to and understand. One of my favourites.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Super Eyepatch Wolf and Bsod Gaming are good.

Oh and David Dockery:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Edz87 wrote: »

+1. I drop in on Ave, a Canadian bloke who hangs out in his workshop taking stuff apart and explaining engineering stuff. I watch a couple of car channels; Jay Leno, Project Binky, Mightcarmods, that sorta thing. There's an Irish guy who sticks Tesla engines in older luxury Beemers that's interesting. Usually I just graze around, bouncing from one subject to another. Even in things I'm quite interested in I rarely find decent content and/or info I didn't already know. For the hell of it I'll browse subjects I know little or nothing about to pick up new info. Stuff like unboxing vids I just don't get. Maybe it's cos I'm old.
    I've watched a couple of Computing Forever videos but it's hard to take him seriously. D
    It's his silly mid Atlantic accent that does my head in. I know it's more and more common in some Irish quarters these days, but I just think tacky old style disco DJ and it's up there with nails down a blackboard for me. Just looked him up and within a minute he was going on about being on "vacation". No doubt he has a "mom" and enjoys shopping in "stores". Fuck off. As for his politics. Hey I like a good rant well delivered, but unoriginal reheated leftovers from Americans spouting the same stuff is hardly worth watching. May as well go to the source if that's your thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

They are regularly on the worldwide trending page with tens of millions of views. But if you don't watch Youtube then it's understandable.

Must where all the cool kids hang out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

https://youtu.be/Gs4O2R7Z55o?t=14

18.8M Subscribers ... I really do fear for the next generation, what kind of lobotomized monkey would find this funny ???

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

TomSweeney wrote: »

18.8M Subscribers ... I really do fear for the next generation, what kind of lobotomized monkey would find this funny ???

The Mrs Browns Boys of the gaming world by the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

Like Wibbs I’m a big fan of AvE. Great channel for garage tool reviews and random engineering madness.
    Other similar channels like Engineering Explained, Techmoan, Mighty Car Mods, Harry's Garage, Mustie1

Fitness stuff like Juggernaut Training, Athlean-X and Dominic Munnelly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

TomSweeney wrote: »

Super sound lad, fair play to him he found a niche that's made him a millionaire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Here's a Computing Forever video about a shoe ad. While I agree the ad is ridiculous I can't understand why an Irish man is enraged enough about a Danish advertisement about womens shoes to make a 13 minute video about it.

The original ad is a little over a minute and a half long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

I hate the fact that a "youtuber" is an actual thing....