Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are we Irish so reluctant to support other Irish Youtubers?

Options
  • 08-05-2018 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

My mates enjoy all the content from Youtube heavyweights like Casey Neistat and Reviewbrah. They even watch the daily news uploads by Philip DeFranco and are therefore well versed in American current affairs but have no time for Irish discussion channels like ComputingForever run by Dave Cullen. Even then, most of Dave's subscribers are from outside Ireland. I hate to use the word but is it a case of classic Irish begrudgery or is their content just crap?

Related to this is why are there so few Irish Youtubers in the first place? I have heard the argument before that Ireland is too small and people would be embarrassed to show their face on Youtube or shamed for having notions. "People will recognise me in the street therefore I won't bother. What would the neighbours think".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I've just not seen any decent content tbh. Well apart from that riding hippos thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Never heard of those heavyweights.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ameirecan

kneemos wrote: »
    Never heard of those heavyweights.

They are regularly on the worldwide trending page with tens of millions of views. But if you don't watch Youtube then it's understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

ameirecan wrote: »
    My mates enjoy all the content from Youtube heavyweights like Casey Neistat and Reviewbrah. They even watch the daily news uploads by Philip DeFranco and are therefore well versed in American current affairs but have no time for Irish discussion channels like ComputingForever run by Dave Cullen. Even then, most of Dave's subscribers are from outside Ireland. I hate to use the word but is it a case of classic Irish begrudgery or is their content just crap?

Related to this is why are there so few Irish Youtubers in the first place? I have heard the argument before that Ireland is too small and people would be embarrassed to show their face on Youtube or shamed for having notions. "People will recognise me in the street therefore I won't bother. What would the neighbours think".

Say how ya really feel Dave!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I dont support any youtubers

• Advertisement

They are regularly on the worldwide trending page with tens of millions of views. But if you don't watch Youtube then it's understandable.

Calling bull**** there. Yer Computing forever man doesn't seem to be doing very much on computing and his avatar thing has annoyed me from the 2 minutes I watched his videos. He's less than 300K subs and is looking at 71K views on a 2 week old video.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Let them get real jobs.

What age are you that you follow you tubers? Serious question.

Viper Higgins is the only fella I watch regularly. Cos he's class man.

I do watch Youtube. Regularly browse random channels and have never come across them.

Had a look at reviewbrah and I can see exactly why people don't support him.
    Casey Neistat got tiresome after twenty seconds as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,689 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

His content is just crap.

There are plenty of good quality Irish channels and Irish people on YouTube, one of them has over 18 million subscribers -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacksepticeye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Surely if they're any good, thanks to the miracle of the internet it doesn't really matter where they're from? There's no particular reason why Irish people should watch those guys simply because they're also Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Because they are all trying to shill their personal training/make up artist course

Obviously millions of subs isn't an indication of quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 hansgruber at gmail.com

I'd be more inclined to follow people who specialize in an area and have knowledge or talent in that area.

Had a browse at Computing Forever. Videos on the following:
    Germany's Bleak Future
    How is this a thing? - With a picture of Kanye West
    Our Single Point of Failure.
    WTF is Youtube doing?
    HP Envy Destroy's Macbook Pro.

This fella seems to think people actually want to watch videos on one man's ramblings on pretty much anything. That's not what I want from a Youtube channel.

As I said, I prefer channels that focus on a particular topic e.g. weightlifting and covers it in an engaging, entertaining and informative way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭AllForIt

One is hardly going to watch content just because the producer is Irish - you tube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Computing forever is a great channel, jacksepticeye is shyte

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Clisare and the Viper from the Hardy Bucks are the only two that I've really ever seen produce decent stuff.

Oh and the Epic News lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I found a great irish channel for a game I play. I even shared it in the gaming forum. There are some good Irish you tubers out there.

However very few make content I'd watch.

And that Dave Cullen seems like he's incredibly annoying.

Clisare and the Viper from the Hardy Bucks are the only two that I've really ever seen produce decent stuff.

Can you expand on why you enjoy Clisare's content? I understand that taste's are subjective but she really, really likes to go for the twee paddywhackery ****e with a big Irish flag in the thumbnail and an exaggerated accent. Besides that all I see are makeup tutorials. I hope you're not a lad watching that?

Can you expand on why you enjoy Clisare's content? I understand that taste's are subjective but she really, really likes to go for the twee paddywhackery ****e with a big Irish flag in the thumbnail and an exaggerated accent. Besides that all I see are makeup tutorials. I hope you're not a lad watching that?

Nah.

• Advertisement

I'd be more inclined to follow people who specialize in an area and have knowledge or talent in that area.

Had a browse at Computing Forever. Videos on the following:
    Germany's Bleak Future
    How is this a thing? - With a picture of Kanye West
    Our Single Point of Failure.
    WTF is Youtube doing?
    HP Envy Destroy's Macbook Pro.

This fella seems to think people actually want to watch videos on one man's ramblings on pretty much anything. That's not what I want from a Youtube channel.

As I said, I prefer channels that focus on a particular topic e.g. weightlifting and covers it in an engaging, entertaining and informative way.

He had an interview with Justin Barrett there. Just watched a few minutes. He waffled about how evolutionary theory affects the left and they are killing themsekves because they are anti competition.

The op is either alt right or is Dave Cullen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

That's because most of it is drivel. Even Neistat has largely lost his way.

The only Irish one I watch occasionally is Bob Flavin. That's just a car review from an Irish perspective.

Grayson wrote: »
    He had an interview with Justin Barrett there.

Ah jaysus, is that lunatic still about? Last I heard he was failing to get his deposit back for European elections and giving talks to German Nazi meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

My mates enjoy all the content from Youtube heavyweights like Casey Neistat and Reviewbrah. They even watch the daily news uploads by Philip DeFranco .....".

What on earth are you talking about ?

( the only youtube channel that I know of is run by a cat called Jacob )

Grayson wrote: »
    The op is either alt right or is Dave Cullen.

OH NO! Not the ALT-RIGHT!!

It's funny how this alt-right paranoia is beginning to resemble McCarthy's Communist witch hunts. Don't forget to check under the bed tonight before you go to sleep.

It's funny how this alt-right paranoia is beginning to resemble McCarthy's Communist witch hunts. Don't forget to check under the bed tonight before you go to sleep.

...And in the youtube vein unsubbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Debtocracy

Cause they're shiiiite Kathleen!

Ah jaysus, is that lunatic still about? Last I heard he was failing to get his deposit back for European elections and giving talks to German Nazi meetings.

Look up his interview with Jim jeffries from a few weeks ago. It's hilarious.

That's a very rational response. See you on your next rereg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

That computing forever chap sounds like an absolute dipstick. Does he really have 1,400 videos of that scutter? I lasted two minutes before I broke my phone screen trying to stop that smug, nasal drone from melting my ears.

Advertisement