Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Two +1 under consideration

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Presumably, RTÉ knows that axing News Now would be political suicide because it would undermine its own mission as the main national PSB.

No it's the fact that RTÉ haven't learnt that it takes at least 3 years to get a minister to make a decision. It's unlikely that the current minister will make this decision even if he lasts a full term. They do not care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭political analyst

RTÉ2+1 was an absurd idea. At least News Now has an overnight simulcast of Euronews so that those viewers who don't have satellite dishes, cable or terrestrial overspill from the UK still have access to rolling news on terrestrial TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Why are Saorview not trying to get other channels to broadcast on their medium instead of the same crap being repeated
    I know the cost is exorbitant but is this just a case of RTE trying to control what is available in Ireland on terrestrial TV in the mistaken belief that people may find out there are far better channels out there?
    I haven't kept up with the whole Saorview thingy but why is RTE even in control of it??? In the UK (Freeview) it's run by the all the main stations

• Registered Users Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭lertsnim

fritzelly wrote: »
    I know the cost is exorbitant but is this just a case of RTE trying to control what is available in Ireland on terrestrial TV in the mistaken belief that people may find out there are far better channels out there?
    I haven't kept up with the whole Saorview thingy but why is RTE even in control of it???

With regards to foreign channels joining you have answered your own question. It is very expensive. The more channels that join the cheaper it would be for all. But the problem is getting one to start to get the ball rolling. There are plenty of UK channels with Irish advertising who I am sure would love to be there.

RTÉ are well aware of people watching UK channels. Saorview Connect boxes even have a satellite input for FTA channels from the UK.

Why do RTÉ control it? They paid for it. You had no chance of TV3 or TG4 stumping up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Why are Saorview not trying to get other channels to broadcast on their medium instead of the same crap being repeated

The BAI have statutory responsibility for the awarding of contracts for spare capacity on Saorview. They sought expressions of interest previously but that came to nought.

Just another expense for channels that are already available across other platforms.
    I haven't kept up with the whole Saorview thingy but why is RTE even in control of it??? In the UK (Freeview) it's run by the all the main stations

Last man standing so to speak, the Broadcasting Act allocates 1 multiplex to RTÉ with the others awarded to a commercial contractor by the BAI but remember back to 2008-2010 all commercial bidders withdrew leaving RTÉ with the cost of rolling out the network at its own expense. The commercial multiplex contractor was to be the "digital champion" responsible for rolling out, promotion and content on the new DTT platform, out of the ruins came Saorview.
    Work undertaken by the BAI on DTT to-date revealed that market conditions would not support the launch of commercial DTT services. This work involved a number of independent reviews of the marketplace and the Mediatique research report of December 2017 supports these views.

In this context, the BAI commits to its current approach to DTT, that of commissioning an independent review approximately every three years to ascertain the capacity of the market place, including the identification of potential applicants.

Source: BAI (April2018)

• Advertisement
Advertisement