Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Two +1 under consideration

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

icdg wrote: »
    Story from today’s Irish Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/rté-plans-plus-one-channel-for-rté2-1.3485996?mode=amp

Conventional wisdom was that the rights for a +1 of RTE Two would be harder to clear than RTE One, but a welcome development if it comes to pass.

Great! Now you’ll just have to wait an hour to watch a repeat of a repeat.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There’s one repeat in tonight’s entire evening schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

There’s one repeat in tonight’s entire evening schedule.

In fairness, it’s not a regular viewing night as it’s a BH Monday. Normally there are a lot of repeats on - or shows that have recently or long since been shown on other free to air channels.

Story from today’s Irish Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/rté-plans-plus-one-channel-for-rté2-1.3485996?mode=amp

Conventional wisdom was that the rights for a +1 of RTE Two would be harder to clear than RTE One, but a welcome development if it comes to pass.

If it goes ahead it would want to be 24/7 and hopefully not like the current RTE 1+1 which finishes off at around 1am every morning. Originally that was due to sharing a mux but now is no longer the case I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

If RTE 2+1 goes ahead, it,s not worth having, if it's not in HD. Otherwise go back to the original proposal that RTE had for RTE 3 HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭stephend2000

The fact that RTÉ One +1 isn’t 24/7 is pathetic and Two +1 shouldn’t even be considered without upgrading One +1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Agree. +1 channels need to be 24 hours and free from blackouts (not available on +1 blah blah).

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

lgs 4 wrote: »
    If RTE 2+1 goes ahead, it,s not worth having, if it's not in HD. Otherwise go back to the original proposal that RTE had for RTE 3 HD.

I can’t think of any +1 channels in HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Doesn't RTE + 1 stop at about 1am? what's the point

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

sonofenoch wrote:
    Doesn't RTE + 1 stop at about 1am? what's the point

I notice at weekend's it's on air till 6am now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Meanwhile the Virgin channels continue in ****-o-vision. That's what the regulator needs to deal with first not a +1 channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Not a fan of +1 channels at all. Get ads on RTE News Now and improve it or even a joint news channel with tv3. Time for radical thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So a company that is crying out for more money is spending money on a +1 channel for a few thousand extra viewers - still got more money than sense they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Channel 4+1 HD is the only one I think, and that is only available on DTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

I like the idea of a joint news channel.
    Drop the RTE name and have it "News Now".
    Tonight with Ivan Yates and Matt Cooper, Pat kenny and the news from TV3 in addition to the RTE news and current affairs shows.
    Agreed that RTE2+1 would be a total waste of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

In my opinion RTÉ would be wiser to forget about RTÉ2 +1, consider scrapping RTÉ 1 +1 and introducing RTÉ 3 HD instead. They already have rights for a lot of programs that get shown at really weird hours. Moving these to prime time would attract many more viewers than a +1 channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

ShaneOC wrote: »
    In my opinion RTÉ would be wiser to forget about RTÉ2 +1, consider scrapping RTÉ 1 +1 and introducing RTÉ 3 HD instead. They already have rights for a lot of programs that get shown at really weird hours. Moving these to prime time would attract many more viewers than a +1 channel.

They are dropping RTÉ News Now, I'd say RTÉ ONE +1 will go out for 24 hours while RTÉ2 +1 will replace RTÉ News Now. RTÉ are being ultra secretive about the move IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭political analyst

Elmo wrote: »
    They are dropping RTÉ News Now, I'd say RTÉ ONE +1 will go out for 24 hours while RTÉ2 +1 will replace RTÉ News Now. RTÉ are being ultra secretive about the move IMO.

Wouldn't that need ministerial approval? Why won't RTÉ make Euronews available 24/7 instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Why would they do that? The audience for that which is not also using SKY/Virgin/Freesat/Generic Sat box must be countable on two hands.

Why would they do that? The audience for that which is not also using SKY/Virgin/Freesat/Generic Sat box must be countable on two hands.

It wouldn't cost much. Surely, it would be better to make Euronews available 24/7 on Saorview than have another timeshift channel.

For example, if News Now had already been axed, terrestrial viewers in the Republic wouldn't be able to watch Trump's announcement on the Iran nuclear deal.

• Advertisement

It wouldn't cost much. Surely, it would be better to make Euronews available 24/7 on Saorview than have another timeshift channel.

For example, if News Now had already been axed, terrestrial viewers in the Republic wouldn't be able to watch Trump's announcement on the Iran nuclear deal.

It was on be3.

RTÉ 2+1 needs approval from minister.

It was on be3.

But so would the axing of News Now, right?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You know what would be nicer that being able to watch repeats of repeats that you could have set to record if you had much of any intention of watching them other than when just flicking through the channels? Putting Irish taxpayers money to good use by actually funding the Irish TV and film industry by... OK wait for it because this idea is going to sound f***ing crazy... but by making more of our own domestic shows rather than just flushing it right out of the country to foreign distributors of British soaps and American sitcoms that to begin with are available both on other channels and these days typically online also.

But so would the axing of News Now, right?!

Yes it's one big proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Great! Now you’ll just have to wait an hour to watch a repeat of a repeat.....

And from 19.00 hours only too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Delta2113

It was on be3.

On be3 purely because of the timing only.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    On be3 purely because of the timing only.

TBH I was surprised as I was sure that news was prerecorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Channel 4 +1 HD is available in the UK on Freeview channel 109

Just as a side note, found out that no proposal has gone to the minister. So the idea that RTÉ NEWS NOW is going and the RTÉ2 +1 is taking its place won't be happening soon. Department is slow, BAI are slow and RTÉ haven't even set the train in motion. How long did it take for the to get approval for OTV on Saorview?

• Advertisement

Just as a side note, found out that no proposal has gone to the minister. So the idea that RTÉ NEWS NOW is going and the RTÉ2 +1 is taking its place won't be happening soon. Department is slow, BAI are slow and RTÉ haven't even set the train in motion. How long did it take for the to get approval for OTV on Saorview?

Presumably, RTÉ knows that axing News Now would be political suicide because it would undermine its own mission as the main national PSB.

Advertisement