Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I bet you can't point out any 'fake news' specifically on RTE.
    Are we agreed 'fake news' is purposefully broadcasting lies or faked content?

As I mentioned in the 15th post on this thread, RTE have been caught altering the sequence in which clips are played relative to how those clips were recorded chronologically speaking.
    IE: who threw the first punch

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106906190&postcount=15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

As I mentioned in the 15th post on this thread, RTE have been caught altering the sequence in which clips are played relative to how those clips were recorded chronologically speaking.

I am no fan of RTE and all media show a bias but no credible mainstream outlet knowingly tells complete lies. They might be wrong and retract but if they were spinning falsehoods on purpose that would be different.

RTE is an amateur outlet. They are like the owners son. Incompetence and not being fully skilled is overlooked because daddy, (the tax payer) will cover their arse any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I am no fan of RTE and all media show a bias but no credible mainstream outlet knowingly tells complete lies. They might be wrong and retract but if they were spinning falsehoods on purpose that would be different.

RTE is an amateur outlet. They are like the owners son. Incompetence and not being fully skilled is overlooked because daddy, (the tax payer) will cover their arse any way.

Yep... I mean, the station that produces 'Pulling with my parents' and promotes it as prime time programming... deserves to go broke.

There was a time when shows like PwmP would be filler-just some trash program to fill a half hour...at like 'the witching hour' or Midnight for the layperson, now they're just tossed into the schedule at prime nights on TV.
    Probably when people are still dealing with hangovers.
    They're cheap to make-but RTE will hail them as 'Irish made' and 'jobs created'.

They don't even release their viewership numbers anymore-they're probably pitiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yep... I mean, the station that produces 'Pulling with my parents' and promotes it as prime time programming... deserves to go broke.

There was a time when shows like PwmP would be filler-just some trash program to fill a half hour...at like 'the witching hour' or Midnight for the layperson, now they're just tossed into the schedule at prime nights on TV.
    Probably when people are still dealing with hangovers.
    They're cheap to make-but RTE will hail them as 'Irish made' and 'jobs created'.

They don't even release their viewership numbers anymore-they're probably pitiful.

That is more of a reflection on what audiences wants TBF.

ITV are making a profit with that sort of shíte, BBC show their fair share of it.

Bunch of Z list celebrities in a jungle, simpletons on an island, "famous people" cooking is where the money is unfortunately.

Googlebox, a bunch people watching a bunch of people watching television.

That's the game at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

What are you on about ? Spit it out please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Boggles wrote: »

ITV are making a profit with that sort of shíte, BBC show their fair share of it.

Bunch of Z list celebrities in a jungle, simpletons on an island, "famous people" cooking is where the money is unfortunately.

Couldn't agree more. Although, if you ignore the people watching the programmes Gogglebox is a good summary of the week's TV. It can be handy to use to decide what to stream next.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

McGaggs wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. Although, if you ignore the people watching the programmes Gogglebox is a good summary of the week's TV. It can be handy to use to decide what to stream next.

Maybe the UK version the Irish version they struggle to talk about any TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Do they though? I mean, really? It's on RTE 2, the channel that repeats Fr Ted, The Rotunda, and many other repeats.
    If they want shows like 'pulling with my parents' they'll tune in to any other one but an Irish one.
    Love Island is popular-because it's hot climates, hot weather, and hot people (bland, but good looking).

The IRish equivalent is bland, cookie cutter people, one of whom is using the show to launch a podcast. (TV now interviewed two of the people on the show).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Oh look, Marty is on RTE 1 again this time with Bernard O'Shea. Low and behold, they're away in New York.

Gas men in fairness.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Oh look, Marty is on RTE 1 again this time with Bernard O'Shea. Low and behold, they're away in New York.

Gas men in fairness.

'Tis a repeat Ted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,267 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Elmo wrote: »
    'Tis a repeat Ted.

What I can't understand is whoy RTE bankroll US first run shows and put them on the graveyard shift yet put repeats at prime time, completely burning cash on Donnybrook lawns.

Do they though? I mean, really? It's on RTE 2, the channel that repeats Fr Ted, The Rotunda, and many other repeats.
    If they want shows like 'pulling with my parents' they'll tune in to any other one but an Irish one.
    Love Island is popular-because it's hot climates, hot weather, and hot people (bland, but good looking).

The IRish equivalent is bland, cookie cutter people, one of whom is using the show to launch a podcast. (TV now interviewed two of the people on the show).

It doesn't really matter what channel it is on. If it attracts an audience it has done it's job.

TV unfortunately is polluted with all these types of silly shows, they don't do it to píss me or you off, they do it because it's what a certain audience like.

But like I keep saying 95% of all media is terrible, the 5% is down to personal taste.

It doesn't really matter what channel it is on. If it attracts an audience it has done it's job.

TV unfortunately is polluted with all these types of silly shows, they don't do it to píss me or you off, they do it because it's what a certain audience like.

But like I keep saying 95% of all media is terrible, the 5% is down to personal taste.

The problem is that RTÉ2 has no real focus. It's schedule is all over the place, these shows sit in the middle of little else, RTÉ have a fascination with dating and weddings on RTÉ2.

RTÉ2 has a 6 - 7% share of the audience when it has sports, its highest rated programming, when it doesn't have sport it can have adudiences between 4 and 5%, these rating would be alright if in some way RTÉ2 provided a public service but much like it sister radio station 2fm it is filled with fluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Expect to see another couple of nonsense headline stories over coming weeks, to take the UK populations mind off Brexit.

The fact that this is front page news on a lot of the British media shows how dumb society has now become.

And shame on any Irish media for even reporting it.

The problem is that RTÉ2 has no real focus. It's schedule is all over the place, these shows sit in the middle of little else, RTÉ have a fascination with dating and weddings on RTÉ2.

RTÉ2 has a 6 - 7% share of the audience when it has sports, its highest rated programming, when it doesn't have sport it can have adudiences between 4 and 5%, these rating would be alright if in some way RTÉ2 provided a public service but much like it sister radio station 2fm it is filled with fluff.

It's the same with ITV2 or E4 more or whatever they are called.

Fluff cheap TV based at a certain demographic.

If they become popular enough they get moved to main channels.

Virgin are the same.

It's a reflection of our times, BBC news barely makes it into the top 30 of watched programs in the UK.

That said I grew up in a time where the quality of TV was completely rubbish.

Quality wise, TV is certainly better now. There is just way more of it so it gets diluted down.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Expect to see another couple of nonsense headline stories over coming weeks, to take the UK populations mind off Brexit.

The fact that this is front page news on a lot of the British media shows how dumb society has now become.

What are you talking about?

It's the same with ITV2 or E4 more or whatever they are called.

Fluff cheap TV based at a certain demographic.

If they become popular enough they get moved to main channels.

Virgin are the same.

It's a reflection of our times, BBC news barely makes it into the top 30 of watched programs in the UK.

That said I grew up in a time where the quality of TV was completely rubbish.

Quality wise, TV is certainly better now. There is just way more of it so it gets diluted down.

There is a massive and there should be a massive difference between E4, More4, ITV2 and any other extra channel to that of RTÉ2. RTÉ2 is more likely to be described as BBC2 or Channel4. It receives a portion of the licence fee to produce programming.

RTÉ2 actually has less programming and yet it quality is that of quanity.

If RTÉ2 was producing quality programming along with First Dates, Dating with my Parents, Don't Tell The Bride, I'd have no issue with the size of the audience that they are getting, but RTÉ2 audience levels are so low that it is even hard to justify Sport on the channel.

They are not doing their job.

10 The Rotunda 21:31 Thu 1.7 63
    19 My Big Day: Home Or Away? 21:31 Mon 1.3 47

You get far more of My Big Day type programming on 2 than you do The Rotunda, and while yes people are moving from TV these figures are more like the kind you'd get for an repeat of

2 Tipping Point Mon/Tue/Sun 17:00 Avg 1.50 54.1

on VMT TWO.

BTW the only other non-sports show above The Rotunda in RTÉ2's top shows was Home and Away and it happen to have a unusually "high" rating of 75,000.

All ratings are adults. 15+

Monday night 9.30 on RTE One. A new programme to attract younger viewers "Dating with my parents".

I have to say, there is more chance of me eating my parents than there is of me watching it.

What I can't understand is whoy RTE bankroll US first run shows and put them on the graveyard shift yet put repeats at prime time, completely burning cash on Donnybrook lawns.

Thats a constant annoyance of mine. Years ago, the West Wing started at 9.30 on a Monday night after the news. Grand. But it slowly moved later and later. By season 4 it was up to 11pm. Meaning too late for most people interested in it to actually watch it.

Tonight at 9.30 is the late late :rolleyes: and on RTE2 Jaws.

I think someone in Donnybrook said "We're going to need a bigger repeat".

Terrific movie, yes, but who hasn't seen it a dozen times already. Will it keep me away from Graham Norton or QI on BBC? No.

• Advertisement

Terrific movie, yes, but who hasn't seen it a dozen times already. Will it keep me away from Graham Norton or QI on BBC? No.

What would?

What would?

Trying something different? Utilising there €25million euro worth of imported programming.

Trying something different? Utilising there €25million euro worth of imported programming.

Again though, Ireland are in this pretty unique situation to have a neighbor that speaks English beaming 20 billion worth of content, the majority of it free.

Can you compete with 25 milllion or 300 million?

Personally I think Norton is gone fstale, Celeb telling "witty" story while trying to hock whatever shíté they are selling that week as Graham belts out the double entendres and drinks "wine".

That said it is a popular show which has many Irish fans, simply put whatever is on they won't watch it if it clashes with Norton.

Again though, Ireland are in this pretty unique situation to have a neighbor that speaks English beaming 20 billion worth of content, the majority of it free.

Can you compete with 25 milllion or 300 million?

Personally I think Norton is gone fstale, Celeb telling "witty" story while trying to hock whatever shíté they are selling that week as Graham belts out the double entendres and drinks "wine".

That said it is a popular show which has many Irish fans, simply put whatever is on they won't watch it if it clashes with Norton.

Yeah, I suppose you can always just not try to do something different and go well you know there is no way we can compete at all. I think that's a strategy that might work.

And yes the last good interview GN did was with Kevin Costner about 5 years ago.

Also we are not that unique Austria, Belgium, Switzerland and other smaller European French and German speaking nations would be in a similar situation.

Yeah, I suppose you can always just not try to do something different and go well you know there is no way we can compete at all. I think that's a strategy that might work.

I don't really see any of the other channels trying to compete with the Norton slot TBH.

Between the Late Late Show, Norton and Jaws.

I'd probably pick jaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

NIMAN wrote: »

You OK hun???as they do be saying over on fb.... Is it the great Rooney /vardy spat that has us all glued to our screens you refer to

• Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yip, thanks hun.

Posted in wrong thread as you've gathered.

I don't really see any of the other channels trying to compete with the Norton slot TBH.

Between the Late Late Show, Norton and Jaws.

I'd probably pick jaws.

So would I TBH, but that's not the point, across the board RTÉ aren't utilizing what they have, just because TLLS and GN are on the other side doesn't mean that you don't try to provide alternative content (which in turn trickles down to On Demand viewing), instead RTÉ have chosen a do nothing approach, and TLLS and GN are both extreme examples of this there are many others.

Indeed UTV Ireland, TV3 and now VMTV one have all tried to air GN at the same time as the BBC only to move it to the next night.

Also we are not that unique Austria, Belgium, Switzerland and other smaller European French and German speaking nations would be in a similar situation.

A lot of those channels are FTV not FTA like here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

And tonight on the Late Late Show we will have €495,000 per year Ryan Tubridy interviewing the Speaker of the House of Commons John Bercow who gets paid £156,000 per year.

Advertisement