Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50cc Motorbike...why arent more people using them?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Y2K86

E-Bikes have killed this market

It's dead forever

Why drive a 100kg, noisy, dirty, smelly 50cc petrol bike when a 25kg, silent, clean e-bike can be had for the same price

No tax, no insurance, way cheaper running costs, bit of exercise from pedaling

These are the future

https://www.geoo.com

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dermatrov

I have a push bike for the weekends :)

Electric bikes need insurance, no?

They also have a terrible range.

But even worse, you cant rev an electric bike, or get that lovely smell of exhaust fumes you get from a bike. Even a 50cc one :)

Y2K86 wrote: »
    E-Bikes have killed this market

It's dead forever

Why drive a 100kg, noisy, dirty, smelly 50cc petrol bike when a 25kg, silent, clean e-bike can be had for the same price

No tax, no insurance, way cheaper running costs, bit of exercise from pedaling

These are the future

https://www.geoo.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If the range of an electric bicycle is a problem, then its also a problem for a 50cc bike no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

dermatrov wrote: »

No, and some have good enough range for commuting for sure. Especially in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Full spec sent to insurance company, and they checked it out before quoting.
    (with the distributor in the UK and via a chinese website).

If you sent specs showing 40mph then they shouldn't have insured you. Regardless when you need to make a claim the licence you have doesn't cover a bike that can exceed 45km/h so your insurance will be void. As I said before it's always the operator's responsibility to ensure that they are legal not the insurance company or shop selling the bike.

• Advertisement

If you sent specs showing 40mph then they shouldn't have insured you. Regardless when you need to make a claim the licence you have doesn't cover a bike that can exceed 45km/h so your insurance will be void. As I said before it's always the operator's responsibility to ensure that they are legal not the insurance company or shop selling the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Suspect the 40mph was achieved with the wind to the back, slipstream of large vehicle and/or a slight downward gradient.

Any unmodified, factory standard, 50cc can be insured as such, even the more glamorous RS50 OCgrOSp.png
    or updated RS4 50 (the stuff of teenage dreams).

Given the choice between a e-bicycle or a 50cc motorbike, generally the mbike will provide more safety and protection from the elements.
    You could of course wear a helmet, padded leather jacket, d3o elbow pads, boots, visor and kevlar gloves on a e/cycle but it would look a bit odd.

Suspect the 40mph was achieved with the wind to the back, slipstream of large vehicle and/or a slight downward gradient.

Any unmodified, factory standard, 50cc can be insured as such, even the more glamorous RS50 OCgrOSp.png
    or updated RS4 50 (the stuff of teenage dreams).

Given the choice between a e-bicycle or a 50cc motorbike, generally the mbike will provide more safety and protection from the elements.
    You could of course wear a helmet, padded leather jacket, d3o elbow pads, boots, visor and kevlar gloves on a e/cycle but it would look a bit odd.

Plenty of 50cc bikes exceed 45km/h out of the factory. But to be ridden with a pre Oct 2006 B licence, M or AM the bike can't exceed 45km/h there's plenty of options as our continental cousins have been able to ride them at 14 with no insurance or licence required till recently.

The problem is this country is that the Gardaì are ignoring the illegal ebikes and 2 stroke bicycles so currently they can be ridden without tax, licence, insurance or lid but sit on a moped and see how far you can go without them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

dermatrov wrote:
    I have a push bike for the weekends
    They also have a terrible range.
    But even worse, you cant rev an electric bike, or get that lovely smell of exhaust fumes you get from a bike. Even a 50cc one

Your arguments are getting worse each post. You still need to learn a bit how to be a salesman in disguise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I'd be more worried about the frame and wheels than the engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Cheap for a reason I’d say...thing will fall apart going down th road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Cheap for a reason I’d say...thing will fall apart going down th road.

More like the thing won't stop and you'll plough into some woman with a buggy and kill her child

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Imagine a couple of (even basic drum) brakes on a <30mph machine less than 90kg should stop faster than any cyclist at comparative speeds.

The website the OP references also has a machine that almost passed by as 'Japanese' until re-read the name: 'Yamasaki' Yama-Saki!
    Decent looking, yoke with low-mileage slightly used prices generally under 1k.

tZjYEEy.png

No idea what new or warranty/parts availability, but as with all these things from the Changzhou Industrial Zone, keep them in a garage, oiled, and don't let them get wet.
    Maybe buy a 2nd as a parts-donor also.

They also mention max speeds of 65kmph on their 50cc's, but arrive 'restricted' back from that (slightly suggestive).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

They are probably as good as Hyodungs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

They are probably as good as Hyodungs

they look a damn sight better tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,860 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Because they're slow * deathtraps, that's why.

*The words 'shytty', 'unreliable', 'horrible' and 'nasty' may be substituted or added here, as the reader sees fit.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

I have ridden bikes all my life and have a number of them ranging from Honda 125 right up to BMW 1200 with a half a dozen in between lucky for me I have the space to keep them, But every I work in Dublin city center so my everyday ride is a Yamaha Aerox 50cc moped.
    This little Moped is amazing does 90km on a push ok slows down on hills but as a baisc moped its amazing and on a run from Leixlip to Dublin for the last year with only replacing the plug twice what more could I ask for Oh a 20 to 25 min run

Advertisement