Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying for Childrens College

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yesto24

Drifter50 wrote: »
    You`re right and it has`nt. The 6 years in college included a masters and makes little difference to a teaching career.

The entire teaching system is broken in this country. If you have just qualified as a teacher and you are looking for a job you can only apply to the teaching jobs panel for the area that you live / have a permanent address. Most of the primary school jobs are virtual, they don`t exist in reality.

Now you think I`m talking rubbish, let me explain. Mrs Bloggs who is a primary school teacher has been teaching in X school for years and years. Her retirement date comes up, she does`nt want to retire but she must. So heres what happens. Her vacancy is advertised on the panel but the principal and the board has already decided that they will hire Mrs Bloggs back on a year to year sub basis. That means that she will have her pension and will be paid for working on the basis of a substitute teacher. Meanwhile all the new younger candidates who have applied for her job will go through the sham of applying and interviews but the job does not effectively exist if you get me. That happens up and down the country, not in all circumstances bit in a fair proportion. Stop and think how many 60 and even 70 year old teachers you see in primary schools. My 28 year old applied for 86 jobs over the summer last year and got 1 interview, Yes 1 interview. It was`nt untill Sept she picked up the sub job

The other virtual jobs that don`t really exist are the entry level where a new teacher has been lucky enough over the past 3 years or so to secure a permanent job. She / he then sees the riches that can be made by teaching in Dubai/ Emirates / UK etc and take a career break for a few years. Her job cannot be filled while the career break is in force so the job is advertised and given to a substitute teacher on a zero hours contract.

Pregnancy, illness and other reasons make up a further percentage so that at the end of the day there are very little real permanent teaching jobs there.

So to further muddy the waters the TUI, ASTI and INTO are the 3 trade unions that have a complete closed shop on the teaching profession and all 3 are run by men and women of a certain age that are only interested in preserving their terms and conditions. The unions negotiated the deal with the Dept of Education that when teachers with a zero hours contract ie sub teachers come into the school holidays, they are paid a weekly allowance /dole of €85 per week, Now how on earth are the trade unions representing the graduate teachers if they agreed to such a rubbish deal, how can you exist on €85 per week??

So those who say get out and get a 2nd job, Yes that is an option and my 28 year old wants to do that. She worked in a pub to get herself through college and they have offered her a deal to go back there permanently at 3 times her salary of 2017. She wants to throw the teaching job and go back there but I`m trying to say hold on it will work out eventually and maybe Please God she will get a permanent job in this summers round of vacancies.

To those who say teachers should get off their backside and get a 2nd job, riddle me this. Do you really want your child going to school to be taught by someone who has been working in a pub untill after midnight the night before and is tired cranky etc etc.

Sorry for the rant but the system needs to be ripped up and started again.

Just on your first point.
    I am almost certain a teacher ( and other public/civil servants) cannot retire and then take up another public job. Well they can but they will not be paid more in total with their pension and salary than the before they retired and just had a salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

yesto24 wrote: »
    I am almost certain a teacher ( and other public/civil servants) cannot retire and then take up another public job. Well they can but they will not be paid more in total with their pension and salary than the before they retired and just had a salary.

You`re correct, they would`nt be

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I'd disagree, I'm from a rural area and didn't move out until 24, commuted (had my own car) to college as did most of my friends.

A good few of my friends continued to live at home until their late 20's when they moved out into their own bought or more so built houses (the advantage of having your own land). I would have do the same without doubt if my job was commutable from home which it wasn't at the time.

So not only do they get mothered at home until their late 20s, they all get given a nice plot of land next to mammy for life.

I'd say these people couldn't tie their own shoes.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    So not only do they get mothered at home until their late 20s, they all get given a nice plot of land next to mammy for life.

I'd say these people couldn't tie their own shoes.

Bull of the highest order, all have good jobs, many married with kids now. No different to those of us who spend mon-Friday living in a house for a few years and home at weekends or the odd person I know who moved abroad etc. All just as well able to get on as the other.

I hope to be moving back home and building next to my own parents in the near future, i suppose this I'll lose the ability to tie my shoes any day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,697 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Bull of the highest order, all have good jobs, many married with kids now. No different to those of us who spend mon-Friday living in a house for a few years and home at weekends or the odd person I know who moved abroad etc. All just as well able to get on as the other.

I hope to be moving back home and building next to my own parents in the near future, i suppose this I'll lose the ability to tie my shoes any day now.

Doesn't your mammy cook clean and iron for you when your at home??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

If you can afford to save for your child's college education or contribute now, then fair play.
    My brother was sent to college by my parents and worked throughout his time there and my sister was sent to college by my parents and got the full free ride, my parents paid her living expenses etc and then, when it came to me, I was laughed out of it and told there was no money to send me to college. So I left home at 18 and worked full time to just barely scrape a living for a few years. Then, when I finally got to a place where I could afford to send myself to college, I have so many problems with my health that it just hasn't been possible. So I think my opportunity to get a college education is out of reach now, which is a pity because I was a good student, did well in tests and that sort of thing.

Obviously don't put yourself in debt but if you can make some small sacrifices to help your child build the start of their adult life, then why not. If your child ends up not going to college and instead wants to travel or start their own business or whatever, you can still contribute to that or you'll have a little pot of money to get something for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Put the 3 of them into a no-holes-bared, hell-in-a-cell, fight to the death.

It reduces you daily bills immediately and college fees will be a third of what they could have been.

On the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Similar situation here as the op, three nippers with income similar too, one income.
    We are overpaying the mortgage with the intention if finishing it a couple of years before the eldest starts college. The idea being that the mortgage amount instead goes into a savings account for the remaining post-mortgage years before college starts.
    At the moment we cannot afford to put the children's allowance aside. This way of doing it seems like the most efficient way as we don't have a tracker mortgage and savings interest rates are far below mortgage rates.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

yesto24 wrote: »

Tnx ref your honesty,my junior cert son wants to become a secondary school teacher,the address aspect ,and teachers unions attitude has opened my eyes to the problems we could face,ref your daughter ,if she's a vocation for teaching,I'd encourage her to bin the full time pub job,if teaching makes her happy I'd hang on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'd disagree, I'm from a rural area and didn't move out until 24, commuted (had my own car) to college as did most of my friends.

A good few of my friends continued to live at home until their late 20's when they moved out into their own bought or more so built houses (the advantage of having your own land). I would have do the same without doubt if my job was commutable from home which it wasn't at the time.

I'd say your fairly atypical somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

LirW wrote: »
    Times have changed, the concept of education has changed. Nowadays so many companies want graduates, so that leaves little options but going into third level.

Plenty of well paid trades that ain't going anywhere soon. Lots of degrees are worthless in the job market.

And people complainig about teaching, it beats the hell out of equivalent private sector jobs both short and long term and plenty of options to emigrate.

I'd say your fairly atypical somehow.

I wouldnt think so, I see similar all around my part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

professore wrote: »
    Plenty of well paid trades that ain't going anywhere soon. Lots of degrees are worthless in the job market.

And people complainig about teaching, it beats the hell out of equivalent private sector jobs both short and long term and plenty of options to emigrate.

Trades are a bit different though, because you're not going to college for 3 years to learn a trade, so you don't have the financial pressure on you and trades are a lot easier to pick up locally when you're not living in an urban area.

And I do see it as a problem too that there are plenty of degrees that have very little value in the job market.
    It is fascinating though, it happens from time to time that in PI young people post about being totally fed up with university, it's not for them, they're just a year in or halfway through and the overwhelming response in almost all cases is to finish the degree so they have at least something to show and it shows a future employer that you're able to stick that through.
    The truth is that the pressure on young people is very high to go into third level, every side stresses how important it is to hold a degree even though you don't enjoy it. It's disappointing that many of them don't see any options beside either college or a trade and there's so much in between that there's so little talk about.

Trades are a bit different though, because you're not going to college for 3 years to learn a trade, so you don't have the financial pressure on you and trades are a lot easier to pick up locally when you're not living in an urban area.

And I do see it as a problem too that there are plenty of degrees that have very little value in the job market.
    It is fascinating though, it happens from time to time that in PI young people post about being totally fed up with university, it's not for them, they're just a year in or halfway through and the overwhelming response in almost all cases is to finish the degree so they have at least something to show and it shows a future employer that you're able to stick that through.
    The truth is that the pressure on young people is very high to go into third level, every side stresses how important it is to hold a degree even though you don't enjoy it. It's disappointing that many of them don't see any options beside either college or a trade and there's so much in between that there's so little talk about.
    The trouble is there's still too much emphasis on filling time as much as anything. I've a few long gaps on my CV and was lucky to get in where I did. The vast, vast majority of companies had no interest. Even in a field like IT where I'd strongly argue a degree isn't necessary it's a huge, huge advantage. Without a degree but another job during which you did self-directed stuff will look fairly good too. Quitting college and trying for entry-level stuff is a waste of time for most people.
    And as I always point out about trades, 3rd year apprentices get paid more than I currently do. There's plenty of money in them if it takes someone's fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

erica74 wrote: »
    Then, when I finally got to a place where I could afford to send myself to college, I have so many problems with my health that it just hasn't been possible. So I think my opportunity to get a college education is out of reach now, which is a pity because I was a good student, did well in tests and that sort of thing.

Erica, just on your own situation, please don’t give up hope on having the opportunity. I had some difficult circumstances when I was younger too, so I know how it is. I’m in my thirties and will hopefully graduate this year. There is someone double (literally) my age on my course. You can always do things when the time is right for you, it’s never too late to have the opportunity. I hope your health is improving too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

If you can afford to save for your child's college education or contribute now, then fair play.
    My brother was sent to college by my parents and worked throughout his time there and my sister was sent to college by my parents and got the full free ride, my parents paid her living expenses etc and then, when it came to me, I was laughed out of it and told there was no money to send me to college. So I left home at 18 and worked full time to just barely scrape a living for a few years. Then, when I finally got to a place where I could afford to send myself to college, I have so many problems with my health that it just hasn't been possible. So I think my opportunity to get a college education is out of reach now, which is a pity because I was a good student, did well in tests and that sort of thing.

Obviously don't put yourself in debt but if you can make some small sacrifices to help your child build the start of their adult life, then why not. If your child ends up not going to college and instead wants to travel or start their own business or whatever, you can still contribute to that or you'll have a little pot of money to get something for yourself.

There's plenty of ways to study. There's loads of part time curses or even open university. I've done part time, full time, full time whilst working and I'm going back to do another curse this September Part time).

It can be hard finding something that suits you perfectly but there are plenty of options. Loads more than there were a few years ago. It gets tough because some courses like humanities aren't available as evening/part time courses. Of course there's always open university for that.
    And courses range from a few hours a week at home to full time college.

I'd fully encourage you o investigate a bit more. And if you need any advise, feel free to PM me. I've attended college pretty every way you can at this stage :)

Yes, you`re spot on there, 10/15 years ago it fashionable to go to 3rd level,now it seems fashionable to go on to another qualification after getting your initial degree. Indeed it seems a lot of job entry requirements ask for what have you done academically post university degree

Pity there is no attraction to the trades tho, if someone decides to electrical engineering for instance and follows a City & Guilds qualification there are huge opportunities in that field but it does`nt seem to be fashionable

Tnx ref your honesty,my junior cert son wants to become a secondary school teacher,the address aspect ,and teachers unions attitude has opened my eyes to the problems we could face,ref your daughter ,if she's a vocation for teaching,I'd encourage her to bin the full time pub job,if teaching makes her happy I'd hang on

Tks, Im trying to keep her focussed on the teaching career, not too much of an issue at the minute as she has a sub job but when she gets a P45 when term closes soon it becomes tricky.

Good luck with your son

Fair play to you Erica, sorry to hear about the circumstances but keep trying, maybe a part time diploma etc may suit you, Rome was`nt built in a day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

I wouldnt think so, I see similar all around my part of the country.

I sometimes wonder if you exist in an entirely different decade or even century than the rest of us:pac:

• Advertisement

I sometimes wonder if you exist in an entirely different decade or even century than the rest of us:pac:

Posting from 1953 I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Aah lads, thanks very much for the replies, I really appreciate it.

I did a part time college course and was doing really well but half way through year 2 I had to leave it because of my health problems. I looked into the open university but it's a bit out of my price range right now.
    I haven't given up:D but it's probably going to take a bit of time to find something that's the right fit for my circumstances.

I do really appreciate the replies and advice, thanks again:D

I wonder who people are so fast to dismiss things they have no idea about, people who aren't rural, didn't go to rural school and don't know what goes on in many countryside areas talking like they know exactly what goes on.

I wonder who people are so fast to dismiss things they have no idea about, people who aren't rural, didn't go to rural school and don't know what goes on in many countryside areas talking like they know exactly what goes on.

I'm from a very rural part of Ireland. You're from 1953 rural ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'm from rural Ireland - you're correct, there are people like yourself around the place but you'd be very much the minority and getting smaller

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

I'm from rural Ireland - you're correct, there are people like yourself around the place but you'd be very much the minority and getting smaller

But a very recognizable sort, rarer as they may becoming. I lived in rural Ireland in the late 70/early 80s. I could spot a nox from miles away - mainly by the smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

But a very recognizable sort, rarer as they may becoming. I lived in rural Ireland in the late 70/early 80s. I could spot a nox from miles away - mainly by the smell.

That’s kinda unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,502 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I could spot a nox from miles away - mainly by the smell.

Mod: Less of this crap, please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Drifter50 wrote: »

The entire teaching system is broken in this country. If you have just qualified as a teacher and you are looking for a job you can only apply to the teaching jobs panel for the area that you live / have a permanent address. Most of the primary school jobs are virtual, they don`t exist in reality.

Now you think I`m talking rubbish, let me explain. Mrs Bloggs who is a primary school teacher has been teaching in X school for years and years. Her retirement date comes up, she does`nt want to retire but she must. So heres what happens. Her vacancy is advertised on the panel but the principal and the board has already decided that they will hire Mrs Bloggs back on a year to year sub basis. That means that she will have her pension and will be paid for working on the basis of a substitute teacher. Meanwhile all the new younger candidates who have applied for her job will go through the sham of applying and interviews but the job does not effectively exist if you get me. That happens up and down the country, not in all circumstances bit in a fair proportion. Stop and think how many 60 and even 70 year old teachers you see in primary schools. My 28 year old applied for 86 jobs over the summer last year and got 1 interview, Yes 1 interview. It was`nt untill Sept she picked up the sub job

A newly qualified teacher can apply to any school as they are not on a panel. Mrs Blogs could only be employed by a school if all the teachers on the panel have got employment. I don't know what part of the country you are in but within a 50 mile radius of Dublin for the past few years there is a shortage of primary teachers, with permanent posts getting less than 20 applicants. If your daughter is not getting called for interview she may need to change something on her cv.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

You need to become a two income family now if that is possible

Advertisement