Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8th amendment referendum part 3 - Mod note and FAQ in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

the are on about it on rte as well

Lady called amy on the tv3 show talking about ffa. Just finished the interview.
    Breda o'brien, andrew o'regan Maeve ogan and timmy dooley after the break

Who's on?

Going to bed have to be up at 5 for work look forward to reading the reviews.

gmisk wrote: »
    let it go

If I can get this fe*king song out of my head that is

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Dressing gown

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Going to bed have to be up at 5 for work look forward to reading the reviews.

So far a perspective from a man saved from being aborted by the 8th amendment, and then from a mother that spent 10 weeks waiting for her baby to die only to then go to England when she couldn’t cope anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Further thought experiment. One of the things our science is working towards is the possibility of transferring human consciousness onto machine. There is nothing in science at this time telling us we can not achieve this. We may do it some day. But imagine for a moment I could do it tomorrow. And I split your consciousness out into a computer terminal with a keyboard and screen to communicate with you.

And using life support I kept your body going. Which one of those two things, if they could keep one and destroy the other, do you feel your loved ones would take home and cherish? And why.

the answer mightn't be as obvious as it seems to you, I'd wager after a while of trying to accept the 'conscience in a machine', both would be switched off. the machine destroyed or returned to the lab, and a funeral held for the body

• Advertisement

Ronan mullen on twip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

fxotoole wrote: »
    God has no place in how the State is run
    I disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

spookwoman wrote: »
    Ronan mullen on twip

Popped up on Facebook somebody said he was brilliant from the No campaign!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I disagree

Why should people who don’t share your faith have to live according to your beliefs?

I’m not forcing mine on you?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Further thought experiment. One of the things our science is working towards is the possibility of transferring human consciousness onto machine. There is nothing in science at this time telling us we can not achieve this. We may do it some day. But imagine for a moment I could do it tomorrow. And I split your consciousness out into a computer terminal with a keyboard and screen to communicate with you.

And using life support I kept your body going. Which one of those two things, if they could keep one and destroy the other, do you feel your loved ones would take home and cherish? And why.
    So pretty much every episode of black mirror?

I'm taking the computer.... Depending on the OS and what games it has.

• Advertisement

Popped up on Facebook somebody said he was brilliant from the No campaign!
    ref ffa He's in a unique situation he knows someone..... and didn't answer the question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭uptherebels

I disagree

Good thing you edited out that longer reply about Christian patriots

Ronan mullen on twip
    Ah Brill.
    He is always a disaster.

ref ffa He's in a unique situation he knows someone..... and didn't answer the question
    He didn't answer a question in the Claire Byrne show about whether a 12yo who was raped should be forced to carry to term... Its a talent in a way...

He didn't answer a question in the Claire Byrne show about whether a 12yo who was raped should be forced to carry to term... Its a talent in a way...
    Bullsh*t baffles brains

Ah Brill.
    He is always a disaster.

According to the No campaign he's wiping the floor with a guy called Michael!

Regina monologues dogherty and anne rabbit on now

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Dressing gown

Breda O’Brien being enormously disrespectful saying the referendum isn’t about pregnancies where there is a FFA and getting called out on it.

According to the No campaign he's wiping the floor with a guy called Michael!
    According to the No campaign...

And I am out.

According to the No campaign...

And I am out.

What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Mullens claimed there's a lack of evidence as to whether mental health is health.

He genuinely makes my skin crawl

What?
    Ah I just mean I wouldn't really believe a tap of what they are saying.

John Mc guirk for example has been a bloody disaster for them, caught out lying and contradicting himself constantly.

Declan Ganleys twitter is even more fun, he is literally throwing out anything he can think of.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Mullens claimed there's a lack of evidence as to whether mental health is health.

Mullens said he knew a woman who had mental health issues since she had an abortion. He then went on to say mental health doesn't exist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Declan Ganleys twitter is even more fun, he is literally throwing out anything he can think of.

The desperation is showing.

Bridge93 wrote: »

The clue is in the term mental health.

I feel same he just comes across as slimey and insincere, was same during SSM referendum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Why should people who don’t share your faith have to live according to your beliefs?

I’m not forcing mine on you?
    Of course you are, we are living in a democracy are we not? In this particular referendum, I am being asked a question and consequently I shall reply with an answer. For every woman who has an abortion, there is at least one child who is aborted so the aborted children are the majority. Even if they were not, I would have to factor in the fact that the unborn don`t get a vote.

Also, if you do not believe "Thou shalt not kill," - how do you decide who lives and who dies. What if someone else decides the likes of you or I should die, that would not be very nice would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Mullen took a diff line than usual. Not his usual sneering and condescending. He knew that would'nt work against McDowell. And he still lost the argument.
    Mullen went on about not trusting politicians. He mentioned, abortion of the say of one doctor on mental health grounds, as being the proposed legislation. McDowell said, as a Senator, he would vote against that and he didn't see the Oireachtais voting that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

My 10 cents worth.

So Breda O'Brien of IONA thinks that a bereavement wrap around service for parents of a FFA would help, rather than going to the UK. This referendum is not about these tragic cases. She says that people taking abortion pills will still be on their own in their bedrooms, but didn't acknowledge that if the 8th was repealed that they would have direct access to gps. Blaming politicians for not providing services, for both.

Timmy Dooley FF TD recognises that people find themselves in a crisis and that the law doesn't support them. said IONA have an idealistic ideal of Ireland and that we need change. Language of judgment (hard cases, abortion on demand, etc). talking about language of the constitution, says there is not protection for the unborn in the constitution as the constitution allows for abortion as long as its not in ireland and he thinks this needs to change. He is coming across very well. Talking about people taking abortion pills in their bedroom. Says that abortion has been around for 1,000's of years and that we need to deal with it here and not have people travel.

Dr Andrew O'Regan, GP for the 8th says there is no such thing as FFA, its a severe disability that children have. Says the percentage of women with FFA pregnancies is such a small percentage that abortion isnt the answer. Blamed Peter Boylan for the term social abortion as he mentioned that most abortions are for socio economic reasons (not the same thing as a social abortion IMO). Says liberal abortion laws dont really support women? He says that the poorest and disabled mums are targetted for abortions?

Dr Maeve Eogan, Obs at Rotunda says we have wrap around service for parents but it stops while in the UK then picks up when she returns. Very eloquent, saying that if the 8th is repealed that women can access all the services to get as much info as possible before they make their choice. Says that the 8th amendment is not suitable for purpose. Here is two drs that can't agree. Says the 8th restricts them.

Host talking about no supports have been in place for 35 years and why haven't IONA etc haven't lobbied for supports.

Very interesting - fact checking coming up (I love the fact checking) - keeps the buggers honest

The desperation is showing.
    When you are telling people to cancel a trip to Lourdes for votes.... I think so.

Oh and my other favourite is that paddy Power are colluding with the yes campaign... That is why they have closed betting lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

When you are telling people to cancel a trip to Lourdes for votes.... I think so.

Oh and my other favourite is that paddy Power are colluding with the yes campaign... That is why they have closed betting lol

Skybet have it at 1/10 and Ladbrokes 1/7 as of this morning for a yes vote. The latest polls really shifted the price

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement