Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should alcohol be banned on Intercity rail journeys?

Options
  • 28-04-2018 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone think the same as me that alcohol should be banned being brought onto Intercity Train services? and also intoxicated passengers forbidden on trains?

I dont know exactly how it could work though at the finer points. Maybe a search before people even get on the train and all cans etc confiscated or be made to put in luggage and the luggage/cases put into special luggage carriage on the train where passengers can collect when they get off?

I know a certain amount of people will find this shocking and too over the top but a blind eye also I think cannot be given to people taking a few cans and spirits on the trains and drinking themselves into a stupor on their journeys and making it intimidating and a risk to other passengers.

am intrigued to think of what others think about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,499 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If they are not singing and talking sheite loudly or bothering other passengers I see no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

If they are not singing and talking sheite loudly or bothering other passengers I see no problem.

that is part of the problem - very rarely would you see a 'quiet drunk' .. or if you do they are nearly falling over trying to get up out of a seat to walk down the carriage - i don't think that's an exaggeration is it?

also a couple of more points:

Should minors on the train for a day out see/witness inebriated people in this state (of course they can get to see inebriated parents/family and other people on the streets and at wakes and at parties drunk too? but that's an issue maybe for another day)

I thought I read somewhere the number of Guards/drivers being assaulted on the increase (either verbally or physically) and wonder how much of this could be attributed to drunk passengers on the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Bredabe

A million times yes! if it was one quite drink I would be ok with it.
    In my vast experience, it's a few 6 packs if not a few on board already, falling all around the place, drunk "humour", fight-picking, the endless feeling loudness, flying missiles.

Inability to move safely around, dirty toilets and or ppl passed out in them. Then the almost inevitable rows over boy/girlfriends and smoking(at best tobacco) and LOUD.

THE FIELDS OF ATHENRY ON EVERY SINGLE ROUTE, INCLUDING THE ENTERPRISE.

Did I mention the loudness?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

nope, should be allowed. All you need is a staffed train where those staff are actually capable and empowered to take action against travellers who take the piss with it (or anything else) and boot them off the train at the next stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

nope, should be allowed. All you need is a staffed train where those staff are actually capable and empowered to take action against travellers who take the piss with it (or anything else) and boot them off the train at the next stop.

Exactly. We already have plenty of laws relating to being intoxicated in public and anti social behaviour. We should start with enforcing these before introducing another law to ignore.

Don't forget that several years ago it was made an offence to be intoxicated in public and there was a big hullabaloo about it. Newstalk even had their reporter Henry with the top Dublin Garda in Templebar the night it came in and he asked was everyone going to be arrested now and the Garda said no. What they didn't say that it replaced a law that made it illegal to be intoxicated in public! See how well that went.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

I can't think of one time my journey has been improved by drunk people sharing it with me. But I can think of a few where screeching hen parties, quarrelsome gangs of lads or angry drunk families have made the journey a tense, unpleasant one. Yes, drunks and drink should be banned. They don't belong in a space shared by families, old people and children. Poll, please!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

that is part of the problem - very rarely would you see a 'quiet drunk' .. or if you do they are nearly falling over trying to get up out of a seat to walk down the carriage - i don't think that's an exaggeration is it?
    Is this really a case of not seeing them, or simply not noticing them? I.e. say someone over the course of a 2 hour train ride were to have 2 cans, that's not going to have them that far gone in most cases, and unless you're sitting somewhere that you can see what they're drinking, you may well perceive them as not drinking at all. Just because you may not notice something does not mean it's non-existent.
    also a couple of more points:

Should minors on the train for a day out see/witness inebriated people in this state (of course they can get to see inebriated parents/family and other people on the streets and at wakes and at parties drunk too? but that's an issue maybe for another day)
    As others have already alluded to, the problem here is not drinking alcohol on trains, but rather doing it to excess. No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, or to punish the potential many people who avail of it without abusing it (see above RE observation) just because of some others who can't be trusted.
    I thought I read somewhere the number of Guards/drivers being assaulted on the increase (either verbally or physically) and wonder how much of this could be attributed to drunk passengers on the train.
    Not even going to address this, as something you think you remember reading is vague enough that you could also have imagined it, so not really worth addressing without a source.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Rechuchote wrote: »
    I can't think of one time my journey has been improved by drunk people sharing it with me. But I can think of a few where screeching hen parties, quarrelsome gangs of lads or angry drunk families have made the journey a tense, unpleasant one. Yes, drunks and drink should be banned. They don't belong in a space shared by families, old people and children. Poll, please!

They are already breaking several laws. Try fixing the problems with our current laws and if that doesn't work then look at changing the law.

Blanket banning alcohol will not stop the scumbags from drinking on the train all it'll do is make someone looking to enjoy a few drinks while on the train to move to the faster cheaper bus or car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Sure if you banned it then the sensationalist indo wouldn't have headlines such as

"Stag party sing on train, you won't believe the reaction "

As for drinking on trains, they should operate some dry trains.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

You need to have some dry carriages, just as in the days of smoking and non smoking carriages.

cython wrote: »
    As others have already alluded to, the problem here is not drinking alcohol on trains, but rather doing it to excess.

But what's "to excess"? The main hen party I remember ruining a journey to Galway for me were not terribly drunk, but they were squealing and screeching like a party of cow elephants in rut, and I don't think they'd have been so squealy without the oiling of the few cans that were before them on the tables.

Alcohol facilitates ill manners, and we in Ireland don't have the disapproving glares of other Europeans at ill manners.

ah yes i would go with that solution too - wouldnt bother with the 'next stop' malarkey though, id pull the emergency cord and kick their sorry arse off right there and then no matter where the train is.

I was on a train once where there was this drunk causing a nuisance, of course none of the passengers done anything apart from the 'tut tut' and death stares ... but when he did get off at a stop some people started clapping . only staff on that train was person with refreshments trolley and he didnt do anything, even though he wall quite burly and could have chucked him off the train - I suppose they are not allowed to

Del2005 wrote: »
    Exactly. We already have plenty of laws relating to being intoxicated in public and anti social behaviour. We should start with enforcing these before introducing another law to ignore.

Don't forget that several years ago it was made an offence to be intoxicated in public and there was a big hullabaloo about it. Newstalk even had their reporter Henry with the top Dublin Garda in Templebar the night it came in and he asked was everyone going to be arrested now and the Garda said no. What they didn't say that it replaced a law that made it illegal to be intoxicated in public! See how well that went.

why are we so ****e in this country at enforcing laws? - is it because the Gardai cannot be bothered (maybe a lot of forms/paperwork to fill out) or maybe because the case gets to court and the judge throws it out or just imposes a paltry fine - either way, people are still holding a mobile phone to their ear and people are still rolling around drunk in public places and streets and places where children are playing like parks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

No. Encouraging nanny state nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Does anyone think the same as me that alcohol should be banned being brought onto Intercity Train services? and also intoxicated passengers forbidden on trains?

I dont know exactly how it could work though at the finer points. Maybe a search before people even get on the train and all cans etc confiscated or be made to put in luggage and the luggage/cases put into special luggage carriage on the train where passengers can collect when they get off?

I know a certain amount of people will find this shocking and too over the top but a blind eye also I think cannot be given to people taking a few cans and spirits on the trains and drinking themselves into a stupor on their journeys and making it intimidating and a risk to other passengers.

am intrigued to think of what others think about it.

No. Away tae feck with your nanny statism. If pax are causing a nuisance they can and should be put off, and the guards called.

No. Away tae feck with your nanny statism. If pax are causing a nuisance they can and should be put off, and the guards called.

But they won't be.

Del.Monte wrote: »

what a bloody shíte father he is on that train. Rather stay on the train than get off to be with his family. Later on his son will grow up and go to psychologist and will say his early memory is waiting for Daddy to get off train and that he never got off

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Without the high margin, long shelf life sales of booze I'd expect the trolley services to vanish entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I don't think alcohol should be banned on the train, but I also don't believe you should be allowed travel long distances pissed out of your mind or be allowed to bring/drink your own alcohol on board. The price of the trolley beers and wine is enough to stop you getting too trollied and why should loud and nasty drunks feck it up for everyone else.

I'm fed up of the mainline trains trying to act like commuter transport. You should be able to have a glass of beer or wine with your lunch on a long rail journey and enjoy the comforts if that be your penchant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

what a bloody shíte father he is on that train. Rather stay on the train than get off to be with his family. Later on his son will grow up and go to psychologist and will say his early memory is waiting for Daddy to get off train and that he never got off

Even after 20 million-odd of your posts, I still can't actually tell if you're a troll or not.

L1011 wrote: »
    Without the high margin, long shelf life sales of booze I'd expect the trolley services to vanish entirely.

its surprising in one way how Irish Rail operate because this is the thing that they do have drinks trolleys so it makes you wonder how they allow people on with 6 packs and drink - mind you I suppose the drinks trolley is franchised out or something so IR dont care about that.

But also if travellers were just buying off the drinks trolley then at least it could be metered in some way and if someone looked like they had too much to drink they could be refused serving more alcohol to them like (what supposed to happen but rarely does) publicans do

L1011 wrote: »

What baffles me most about the trolley service is how truly awful the food is, and how expensive. In a country that's had a wonderful food revolution in the last 30 years, the one haven of the soggy sad sandwich and dreary tea in unrecyclable paper cups is our railway. Maybe this is why people want to drink. They Drink To Forget (the taste of the sandwiches.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

The former, no. The latter, yes; and I thought it was already banned and just a matter of enforcement?

(I) am intrigued to think of what others think about it.
    It takes more than "a few cans" to get someone drunk. A decent-sized bottle of spirit would do it faster. You contradict yourself: people in a stupor (which means to be near unconsciousness) are not awake enough to be aggressive drunks, but are certainly at risk of missing their station(s). And believe it or not, there are loads of people who consume alcohol in moderation and handle themselves quite well once off the train, so there is no reason to spoil their journey, because aggressive drunks would merely get their fix before boarding if such a ban were in effect.

Are you advocating for Shariah-style prohibition on the train, since you're deliberately conflating drinking with drunkenness and proposing a nanny-state-type solution? If this is just a troll post, so what if I bit the bait.

MGWR wrote: »
    It takes more than "a few cans" to get someone drunk.

Depends. Alcoholics who fall off the wagon can find themselves getting hopelessly drunk on a small amount of alcohol - their livers seem to behave as if they've continued drinking at the same level.

But they won't be.
    "They" won't be what? They (the drunks) won't be put off the train by the guards, or they (the guards) won't be summoned?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just have an IR person on the train watching things. But there are none, that is why pre booked seats taken up by someone else cause such angst.

It means passengers are doing the supervision.

Anyway, I have no problem with people having a few drinks, it is when it impacts on others, then it really is a problem. But people stay schtum, why? because there is no back up when things get really rowdy and obnoxious.

Anyway, I avoid trains at the weekends. It helps because the numpties are not having hen/staggers during the week Yay!

I'll drive if I have to visit somewhere over a weekend quite frankly. Sligo (Carrick on Shannon), Kilkenny and other places are no no's for train travel at the weekends due to the drunken hens and staggers. But not everyone has that choice I know.

Ifs and buts and maybes.

Alcoholics who fall off the wagon can find themselves getting hopelessly drunk on a small amount of alcohol - their livers seem to behave as if they've continued drinking at the same level.
    Vast majority of such types are "functional" and would not exhibit aggressive behaviour. And the last thing they would want to be doing is riding a train and paying extra for the on-board stuff. Never mind the small numbers taking intercity journeys by train.

oh FGS would ya just stop with the "your a Troll" and "cannot make up my mind if you are trolling" stereotyping just because I am trying to have a decent conversation on here and trying to get others views on a subject that I think is worth discussing - I already said i know it will sound a bit OTT and not very popular maybe with some , but I am not trolling.

Now, can we get back to discussing and shelve the name calling and assumptions please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

I don’t support a full ban on alcohol on trains, as that would be unfair on the people who enjoy a few beers without making life miserable for everyone else on the train. I would suggest Irish rail contracting security on Intercity trains, like they have on the Luas, to deal with antisocial behaviour, excessively drunk people and agreesive threatening behaviour. I think Irish Rail staff haven’t the cojones to stand up to bullies on their trains. The catering staff shouldn’t be expected to do it, as it’s not their job.

They should also have security staff at Intercity gates, searching handbags for alcohol, and turning away anyone who’s already off-their-trolley drunk attempting to board the train.

Advertisement