Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So overwhelmed - please help - costs for driving in Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

The waiting times for tests are quite long. This can be problematic if you're trying to pass only from lessons with an instructor. If you do 12 lessons, then apply for the test, it will be several months before you get one scheduled, so you will have forgotten a lot of what you learned.

The couple of negative reactions to my previous post are irritating and silly. It had accurate and useful info.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dawanda

CiniO wrote: »
    Have you any links?
    That's first time I hear that.
    And I was reading about it fairly recently.

Links in German are fine.

https://www.bussgeldkatalog.org/fahrschule-pflichtstunden/
    and wikipedia

Crucial difference is that you have to take theoretical lessons as well

washman3 wrote: »
    How much driving are you doing.? ie your daily milage?
    Are you living in a city or the countryside.?
    Would you consider buying a moped (small motorcycle) to get you from A to B.
    Would only be a fraction of the cost of a car to buy and run and you can drive immediately on a provisional licence.

Since I'm renting and would like to move to somewhere cheaper next year it will most likely be country side and most likely mean commuting around 80 kms one way max 4 times a week.

CiniO wrote: »
    Have you any links?
    That's first time I hear that.
    And I was reading about it fairly recently.

Links in German are fine.

actually, not sure anymore where I got the accompanied driving info from. On wikipedia it does not say anything about being able to practise without a licence and instructor. I think I might have gotten that part wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

dawanda wrote: »
    actually, not sure anymore where I got the accompanied driving info from. On wikipedia it does not say anything about being able to practise without a licence and instructor. I think I might have gotten that part wrong.

I didn't have time yet to look at your link and try to understand it, but from what I read you need 23 general practical lessons + 12 lessons in special conditions (f.e. 4 on autobahn, some in darkness, etc...).
    So 35 in total.

And from what I remember, there is an option for 17 year old to do a licence, but then they have to nominate few people (at least 30 years old with licence for at least 5) who will be accompanying them. And that's the only way 17 year old can drive.
    Only once you're over 18 you can get normal licence and drive unaccompanied.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

dawanda wrote: »
    https://www.bussgeldkatalog.org/fahrschule-pflichtstunden/
    and wikipedia

Crucial difference is that you have to take theoretical lessons as well

There is no mention of driving other than lessons with a properly qualified driving instructor.
    Since a few of my younger nieces and nephews are getting their licenses right now I can confirm that you can only drive a car with a full license.
    Other than that you can only take lessons to practice (and ONLY from the Fahrschule), but my wife mentions that the ADAC has special tracks where you can drive around supervised by one of their instructors. Of course that could never in a million years happen in Ireland, one tiny tip at 5 km/h, €15k payout, that would be the end of that. Or it would cost €100 per hour.

You may be thinking of someone who passes their test before their 18th birthday. Then they have to have someone with a license on board until they turn 18, but they have to have a license.
    Personally I think it's a good thing, because people get properly instructed and don't learn to drive from various relatives who say "don't mind the rules of the road, here's how you really drive".
    I fully agree with CiniO, just take all the lessons you need and pass your test.
    The next step is very important, get an insurance quote BEFORE you buy a car. The difference in quotes are insane. You buy the car based on insurance quotes.
    The whole learner permit thing is ridiculous and should be shredded. Once you drive in Germany and in Ireland you will see why. And you will feel the difference financially. Here young drivers pay more initially, but they don't get gutted like kippers and pushed off the road.
    Insurance companies in Ireland want you to start driving at age 30 with 10 years of experience. Before that you can kindly eff off.
    That this us fcuked in the head and can't work (same as learner permits) is irrelevant in an Irish context. It's the same logic as having a massive sports arena in the middle of town with no parking and then complain about the noise and the chaos.
    You will soon learn that the Irish love their self made problems and would never do anything to resolve them, because what will you complain about then?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Post advocating breaking the law removed, as well as follow-up posts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

You can do intensive driving courses in Germany. Google "Ferienfahrschule". It might be an option to spend two weeks there to learn as much as you can. If you are still registered in Germany you could get a German licence at the end of it and use it here or swap it.
    However, if you go that way, I would recommend a few lessons here as well to get used to driving on the left.

You can do intensive driving courses in Germany. Google "Ferienfahrschule". It might be an option to spend two weeks there to learn as much as you can. If you are still registered in Germany you could get a German licence at the end of it and use it here or swap it.
    However, if you go that way, I would recommend a few lessons here as well to get used to driving on the left.

I thought about it a while ago, but in the end I don't think it's a good idea bc I need to drive on the left side here.

Actually, it seems that the driving licence isn't really more expensive here than in Germany, even if I take the same amount of lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ace120387

I am in the same boat as you I have taken few lessons and I'm yet to take the driving test. Here are my two cents (you may know some of the below information already)

1. You need 12 lessons minimum after you get the learner permit.
    2. In my case after 12 lessons I felt that I won't be able to pass the test, so I guess you would need more than that.
    3. The cheapest I could find was 30 euro per hour if you pay in advance, but I bet if you book 20-30 lessons you can get a cheaper price.
    4. Based on my experience I think a person needs at least 30-40 hours of driving before the test. I feel much more confident after the 30 hour mark.
    5. I have been checking the insurance for cars for new drivers it starts around 2000 (for cars less than 6 years old) and can go up to to 4000 (for 12-15 year old cars). My plan is to buy a cheap car for around 1500 and get an insurance for around 3500. If I'm lucky to not involved in an accident the insurance will come down after 1 year.

So it can be done in around 6000-7000 for the first year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement