Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So overwhelmed - please help - costs for driving in Ireland

Options
  • 28-04-2018 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm in my 30s (f) and from Germany and never for a driving licence. But now I'm living in Ireland since a while and I feel like I really need one.

I passed the theoretical test and have an appointment to apply for the learner permit.
    But I am utterly confused as to what the costs are involved in actually having a car.

Can anyone tell me what insurance will be? I can't just be added to another person's insurance (don't know anyone in Ireland who has a car), I have to start from scratch.
    And what other costs will there be?

Someone recommended I buy a car as soon as I start taking lessons. Is this a good idea, especially regarding insurance?

Many thanks in advance

Alex

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Driving lessons are about 30 to 50 euro each and you need to get 12 as far as I know

Car depends on what you want to pay so let's say 3000 for your first car something small like a yaris or a VW polo since you are German

Licence is 55 euro for a 10 year licence

Motor tax on a small car approx 300 euro for a year

Insurance for a first time driver will be expensive but make sure you shop around. But I think its going to be 2000 euro at least.

So overall to start driving a 3000 euro car it will cost approx 6000

Insurance can be paid monthly and if you are in Ireland a long time and have the correct documentation you could borrow for the car too so your upfront costs will not be that high.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

or a VW polo since you are German

Rotfl

Op you can get obligatory 12 lessons, and get a car yourself to practice more.
    However getting a car before you have a full licence is probably going to be costly on insurance. Also bear in mind, that you won't be able to drive it on your own, but instead will have to have someone with you who holds full licence to accompany you.

Maybe it's better to just get few more lessons, and sign for a test and pass it on driving school car.
    Then once you have a full licence, it should be easier to obtain insurance at reasonable price (however it's still going to be very expensive comapring to what anyone in Germany could imagine insurance cost would be).

In short - Ireland is probably one of the worst countries to start learning to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

It would be very difficult to pass a driving test without being insured on a car, just from lessons.

You can’t legally drive unaccompanied until you pass your test. If you are caught doing so then it is likely to result in penalty points which will drive up your insurance premiums further.

This creates a significant barrier to entry for new drivers who don’t have someone (usually a parent) who can accompany them while driving on a regular basis, and ideally add them as a named driver on their insurance.

Another thing that’s worth knowing is that old cars cost more to insure, regardless of condition. The last I checked, once a car was older than 13 years, the cost to insure it increased significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dawanda

Guys, not really helping telling me that it's all expensive and difficult etc. I am stuck here in Ireland and I need a driving licence and I don't have a parent who can teach me and no money to buy a new or even relatively new car.

"It would be very difficult to pass a driving test without being insured on a car, just from lessons." not sure what you mean - difficult to pass with just the 12 obligatory lessons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

that is a ridiculous law in fairness. it means this person cant realistically drive over here because she probably knows no-one over here. surely there are people who come in from abroad, and havent set themselves up with friends or family yet. cant get my head around this logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

dawanda wrote: »
    Guys, not really helping telling me that it's all expensive and difficult etc. I am stuck here in Ireland and I need a driving licence and I don't have a parent who can teach me and no money to buy a new or even relatively new car.

"It would be very difficult to pass a driving test without being insured on a car, just from lessons." not sure what you mean - difficult to pass with just the 12 obligatory lessons?

There's not really much more that could be said. If you can pass the test just doing lessons and using the instructor's car then the insurance will be a bit cheaper (but still very expensive) but it depends on how you take to driving.

Personally, I bought my car and did the lessons in it but at that time it was cheaper and I could afford to do it. I don't think I could have done it without having my own car to get confidence but I know there are people who managed it with lessons alone.

If you do get your own car, you're going to need to have someone accompany you the whole time until you pass your test. Do you have anyone who can do that for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

emo72 wrote: »
    that is a ridiculous law in fairness. it means this person cant realistically drive over here because she probably knows no-one over here. surely there are people who come in from abroad, and havent set themselves up with friends or family yet. cant get my head around this logic.

The logic is that the accompanying driver is helping you drive safely.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Unfortunately that is the reality. It costs a lot to get a car when you are driving. But once youve got your test and a few years' experience the insurance will hopefully drop to around 7-900 a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I live in Ireland all my life. I had a financial services business, worked as a financial controller and am now an actuary. I don't have a new or even nearly new car. My car is 12 years old I bought it last year for 4000 euro. Nobody needs a new car or even close to being new. It's not about money.

My parents didn't teach me either.

Just buy a cheap car. Thousands of cheap cars for sale.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The logic is that the accompanying driver is helping you drive safely.

Yes. That makes sense. But what is this person supposed to do when they are on there own over here? Basically she can't drive. And I think it's a right everyone deserves. If you've reached the standard to pass the test, then you should be competent. Anyway don't want to drag this off topic. Can't see how she can drive if she needs to be accompanied.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Another thing that’s worth knowing is that old cars cost more to insure, regardless of condition. The last I checked, once a car was older than 13 years, the cost to insure it increased significantly.

Found this out twice recently..

I tried to move my wife from a 05 to a 04 but the insurance hike made it prohibitive. 2 very similar cars. No reason at all for the price hike other then one being a year older and the older one was in better condition.

Then I recently sold a 05 and bought a 08. I got €80 back on my insurance with only 5 months left.

The loading on older cars is massive.

It's also massively unfair.

I thought that's what we had the NCT for but that's another matter.

Anyway dawanda, give us an idea of budget and car and we'll give you an idea of the running costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

emo72 wrote: »
    Yes. That makes sense. But what is this person supposed to do when they are on there own over here? Basically she can't drive. And I think it's a right everyone deserves. If you've reached the standard to pass the test, then you should be competent. Anyway don't want to drag this off topic. Can't see how she can drive if she needs to be accompanied.

You’re not a secret a Healy Rae or something?
    We should have exemptions for people that don’t know someone to help them drive safely when they’re on a learner permit?

Cows Go µ wrote: »

If you do get your own car, you're going to need to have someone accompany you the whole time until you pass your test. Do you have anyone who can do that for you?

Unfortunately, no. I don't know anyone with a driving licence here. I would be ok to pay for someone to accompany me, but I assume that's only possible if I first buy a car. I am worried that I buy a car and then I don't pass the test and am stuck with a car, too

Swanner wrote: »

Anyway dawanda, give us an idea of budget and car and we'll give you an idea of the running costs.

Realistically, I would not be able to afford to pay more than 3000 Euros on a car

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Sorry OP but without a licensed driver to accompany you there is absolutely no point in buying a car as you won't be able to drive it legally on your own until you pass your test. You'll need to keep doing lessons until you pass your test. It's not the best way to get confidence in driving but it's your only way for now.

Caranica wrote: »
    Sorry OP but without a licensed driver to accompany you there is absolutely no point in buying a car as you won't be able to drive it legally on your own until you pass your test. You'll need to keep doing lessons until you pass your test. It's not the best way to get confidence in driving but it's your only way for now.

And I assume I won't be able to offer someone 15 Euros or what to accompany me and use THEIR car?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

And I assume I won't be able to offer someone 15 Euros or what to accompany me and use THEIR car?

It would be their insurance so absolutely no chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No, you wouldn't be insured in that case.

If you:
    Pass theory
    Buy car + Tax it + Insure it

Then you could offer to carpool with a colleague who has a full licence or something similar to make up the practice so that you're far more likely to pass the test 1st or 2nd time.

If you're talking €3000 for the car then insurance could be 30-50% of that for the first year. You may need to reserve some funding out of the purchase budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

ED E wrote: »
    If you're talking €3000 for the car then insurance could be 30-50% of that for the first year. You may need to reserve some funding out of the purchase budget.

Then factor in fuel, tyres, servicing and the odd thing going wrong..

You can buy a lovely car for a grand..

Insurance is the problem though..

No harm to pick a couple of cars and start getting quotes.

• Advertisement

Someone said it would be around 500 Euros a month for the first year including gas, insurance, tax or whatever it is and paying off the car. Does that sound realistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

You could get a cheap car for maybe €1,500 and insurance will probably be €3,000-4,000 but there's no use doing that if you don't have an accompanying full licensed driver who's had a license for more than two years.

Get your lessons for €300-400 then do a bunch of pre-tests or extra lessons on between. If you're comfortable in a car you'll pass your test provided you listen to the feedback and practice any issues. The test isn't overly difficult and if you're comfortable and confident in driving the car and being on the road you can focus on the silly reversing around the corner that nobody does.

Outside of that there's nothing you can realistically do other than befriend someone who has had a full licence for 2 years who will let you practice.

It would be very difficult to pass a driving test without being insured on a car, just from lessons.

You can’t legally drive unaccompanied until you pass your test. If you are caught doing so then it is likely to result in penalty points which will drive up your insurance premiums further.

This creates a significant barrier to entry for new drivers who don’t have someone (usually a parent) who can accompany them while driving on a regular basis, and ideally add them as a named driver on their insurance.

Ahh come on.

In most countries you are not allowed on a road in your car until you actually pass a test and hold a valid licence.
    Only way to learn there is with an instructor.
    And somehow people manage....
    Ireland and UK and one of very few exceptions.

So not having own car and not being able to practice on your own (or with friend or family member) can't really be that prohibitive.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You’re not a secret a Healy Rae or something?
    We should have exemptions for people that don’t know someone to help them drive safely when they’re on a learner permit?

i was talking about after the test is passed. wires crossed. no driver needed in that scenario. carry on lads. healey feckin rae:D

dawanda.

Things in Ireland look as follows. (from my observation)

Normally person passes theory test, and applies for driving permit.
    Then if it's teenager/young person they very often get added to their parent's policy and practice in their parent's car with their parent who is giving advices/teaching them (unfortunately often bad practices and habits as parent was never taught to drive properly).
    In case of older people who already work, they often get their own car and insure it under driving permit and practice with a friend. Again very often getting bad habits.
    Very often they also drive on their own, which is illegal but hoping not to get caught.
    Then such person get's 12 lessons from an instructor - who also very often passes bad habits to students as they also were never taught to drive properly and many of them never went through any drivering instructor training. They might though give good hints how to drive to pass a driving test.
    And later person keeps practicing with a friend or parent or on their own (illegally) and get's even more bad habits.

Finally passing a driving test and starting driving on their own this time legally, with plenty bad habits already.

As you're from Germany, you should be used to proper way, where you do proper training with a instructor, which consists of driving in many different driving conditions, as well various manouvers, etc... It's normally also way more than 12 hours (35 i think)
    And after completing this, you just sign in for a driving test and pass it.

Why don't you just try the same in Ireland, after finding proper good instructor who can give you proper lessons and teach you to drive adequately to pass a test.
    If you need to take 30 hours lessons from him - do.

CiniO wrote: »

As you're from Germany, you should be used to proper way, where you do proper training with a instructor, which consists of driving in many different driving conditions, as well various manouvers, etc... It's normally also way more than 12 hours (35 i think)
    And after completing this, you just sign in for a driving test and pass it.

Why don't you just try the same in Ireland, after finding proper good instructor who can give you proper lessons and teach you to drive adequately to pass a test.
    If you need to take 30 hours lessons from him - do.

True, all of these illegal options are really not for me. 30 hrs would be ok for me. I'm quite anxious about driving though. If I could get the extra lessons for cookies or 15 Euros or so, I'd want to have about 100 hrs before taking any test.

CiniO wrote: »
    As you're from Germany, you should be used to proper way, where you do proper training with a instructor, which consists of driving in many different driving conditions, as well various manouvers, etc... It's normally also way more than 12 hours (35 i think).

Just checked, it's the same as in Ireland nowadays - 12 hrs and you can practise with a licensed driver in addition to that.

But I think that must be rather new, it wasn't like this 20 years ago.

True, all of these illegal options are really not for me. 30 hrs would be ok for me. I'm quite anxious about driving though. If I could get the extra lessons for cookies or 15 Euros or so, I'd want to have about 100 hrs before taking any test.

Ohh come on.
    No one needs 100 hours before the test.

12h is obligatory. Cost is usually between €300 and €550 depending on driving school.

I'd say you might fork out for 24h lessons or 30h max and that will be more than plenty.
    Key is in finding proper good instructor.

All together with cost of your theory test, driving permit, about 25 to 30h lessons with a good instructor, renting a car from instructor for a test, test fee, and licence document fee, you should easily close it in €1500 which IMO is reasonable comparing with cost of obtaining driving licence in other EU countries.

Only problem is you have to wait 6 months from time you get driving permit to time you are allowed to take your driving test, which is a bit pita.

Just checked, it's the same as in Ireland nowadays - 12 hrs and you can practise with a licensed driver in addition to that.

But I think that must be rather new, it wasn't like this 20 years ago.

Have you any links?
    That's first time I hear that.
    And I was reading about it fairly recently.

Links in German are fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

How much driving are you doing.? ie your daily milage?
    Are you living in a city or the countryside.?
    Would you consider buying a moped (small motorcycle) to get you from A to B.
    Would only be a fraction of the cost of a car to buy and run and you can drive immediately on a provisional licence.

Advertisement