Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity

Options
  • 27-04-2018 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a problem giving to charities when they know what the CEO'S of these charities get for wages? i found out lately and will not give to any now, People always calling to the house expecting you to sign up for 5 a week/ month etc , when i bring this up some get quiet annoyed, others pretend they don't know anything about it, i know that someone has to run these charities but some ceo's are on stupid money , would be nice to give money and know a good % went to the right place,40+ years ago we were bringing pennies to school for the people in Africa here we are today and their still starving.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I don't think we've ever discussed charities before.Should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Jdo5EF2z_400x400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Try this ..

http://www.thejournal.ie/capuchin-day-centre-ceo-1243488-Dec2013/

I spent time with him at Ards and was impressed

I am blessed with extended family and their associates who work at the coal face of dire need. All I can spare goes directly to them and they live very simply and take no wages

So called "charity" has become big business .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Greyling

decky1 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a problem giving to charities when they know what the CEO'S of these charities get for wages? i found out lately and will not give to any now, People always calling to the house expecting you to sign up for 5 a week/ month etc , when i bring this up some get quiet annoyed, others pretend they don't know anything about it, i know that someone has to run these charities but some ceo's are on stupid money , would be nice to give money and know a good % went to the right place,40+ years ago we were bringing pennies to school for the people in Africa here we are today and their still starving.:mad:

I'd much rather give my money to someone who's time is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't give anything to any charity for that exact reason. When a charity comes along where 100% of donations go to the cause, then i'll maybe donate. Maybe. Probably not though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Well it's good your taking a stance, I'll sleep better at night. I was getting worried about you.

An old man came to my market stall with that story;his pennies.So I told him he had don so well that man had grown up an had his own baby and now needed help.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

There was a CEO of an charity a few years ago who people complained about. He was paid 100k a year. However he had increased their revenue through fund raising by millions.

He was worth it. They might have paid him more but think of the number of people who were helped.

I especially think that some charities should pay a lot. Think of MSF. Trying to run an organisation of that size needs someone who's highly skilled.

To sum up: I'm fine with them being paid loads if they're worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Some real chirpy chappy knocked at my door a while back and was trying to be a best mate type of character. He had the rain jacket, the lanyard, an iPad and smile that made me wanna punch him right into his wankpuffin-like face. Anyway, his opening line was “you look like a man who enjoys a cold one, do you drink chief?!”. Chief?!!!?? I’m just after nights and want none of this bollox. Also I think he may have called me fat. I said “why do you wanna know, what are ya getting at?” while also thinking who the fudge are ya. He goes, all chirpy of course, “for the price of a couple of pints, you could save 12 kids from superaids” or something to that effect. I just looked him dead in the eye and said “well chief, if you traded your iPad in for a clip board you could build a school probably”. He didn’t like that. I just said look I don’t give bank details out at my door to people I’ve never met, best of luck and goodnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Have a **** because charity begins at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

I don't think we've ever discussed charities before.Should be interesting.
    Its a forum.  On the Internet.  Almost everything has been discussed before.  Just not by the exact same group of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There is a reformed heroin connoisseur that goes around selling cakes in aid of something or other dont know if its a scam but the cakes are good

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Omackeral wrote: »
    Some real chirpy chappy knocked at my door a while back and was trying to be a best mate type of character. He had the rain jacket, the lanyard, an iPad and smile that made me wanna punch him right into his wankpuffin-like face. Anyway, his opening line was “you look like a man who enjoys a cold one, do you drink chief?!”. Chief?!!!?? I’m just after nights and want none of this bollox. Also I think he may have called me fat. I said “why do you wanna know, what are ya getting at?” while also thinking who the fudge are ya. He goes, all chirpy of course, “for the price of a couple of pints, you could save 12 kids from superaids” or something to that effect. I just looked him dead in the eye and said “well chief, if you traded your iPad in for a clip board you could build a school probably”. He didn’t like that. I just said look I don’t give bank details out at my door to people I’ve never met, best of luck and goodnight.

any that call here are the same, full of life and shag all else to do at 8.30 in the evening i say now 'if your looking for money don't waste your time talking.'

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There is a reformed heroin connoisseur that goes around selling cakes in aid of something or other dont know if its a scam but the cakes are good

Is that because there's heroin in them? I could see how it would make them more-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Is that because there's heroin in them? I could see how it would make them more-ish.

Don't be silly. Everybody knows that it's cocaine that goes into cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I don't trust them for that reason. I'm sure the big ones are legit but there are dodgy ones. When I lived in OZ a friend worked catering events and did a lot of charity functions. There are laws saying 86% (give or take) had to go to the people who needed it but it was still dodgy. There was one venue where the hiring fee for a one off function was something like 80k. Turns out it was a falling down hall and it was owned by the brother of the charity head. I give blood as my contribution. I also get a kick out of the fact there's a bunch of Aussies running around with my good ol' Celtic blood running thru them. That thought got me thru all the Paddy and Potato jokes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭EdEd

Thanks to Angela Kerins I refuse to give money to charity.

El Weirdo wrote: »

What:eek: there was me thinking it was Hash.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

Sounds like a cliché but charity begins at home for me. I'd be much more comfortable helping a local cause, eg. doing a fundraiser for a local family to adapt a house for a disabled child, as opposed to direct debiting to Trocaire or whoever. I'm pretty broke too for the next year and get no support from anything, so it's hard to be motivated to donate anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Concern Worldwide = 90.7c in every euro donated, for example, is sent to relief and development in the areas its needed most. 6.7c on fundraising, 2.1c on education and .5c on governance including salaries of over 250 staff in Dublin. Let me say again - one half of one cent on governance!

For six years in a row, Concern's annual reports have won the Published Accounts Award for charities and not-for-profit organisations.

The award is organised by the Chartered Accountants Leinster Society and is for “excellence in financial reporting.”

Let's not tar all with one brush, insight is valuable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I will give money to the RNLI and the Irish Cancer Society.

I will never, ever give a cent to any charity that pays chuggers €14 a hour to annoy me in the street or while I am doing my shopping in Tesco etc.

They need to sign up 156 people a month (giving €7 per month) just to cover a chuggers wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,069 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

El Weirdo wrote: »

Cocaine. You mean raisins

BrookieD wrote: »
    Concern Worldwide = 90.7c in every euro donated, for example, is sent to relief and development in the areas its needed most. 6.7c on fundraising, 2.1c on education and .5c on governance including salaries of over 250 staff in Dublin. Let me say again - one half of one cent on governance!

For six years in a row, Concern's annual reports have won the Published Accounts Award for charities and not-for-profit organisations.

The award is organised by the Chartered Accountants Leinster Society and is for “excellence in financial reporting.”

good call there , pity they were'nt all like that.

BrookieD wrote: »

Open to interpretation. Very misleading indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

decky1 wrote:
    Does anyone have a problem giving to charities when they know what the CEO'S of these charities get for wages? i found out lately and will not give to any now, People always calling to the house expecting you to sign up for 5 a week/ month etc , when i bring this up some get quiet annoyed, others pretend they don't know anything about it, i know that someone has to run these charities but some ceo's are on stupid money , would be nice to give money and know a good % went to the right place,40+ years ago we were bringing pennies to school for the people in Africa here we are today and their still starving.

When certain sectors of society entered the charity sector, effectively turning it into a business, it spelled the end of an extremely important element of human existence. It's extremely important they exist, but think wisely before donating, if you feel coerced during the process, walk away and feel no guilt or shame. Rather than donating your money to charities, maybe consider offering one of the most valuable things in life, time, your time.

The salaries don't bother me.

Certain countries' absolute lack of ability to organise themselves properly bothers me. Religions not advocating contraceptives bothers me.

It's not on us, or any charity, to fix Africa. Every success story in that continent has come from stable government. If other countries there can't do that, that's on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I was going to start up my own "charity related" thread, but I'm going to piggy-back on this rather excellent one instead.

Genuine question - has anyone else noticed all the schools/sports clubs/drama groups etc who are operating (masquerading?) as charities? My workplace selects 2 registered charities per year to fundraise for, both of 2018's nominations are schools (not special needs ones btw).

It used to be all about Africa/the poor/children or animals in need - what happened? Now it's irish dancing schools shaking tins at harassed grocery shoppers and sponsored walks in aid of soccer clubs. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I've worked in the charity sector for the past ten years. Waste is the norm and was one of the reasons I left my last job. It's sickening to hear your manager on the radio complain about the lack of help for people when you see that same person put personal items on the company expense account.

I would encourage people to donate their time if they want to help. Don't give money. Most charities are crying out for boots on the ground and you will have more of an impact on the service users that way. Even a few hours a week makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Genuine question - has anyone else noticed all the schools/sports clubs/drama groups etc who are operating (masquerading?) as charities? My workplace selects 2 registered charities per year to fundraise for, both of 2018's nominations are schools (not special needs ones

You won’t pay to send the local underage soccer club to a tournament in Germany and a free holiday for the tag along parents and coaches?

Heartless :pac:

• Advertisement

Sounds like a cliché but charity begins at home for me. I'd be much more comfortable helping a local cause, eg. doing a fundraiser for a local family to adapt a house for a disabled child, as opposed to direct debiting to Trocaire or whoever. I'm pretty broke too for the next year and get no support from anything, so it's hard to be motivated to donate anything!

I’m all for supporting local good causes, but your example wouldn’t be one. There are grants available for adapting homes to cater for a disability.

Advertisement