We have updated our Privacy Notice, you can read the updated document here
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Luas Finglas

2456712

Comments

  • #2


    CatInABox wrote: »

    This probably marks the end of the Bray extension as well, the lack of a Metro upgrade really put paid to that idea.

    Bray hardly needs a Luas when the area is already accessible by Dart.


  • #2


    Seems like an election promise. Two years planning on making a plan. Now they will have a rough plan by next year.


    It’s happening! Photo with a poster


  • #2


    CatInABox wrote: »
    Also, Fingluas. Jesus Christ. I can't shake my head enough at that portmanteau.

    There used to be an old joke as to why the Dart did not go to Finglas. Something about Finglas Area something or other.


  • #2


    Charlie19 wrote: »
    Bray hardly needs a Luas when the area is already accessible by Dart.

    There's some good development land between the two, and would connect Bray to Sandyford, one of the big employment centres on the southside.


  • #2


    BDI wrote: »
    Seems like an election promise. Two years planning on making a plan. Now they will have a rough plan by next year.


    It’s happening! Photo with a poster

    The planning for the Emerging Preferred Route is happening, it's in the GDA Transport Strategy. The strategy didn't envisage it happening this early but there's room for change in it. Staff were supposed to be moved to this project from MetroLink late this year. This is all in the media so far.

    The Draft Implementation Strategy says Finglas, Bray, Lucan and Poolbeg will be fully designed by 2027. The National Development Plan allows for this. If the NTA decides to design Finglas first, that's not really an issue. It's probably the easiest of the 4.

    But here's the rub. The NDP doesn't allow for construction. Not before 2027.


  • #2


    Peregrine wrote: »
    The planning for the Emerging Preferred Route is happening, it's in the GDA Transport Strategy. The strategy didn't envisage it happening this early but there's room for change in it. Staff were supposed to be moved to this project from MetroLink late this year. This is all in the media so far.

    The Draft Implementation Strategy says Finglas, Bray, Lucan and Poolbeg will be fully designed by 2027. The National Development Plan allows for this. If the NTA decides to design Finglas first, that's not really an issue. It's probably the easiest of the 4.

    But here's the rub. The NDP doesn't allow for construction. Not before 2027.

    Yes, it does seem like electioneering. What's involved in changing the NDP?


  • #2


    CatInABox wrote: »
    Yes, it does seem like electioneering. What's involved in changing the NDP?

    The NDP is to be reviewed in 2022. It could be put in then

    A change of Government could change things too


  • #2


    marno21 wrote: »
    The NDP is to be reviewed in 2022. It could be put in then

    A change of Government could change things too

    Nothing major then. Rock could run on a promise of getting it put into the NDP, and he'd get support from his superiors.


  • #2


    CatInABox wrote: »
    Nothing major then. Rock could run on a promise of getting it put into the NDP, and he'd get support from his superiors.

    Absolutely. Depends on how the Metr/DART/BusConnects spending goes too


  • #2


    CatInABox wrote: »
    Yes, it does seem like electioneering. What's involved in changing the NDP?

    Sort of. Rock's tweet is spot on (well, 'is happening' could be intentionally misleading). The planning is ongoing and the EPR should be published next year. That's substantial. It's been over 10 years since we got an EPR for a Luas extension.

    He's been campaigning for that. What influence he actually had over making the NTA do Finglas first, we'll never know. Like I said, it's probably the easiest of the four and he could have just gotten lucky with the NTA wanting a good news story.

    I would imagine he knows that he needs the NDP changed too. Although, I don't think he's forthcoming about that to voters. I think he just needs government buy in for that. It may be an easy project but it's still a good bit of money that will have to be found sooner than expected. It's not impossible. He has time though. The money for construction only has to be found in a few years. Without it, I presume they'll pause just before ABP stage. Same goes for all the Luas extensions.


  • #2


    marno21 wrote: »
    Absolutely. Depends on how the Metr/DART/BusConnects spending goes too

    More like it depends on how the road spending goes.


  • #2


    The Finglas extension could be done with little or no extra rolling stock so that makes it the obvious one to go with first.


  • #2


    Muahahaha wrote: »
    It would be crazy for it to terminate with a P&R outside the M50 when it is just a few kilometers short of the airport terminals. I think any Finglas Luas needs to terminate in the airport as a supplement to a future Metrolink, not as replacement. As it stands the large parts of Dublin 11 and Dublin 15 cannot get to the airport on PT without going to the city centre first.

    You might be losing the run of yourself - the proposed terminus is a very long way from the terminals, and might even need to be tunnelled there.


  • #2


    Very very curious on how the current end of line at Broombridge is to be extended.


  • #2


    Any idea of what the rough route to Finglas would be? Would it actually even end up in the centre of Finglas?


  • #2


    Zebra3 wrote: »
    Very very curious on how the current end of line at Broombridge is to be extended.

    Same. Between the rail line and the canal being immediately adjacent, plus Tolka valley/the Tolka itself a few hundred meters North, it’s an awkward project that’s for sure.


  • #2


    There used to be an old joke as to why the Dart did not go to Finglas. Something about Finglas Area something or other.

    This is getting off topic, but there's a Swiss railway system with that name:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_Bus_and_Rail_Company_of_Ticino


  • #2


    ncounties wrote: »
    Any idea of what the rough route to Finglas would be? Would it actually even end up in the centre of Finglas?

    The map from 10 years ago showed it leaving broombridge, making a sharp right and going over the Tolka valley fields.

    It then stopped as they couldn’t decide if they wanted it running to the back of Tesco or up the dual carriage way.

    There’s vast empty grass lands just off helenas road now, ever since the filled in the valley so in theory could be a stop, Park and ride etc

    Dropped pin
    Near St Helena's Rd, Northside, Dublin
    https://goo.gl/maps/3H4FnbK61w8Fxh7m8


  • #2


    ncounties wrote: »
    Any idea of what the rough route to Finglas would be? Would it actually even end up in the centre of Finglas?

    https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1193166660259196928

    This is based on what they looked at during the first go around. It'll change, but some elements won't. It'll turn north right at Broombridge station, go through the Dublin Industrial Estate there, then most likely an elevated bridge over the tolka valley. From there, it's anyone's guess.

    Dublin Industrial Estate is in the process of being rezoned, so it's days as an Industrial Estate are numbered, I'd say it's going to be the first to be rezoned, what with the public transport connections it has.

    Not sure how they'll deal with turning north/the height difference at Broombridge, elevate the entire station maybe? Move the station into the heart of the industrial estate?


  • #2


    Thanks kceire/catinabox. I guess the best way of future proofing it would be to end it in such a way that it could be extended North Westward in the future, perhaps to the area around Huntswood - although currently heavy industry related, could provide development space in the future.


  • #2


    I’d be building it through the greenfield to the west of finglas village if possible. I know it’s the old dump, if it’s feasible to build the line through there , you can build thousands of apartments and possibly a new town centre either side of the tracks...


  • #2


    Idbatterim wrote: »
    I’d be building it through the greenfield to the west of finglas village if possible. I know it’s the old dump, if it’s feasible to build the line through there , you can build thousands of apartments and possibly a new town centre either side of the tracks...

    You wouldn’t be able to build apartments on top of the old dump.
    Having said that I think this alignment would be good if they were to provide multiple sports pitches within the old dump site. They could extend it over the m50 to tie in with metro west at abbotstown and the growing national sports campus.
    Splitting the line between this and the route easy of Finglas at Broombridge (or Ballyboggan Rd to be precise) is probably the best solution overall


  • #2


    The old dump is still an eco hazard. No one will live on that for centuries.


  • #2


    If we are planning dense apartment building surely the Metro North corridor should be top of the list, and the Dublin Industrial Estate being closer the city would be a better idea for the Green Line?

    The Luas lines should be a lesson in relation to trying to do too much with trams that run on streets.

    DART Underground and the vast prairies that run along the Kildare Line are another strong contender.


  • #2


    There is the possibility long term that this line could be upgraded to metro with a tunnel south of Broadstone potentially going towards UCD


  • #2


    MrAbyss wrote: »
    The old dump is still an eco hazard. No one will live on that for centuries.

    This is Ireland......


  • #2


    Idbatterim wrote: »
    I’d be building it through the greenfield to the west of finglas village if possible. I know it’s the old dump, if it’s feasible to build the line through there , you can build thousands of apartments and possibly a new town centre either side of the tracks...

    I used to have the misfortune of living in Northampton, and there was a Cineworld there that was built on top of an old dump. Every other year the building needs underpinning, and the car park is an absolute joke - you can just about make out the unevenness here. I know it's an nice idea but former dumps should not be built upon.


  • #2


    ncounties wrote: »
    I used to have the misfortune of living in Northampton, and there was a Cineworld there that was built on top of an old dump. Every other year the building needs underpinning, and the car park is an absolute joke - you can just about make out the unevenness here. I know it's an nice idea but former dumps should not be built upon.

    The Irish Glass Bottle site was a massive dump but was built upon. The IGB Co had huge multistory buildings and a few furnaces.

    It is now intended to be built upon for housing. Hope they reinforce the foundations.


  • #2


    The Irish Glass Bottle site was a massive dump but was built upon. The IGB Co had huge multistory buildings and a few furnaces.

    It is now intended to be built upon for housing. Hope they reinforce the foundations.

    I think the Irish Glass Bottle site is a different kettle of fish though. That area stopped being used for landfill in the 70s so wouldn't have gotten the kind of plastic and chemicals in household waste which came later. It was also before rampant consumerism and disposable culture which has existed for several decades now. Most of the hazards at the IGBS were from industry and these have been remediated.


  • #2


    In the graphic what is the 700M walk from Cabra connecting with?


Society & Culture