Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch Firmware Discussion

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

madmoe wrote: »
    Mine is on 5.0, had a quick look after I bought it. How about yours?

I haven't bought my 2nd Switch yet. My current one is 5.0.2 but I was hoping to get lucky and buy a Switch on 3.0! I saw online that the early bundles might have low firmware out of the box, so I think the Splatoon bundle might be the best bet, if somewhere has had one sitting around the back for a while. Maybe a display model.

The other option is an overpriced CEX trade-in thats been sitting there a while...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I thought that, because of the nature of the exploit, the system firmware isn't going to be much a barrier to gaining full access?
    A bit like the DS and the PSP before it, it's only a matter of time before all Switch systems running on the current hardware, is going to be exploitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yeah, it's a hardware exploit - what difference does low/high firmware make?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Its all about getting into recovery mode to do that hacking.
    With 3.0.1 and above, you need that paperclip sticking in the side of your switch each time you reboot. I don't like the idea of that.

Also, on 5+, it's meant to be more annoying/trickier to perform the hack in the first place.

So the handiest, most maintenance free firmware is 3.0, afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭Inviere

The_B_Man wrote: »
    With 3.0.1 and above, you need that paperclip sticking in the side of your switch each time you reboot. I don't like the idea of that.

Also, on 5+, it's meant to be more annoying/trickier to perform the hack in the first place.

Pretty much sums it up, though I think I read people are working on improving the hack so that it higher firmwares won't need any additional work over lower ones.

Progress has been quick on Atmosphere lately, and it was wise to go open-source with it. They now have the ability to launch any app from the sd card, as opposed to only those within the os itself. They also reckon it's about 1-2 weeks needed, & they'll have CFW booting itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The_B_Man wrote: »

Matter of time until the kinks on 5.0 are ironed out and you can flash 3.0 tbf, I wouldn't be dropping major money on anything at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Inviere wrote: »
    Pretty much sums it up, though I think I read people are working on improving the hack so that it higher firmwares won't need any additional work over lower ones.

Progress has been quick on Atmosphere lately, and it was wise to go open-source with it. They now have the ability to launch any app from the sd card, as opposed to only those within the os itself. They also reckon it's about 1-2 weeks needed, & they'll have CFW booting itself.

From the comments on this video it looks as though firmware version is irrelevant (apart from later ones needing the jig-amajig)

I've been meaning to get a switch for a few months now, should I be bolting for Amazon straight away? Or should I hold off? I can't decide...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Just saw that the Switch is listed under the devices RetroArch runs on, anyone know any more about that?

Just saw that the Switch is listed under the devices RetroArch runs on, anyone know any more about that?

It runs on the Switch under HBL (Homebrew Launcher). Coincidentally, I see the Atmosphere CFW is now booting HBL while running on 5.0.1. Noice :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Advertisement

Snes Classic Mini anyone?

It's incomplete at the mo, with no hardware acceleration. T'will happen though, and become a launcher for sd based content apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

My jig arrived on Friday. Now to find some time to give it a lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Grassey wrote: »
    My jig arrived on Friday. Now to find some time to give it a lash.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

This video popped up on my YT feed, talking about some SX Pro device. I've no interest in hacking my own Switch so wasn't keeping up to date on all the goings on, but the process of how it works is interesting enough.

Bit of a bump :o

Had a blast of the new Switch Virtual Console release of RetroArch for the Switch. Wow, an absolute game changer for the Switch in terms of homebrew. The shaders look really nice too (they look way better in person, my phone camera didn't do a great job of capturing the image properly)! Very simple setup & useage, I'm truly impressed with it!

IMG-20181015-184635.jpg

IMG-20181015-184653.jpg

IMG-20181015-184740.jpg

IMG-20181015-184754.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How easy is to get running and how's the SNES emulation?

How easy is to get running and how's the SNES emulation?

Very, and perfect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Very, and perfect :)

It literally amazes me that companies keep doing this. Emualtors clearly work. Why don't you just bloody release them officially!?

This is how you stop encouraging piracy. I've not pirated a song since Spotify. Make the service good and affordable and most people will pay for it.

chrislad wrote: »
    Make the service good and affordable and most people will pay for it.

Indeed. I'm not here to advocate for piracy, but I have to hold my hands up and question Nintendo if they're going to charge me, again, for games I've bought several times over at this stage. I've no interest whatsoever in online play, so I'll be damned if I'm buying the same roms time and time again. RetroArch on the Switch is absolutely perfect for my needs...if I could have paid Nintendo for that, I'd have gladly done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Advertisement

Indeed. I'm not here to advocate for piracy, but I have to hold my hands up and question Nintendo if they're going to charge me, again, for games I've bought several times over at this stage. I've no interest whatsoever in online play, so I'll be damned if I'm buying the same roms time and time again. RetroArch on the Switch is absolutely perfect for my needs...if I could have paid Nintendo for that, I'd have gladly done so.

And especially since one of the games they sold on the Virtual Console was found to be an illegally downloaded ROM!!!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-18-did-nintendo-download-a-mario-rom-and-sell-it-back-to-us

bfa1509 wrote: »
    And especially since one of the games they sold on the Virtual Console was found to be an illegally downloaded ROM!!!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-18-did-nintendo-download-a-mario-rom-and-sell-it-back-to-us

There's debate about that, but even if it was an internet based rom per se, Nintendo being the copyright holder, I guess there's no harm done.

There's debate about that, but even if it was an internet based rom per se, Nintendo being the copyright holder, I guess there's no harm done.

True. I was thinking more along the lines of pirated roms getting Nintendo's stamp of quality!

Advertisement