Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Bets Are Off (RTE One)

Options
  • 23-04-2018 9:41pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Documentary about gambling with Baz Ashmawy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Rte One doesn't seem to be working on saorview. I wanted to watch it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Rte One doesn't seem to be working on saorview. I wanted to watch it :/

Should be live on RTE Player also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Should be live on RTE Player also.

What time is it on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

What time is it on

started at 9.35pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

scary stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

The last time RTE tried to address the gambling issue that clown Joe O'Shea made a balls of it.....

I don't like this Baz fella, but at least they're addressing the actual illness/addiction this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Ireland Number 1 for online Gamblers (losers)
    Ireland Number 3 for Gambling, behind Singapore and Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Baz is a very insincere tv presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Baz trying too hard to be the focus of this, shouldve cut out the constant shots of him dressed like a 16 year old walking through back streets and just narrate the bloody thing. Baz is trying too hard to be cool. Not learning anything I didn't know from an interview Niall McNamee did a few years ago.

Watching the show afterwardsd,and the stuff about online is wrong.You have to prove you are over 18 with passport and driving liecense and have to put proff of address.not very informed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Garphiel

Claire Byrne has Oisin McConville on now discussing this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Watching the show afterwardsd,and the stuff about online is wrong.You have to prove you are over 18 with passport and driving liecense and have to put proff of address.not very informed.

Only in very recent times this has become mandatory. For instance I've never supplied documentation to BetStars/Pokerstars and have made several deposits and withdrawals. The vast majority of the time they'd allow you deposit and bet away like mad without any ID or bank statement PDF. It's when you withdraw that they'd request ID, but so many people would never have a cent to withdraw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I'm not sure how it works but a few weeks ago there was 2 kids no more then 15 or 16 sitting across from me on the bus punting away on phones.

Only in very recent times this has become mandatory. For instance I've never supplied documentation to BetStars/Pokerstars and have made several deposits and withdrawals. The vast majority of the time they'd allow you deposit and bet away like mad without any ID or bank statement PDF. It's when you withdraw that they'd request ID, but so many people would never have a cent to withdraw.

I have always had to prove my age on all betting sites this is going back years now.I don't use betstars/pokerstars so can't comment on that.
    That is true that when you try to withdrawal they nail you for the information but even a bad gambler gets wins and trys to withdrawal they will hit a brick wall.

Anyway my original comment still stands can't just open an account with a bookies and tick a box like they said in the show ,they are steps and procedures and information to be gathered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,667 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Baz is a moron. Walks around like a 14 year old student. He can't seem to talk without shouting. Acts like everyone is deaf and stupid. Seems to be trying to copy Gerry Ryan's style of speaking. A documentary like this needed someone with more seriousness about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Baz is a moron. Walks around like a 14 year old student. He can't seem to talk without shouting. Acts like everyone is deaf and stupid. Seems to be trying to copy Gerry Ryan's style of speaking. A documentary like this needed someone with more seriousness about them.

Agreed. Presenter wise, it was like a Baz "does" Vogue copycat.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,221 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Paddy Power sponsored recent Ireland soccer matches on RTE and also horse racing, RTE should get their own house in order before preaching to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I have always had to prove my age on all betting sites this is going back years now.I don't use betstars/pokerstars so can't comment on that.
    That is true that when you try to withdrawal they nail you for the information but even a bad gambler gets wins and trys to withdrawal they will hit a brick wall.

Anyway my original comment still stands can't just open an account with a bookies and tick a box like they said in the show ,they are steps and procedures and information to be gathered.

you could sign up & deposit + bet no bother. unless it changed very recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Paddypower used to bring that guy to events once they realised he was easy money, exec boxes and all the trappings that come with that. Ethically that is pretty deplorable

batistuta9 wrote: »
    you could sign up & deposit + bet no bother. unless it changed very recently

Sure whats the point when you cant withdraw,As i said before even the worse gambler will have winning streaks and without withdrawing the cash it pointless setting up the account.Been awhile since I was under 18 but Id say most are cash poor and if they have money in there account then they will withdraw,there not gambling every penny without winning and not wanting to withdraw.

• Advertisement

threein99 wrote: »
    Paddypower used to bring that guy to events once they realised he was easy money, exec boxes and all the trappings that come with that. Ethically that is pretty deplorable

That guy is a good customer, Lots of companies have perks of different kinds for good customers, Premium seats at events, Booze etc. Why is that not ethically deplorable?

That guy is a good customer, Lots of companies have perks of different kinds for good customers, Premium seats at events, Booze etc. Why is that not ethically deplorable?

One look at his betting history would tell you he was a mug. Are you naive enough to think they can't tell a losing account from a winning account ?

What they did is like giving an alcoholic a job in a bar, he was ruining his life and they facilitated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

One look at his betting history would tell you he was a mug. Are you naive enough to think they can't tell a losing account from a winning account ?

What they did is like giving an alcoholic a job in a bar, he was ruining his life and they facilitated it.

It’s well known they shut down and ban winning accounts. They don’t want winners taking money off them. Just mugs losing money.

It’s well known they shut down and ban winning accounts. They don’t want winners taking money off them. Just mugs losing money.

Exactly, I have two friends who are big gamblers and have had their accounts shutdown for winning far less than what he was betting.

It's obvious from this comment that you have no idea how risk management in a bookmakers works, and that's coming from someone who has experience in the area, But I'm not going to sit here arguing.

It's obvious from this comment that you have no idea how risk management in a bookmakers works, and that's coming from someone who has experience in the area, But I'm not going to sit here arguing.

Paddypower have limited the online accounts of two of my friends after a couple of big wins. No where near the size of the bets that guy was putting on, the difference between the two is he was giving all his winnings and more back.

Paddypower have limited the online accounts of two of my friends after a couple of big wins. No where near the size of the bets that guy was putting on, the difference between the two is he was giving all his winnings and more back.

Bookmakers don't limit customers based on their winnings, they limit based on betting patterns, If a customer is consistently backing selections at bigger prices then the true price, they'll make money long term, these are the guys bookmakers are weary of.

I've had 5 or 6 accounts closed, not because I was winning but because the business was bad, 1 got closed after 1 bet, I backed a horse at 40/1 when the market was around 12/1, horse didn't win but account was gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Bookmakers don't limit customers based on their winnings, they limit based on betting patterns, If a customer is consistently backing selections at bigger prices then the true price, they'll make money long term, these are the guys bookmakers are weary of.

I've had 5 or 6 accounts closed, not because I was winning but because the business was bad, 1 got closed after 1 bet, I backed a horse at 40/1 when the market was around 12/1, horse didn't win but account was gone.
    40/1, is that not their error/problem?

You'd need to be screen short everything incase you win but they delete account rather than pay?

Kuva wrote: »
    40/1, is that not their error/problem?

You'd need to be screen short everything incase you win but they delete account rather than pay?

Yes, It was a misprice, But they recognised that the business was poor, and as a result closed the account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Sure whats the point when you cant withdraw,As i said before even the worse gambler will have winning streaks and without withdrawing the cash it pointless setting up the account.Been awhile since I was under 18 but Id say most are cash poor and if they have money in there account then they will withdraw,there not gambling every penny without winning and not wanting to withdraw.

you can still bet away with it, lose it with no checks for ID. which will happen the majority of people as they're bad gamblers

that's the real issue, you should have to prove ID before placing a bet not if you decide to withdraw

Advertisement