Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I got stung just below my eyebrow by a ba$tard wasp last year. I panicked waiting for my eye to swell to the size of a tennis ball and contemplated calling the wife to get the team car to collect her newly appointed quasimodo. But in the end I was perfectly fine after 15 mins. My over reaction was more than the sting!!

Yeah my memory of stings over the years was a bee was worse to me than the wasp. Though I was able to run down and lash vinegar on it after I'd pried the bastard from my leg. I don't recall the itch I have at the minute from previous stings though.

Herself was laughing hysterically throughout my ordeal when I leapt out of bed with a wasp stuck to my calf.

I've been stung by wasps a few times and only ever experienced a sting - never an itch. I have had itches from midges and mossies. Never been stung by a bee.

Fun fact for bee stings don't put vinegar on them use milk as they are acidic, wasp stings are more alkaline.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I managed to uncover a wasp hive a few years ago and I ended up with about 15 stings, mainly to my head. It hurt like f***.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

What's the most central bike shop in Galway city centre - one you can stroll to from Shop Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Tortured here with wasps and I can't find the nest. Thankfully none of us has been stung yet especially the toddlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

There is one on prospect hill, the nearest after that would be Walsh's on the headford road, then Kearney's after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Today's lesson - pedestrians, avoid cycle lanes!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭cletus

@joujoujou I'm not sure if that's the lesson to be taken from that video...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Each to their own! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭ARX

It's ok, he has his hazards on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I found one in the composter. Quite a common spot for wasps' nests, apparently.

I see the old attachments are back, so images are there in old posts now. At least, images that were attachments. Which is good, as a lot of technical advice had images in the posts.

I opened the shed in January last year and this fell as I pulled the door. While I detest wasps, I couldn’t help being impressed by such amazing construction from small insects.

Where did the Judge who had been wearing that go??? 😁

EDIT: A week after my sting, and the itching has only just subsided was still tearing the leg of myself this morning btu it's grand now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Does anyone know how to find old threads on this new boards platform. I'm specifically looking for the cyclocross threads of old, as it's nearly that time of year again, but the search function is just pure terrible.

Better of using google search boards.ie + cyclocross etc. one of your old threads was on the first page of results.

Yeah, duckduckgo works as well now. It used to return an old-style link that wouldn't resolve but now

cyclocross site:boards.ie

in the search box gives you results like

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭buffalo

If I was any good at software development, I'd love to set up a bot that tweeted everytime he used the word 'lie' or 'liar':

• Advertisement

Or "lieing". They were the three search terms I used for this five-month sweep:

I do know how to do this actually. There's a scriptable Twitter client called TTYtter, but I'm not sure how well it handles later iterations of the Twitter interface, and I don't have time to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

stung by a bee a couple of days ago left the sting in me ! dont react much to insect bites. but the OH does so slapped some anthisan creme on sorted in an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Road Traffic Regulation query:

Junction - 4 roads - let's say north, south, east, west.

South, east and west are public roads governed by traffic lights.

North is the entrance/exit to a private premises - not governed by lights.

I'm at south intending to turn east (i.e. right turn)

Motorist is at north intending to turn east (i.e. his left/my right)

I have a solid green - motorist has no light.

I wait for a second as 'normally' he would have right of way as he isn't crossing the road.

He hesitates so I make my move but then he surges out cutting me off and pointing to his chest as if saying 'I have right of way'.

Fair enough - no big deal but it just got me curious - does a motorist exiting from a private road with no traffic lights have the same rights as those on public roads at the same junction and governed by lights?

I would think that traffic coming from a private road with no signals has lowest priority. That said, in your example does the 'give way to traffic from the right' not apply - i.e. treat the junction as a roundabout....?

I'd assume you had right of way. Emerging from a private premises vs. already on the main road.

Not official, and a British website,but:

"Turning left and right at crossroads is exactly the same as at ‘T’ junctions and is relatively straightforward. The priority is with the traffic on the major road and you must wait until your way is clear and you have plenty of time to pull out safely. "

https://alfiesdrivingschool.com/right-way-crossroads/

Were there any road markings on his side? There probably should be a yield triangle there for clarity.

I don't know. I'll have to enter and exit again sometime to see what it's like from that perspective.

BTW - I should have added that I was on the bike not the car (not that it should make any difference to the rules).

• Advertisement

I've one such junction in mind I think but it's been 10+ years since I lived there I've no idea if I'm recalling the layout correctly and what it's current state is. One I'd in mind was at Marlay Park where the GAA club had an exit onto what should have been a T on Grange Rd that caused me some troubles both on the bike and in the car.

Advertisement