Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

10 km remaining in the Paris-Nice stage today if anyone is thinking of watching. Live on Eurosport

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

10 km remaining in the Paris-Nice stage today if anyone is thinking of watching. Live on Eurosport

Do you know how many started the race this morning?

Israel Start up pulled their remaining 4 and a few of the Dane's headed home due to the border closures at home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Remember race spoilers please, a fore warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Do you know how many started the race this morning?

Rob Hatch made reference to there being less than 100 riders in the peloton. Don't know if that was the figure from the start this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Myself and the eldest strolled into Aldi this evening around 8ish and were the only ones there. Fully stocked shelves all to ourselves. Lad at the till was showing me pictures on his phone from the other days carnage and telling me about the abuse he got when he needed wee and had to close the till for 2 minutes ffs :eek:

I should have cleaned them out of bog roll shouldn't I!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

There'll be some Craic on Monday in the Off-licences, when it's announced that all pubs will close from Tuesday.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    There'll be some Craic on Monday in the Off-licences, when it's announced that all pubs will close from Tuesday.

Indeed, popped into my local one as I went passed on the way home from work on thursday. Place was dead, person behind the till said it was mental from Leos speech up until about 6pm. Nothing like the thought of spending prolonged periods of time with your own kids to really drive our national blood alcohol levels through the roof. Amateurs, as someone who once had a bad hangover looking after kids, never again, there is no greater pain.

My daughter got put on notice yesterday, I feel bad for her as its her first job after becoming a mother and it was quite tough to arrange childcare, and get back into the swing of things. I imagine it will only be a week, if even before the majority of the staff in her place are let go. This said, if she has made a good impression, it will serve her well in a few months when things slowly return to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was wondering whether some of the deals the HSE is supposedly trying to do with hotels, hostels, etc., might include moving those known in some quarters as 'bed blockers' out of hospitals into such temporary facilities. if that was to turn out that way, i suspect the HSE would be taking on a lot of temporary staff to run them.

CramCycle wrote: »
    My daughter got put on notice yesterday, I feel bad for her as its her first job after becoming a mother and it was quite tough to arrange childcare, and get back into the swing of things. I imagine it will only be a week, if even before the majority of the staff in her place are let go. This said, if she has made a good impression, it will serve her well in a few months when things slowly return to normal.

That's really shyte for her :( But I imagine when things pick up she'll be on the top of the list to go back.

Really awful for people in precarious employment. They should suspend mortgage or loan repayments for a while until we're out the other end of things.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The guy tweeting said transport was banned, the article says

Cycling for transport is still currently allowed in both Spain and Italy, but the position on the ground is confused—El País reports that some police officers in Madrid have been stopping all cyclists, including those riding to work and to shops.

“The bicycle is allowed to reach the place of work, the place of residence, as well as to reach the shops of first necessity and to carry out physical activity,” states Italian government advice, adding that sport cycling is allowed but only if cyclists ride at least one meter apart.

I've seen some mixed reporting on it today. Some saying pro's were turned around when they tried to leave Girona this morning for training.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I was planning to buy a new bike next March, reckon pricez will be through the roof if/when this pandemic ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭buffalo

On a lighter note...

505508.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

i was wondering whether some of the deals the HSE is supposedly trying to do with hotels, hostels, etc., might include moving those known in some quarters as 'bed blockers' out of hospitals into such temporary facilities. if that was to turn out that way, i suspect the HSE would be taking on a lot of temporary staff to run them.
    I just can't see where they are going to get the staff nevermind the long delays caused by obtaining Garda vetting clearance and the very slowly turning HR Department. It normally takes at least 6 months from the time I interview someone, until their feet are on the ground. Prior to this current pandemic, we had 70 full time permanent and pensionable positions that we couldn't fill so I'm finding it hard to be optimistic.

Those of us that are not in the at risk groups might want to volunteer for Covid 19, you can do so by registering here: https://www.i-vol.ie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

eeeee wrote: »
    Those of us that are not in the at risk groups might want to volunteer for Covid 19, you can do so by registering here: https://www.i-vol.ie

Have to figure out if I can, as work have stated they may be asked to redeploy us anyway which I'm okay with, plus I have close contact with an elderly person, someone with chrons and a child with severe allergies, growth issues and very bad asthma.

Probay plenty that people can do without having to venture far

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

couldnt redirect the phone system over my VPN , thought id tested everything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

RTE1's Big Life Fix tonight includes trying to get a double above-knee amputee guy (farming accident I think - missed start) back cycling

ETA: :D

RTE1's Big Life Fix tonight includes trying to get a double above-knee amputee guy (farming accident I think - missed start) back cycling
    Missed it but it will be on the player tomorrow.
    Reminds me of Alex Zanardi

Ah nuts forgot about it. I saw one of them and they were trying to make a chair for a wee lad without legs and I thought this lad was far more mobile without it, not sure of his circumstances as I missed the start. Watching him fly around using his arms amazed me in how the body adapts to what it's missing or never knew it had.

Missed it but it will be on the player tomorrow.
    Reminds me of Alex Zanardi
    Jeebus - horrific crash, amazing guy.
    (The Iriah guy had more leg left and was using a regular-ish bike)

Ah nuts forgot about it. I saw one of them and they were trying to make a chair for a wee lad without legs and I thought this lad was far more mobile without it, not sure of his circumstances as I missed the start. Watching him fly around using his arms amazed me in how the body adapts to what it's missing or never knew it had.
    True to some extent, but I think it was the issue of being able to get back up the slight incline in his garden after romping down it that made the buggy a goal

Just spent some time looking up and watching interviews with Alex Zanardi. Geeaysus. What a guy. He has some head on him, what he's done after that crash is spectacular and rare.
    Also his handcycle is lighter than it looks. There's a pic of him post Rio gold I think holding it up. Also wondering if a recumbent handcycle would be faster? More aero? Or can more power be gotten from being more upright? I guess it depends on the disability and how you get your power out. It's no harm to him anyway, you can see him streak past someone below:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I saw him at the Dolomites Marathon a few years ago going up Passo Giau. So impressive.

• Advertisement

Advertisement