Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

https://www.transportforireland.ie/nta-looking-for-people-who-cycle-to-work-or-college-for-major-report-on-cycling/
    NTA looking for people who cycle to work or college for major report on cycling

Ideally we would like to hear from:
    • Commuter cyclists from different demographic groups e.g. gender/age/ethnicity/disability;
    • People for whom cycling has helped access employment and/or education and/or local services and/or enabled them to participate in the local community;
    • Someone using new cycle infrastructure or someone who is cycling as a result of a workplace or residence providing secure cycle parking;
    • Someone who gave up cycling when they had kids but now using a bike to drop kids to school instead of a car;
    • Someone cycling as part of a trip with other forms of public transport;
    • Has cycling helped your business? Has cycling helped you as an employer support staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Anyone else getting spam emails from boards?

I got my first today asking me to look at some pictures😭

Yup report it if you got it via a PM here, I smelled a rat when the beautiful lady said she wanted to show me her nude cosplay. Nice try love, but how can there be cosplay if you are nude :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Got one too. I was torn between nude cosplay and the Binck Banck tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Rua_ri wrote: »
    Anyone else getting spam emails from boards?

I got my first today asking me to look at some pictures��

I got a PM today.
    I also got an email, telling me, I had a private message.
    Is this email from Boards.ie or has someone else got my email address?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I got one too. I wonder how many are having a Dougal 'Red Button' moment about clicking the link.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I got a PM today.
    I also got an email, telling me, I had a private message.
    Is this email from Boards.ie or has someone else got my email address?

the email is from boards because you got a message, the message is the spam

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,625 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There's an announcement here about the spam PMs

Advice is not to click on the links. Unfortunately we cannot do anything about the e-mails but you do have an option to switch off e-mail notification of PMs

We are working on measures to minimise further disruption and hopefully the PMs will be deleted from your inboxes once the site catches up with all the things needed to do this.

This started with thousands of accounts being set up, each to send one PM, but once we slowed down the setting up of accounts they started sending thousands of PMs from single accounts. The last "deluge" was in the middle of the night and we only had chance to start tidying up when the developers were in the office this morning. Alas with tens of thousands of PMs it is taking a little time

If any of you have had a chat with Sara, perhaps you could share your experience here:pac:

Beasty wrote: »
    There's an announcement here about the spam PMs

Advice is not to click on the links. Unfortunately we cannot do anything about the e-mails but you do have an option to switch off e-mail notification of PMs

We are working on measures to minimise further disruption and hopefully the PMs will be deleted from your inboxes once the site catches up with all the things needed to do this.

This started with thousands of accounts being set up, each to send one PM, but once we slowed down the setting up of accounts they started sending thousands of PMs from single accounts. The last "deluge" was in the middle of the night and we only had chance to start tidying up when the developers were in the office this morning. Alas with tens of thousands of PMs it is taking a little time

If any of you have had a chat with Sara, perhaps you could share your experience here:pac:

mad how the bot adapted, all in hope to just get a foot in the door somewhere

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,625 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

manafana wrote: »
    mad how the bot adapted, all in hope to just get a foot in the door somewhere
    Some of our regular re-reg trolls have gone quiet - maybe they've been taken in by her

I'm sure the bot was adapted by real people to their new surroundings. Indeed if they had adapted their later approach initially the amount of PM traffic could have caused quite a disruption to the site. Fortunately we've been able to evolve our counter measures as we've seen changes in their approach

Anyone seen Captain Havoc recently? May be just a co-incidence, but he's gone very quiet since this all kicked off

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Some of our regular re-reg trolls have gone quiet - maybe they've been taken in by her

I'm sure the bot was adapted by real people to their new surroundings. Indeed if they had adapted their later approach initially the amount of PM traffic could have caused quite a disruption to the site. Fortunately we've been able to evolve our counter measures as we've seen changes in their approach

Anyone seen Captain Havoc recently? May be just a co-incidence, but he's gone very quiet since this all kicked off

He kudos a ride of mine recently, maybe during time off from his hacking,

On another note im awaiting boards.ie feeding me fake news slowly through my dm's this recent attack only a test to access my openness to my pm's as a news source

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/aug/13/alan-partridge-saves-steve-coogan-from-lengthy-driving-ban

It's ok he's going to 'try to stop speeding' :rolleyes:
    This is crazily unjustifiable IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

He escaped a driving ban after saying he was unable to remember who had been driving when his car was allegedly clocked speeding in Hove. He was fined £670 and banned from driving for 28 days in February 2016 after being caught speeding at almost twice the limit in Brighton.
    he's a little dim at times.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Carbon rim pads, any recommendations?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

CramCycle wrote: »
    Carbon rim pads, any recommendations?

Swiss Stop Black Prince

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Swiss Stop Black Prince

Cheers, much difference between these and the Flash Yellow ( I like bright colours), pads I got with the wheels wore through despite minimal breaking in less than 30 days of cycling

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

CramCycle wrote: »
    Cheers, much difference between these and the Flash Yellow ( I like bright colours), pads I got with the wheels wore through despite minimal breaking in less than 30 days of cycling

Less chance of them leaving yellow streaks on your rims

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

to buy or not to buy - that is the question

https://www.raleigh.co.uk/stbur19-super-tuff-burner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

lennymc wrote: »

Why are you even asking!!! Do it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/stolen-bike-gardai-dublin/

that's some dunderhead driving that volvo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Number 2 son had one of those.
    Go for it.
    You know you need it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Buy.
    Then give us all a go of it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,066 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Has anyone ever bought a bike from dublinbikeman dot com?

Just looking for something casual, to head out with the kids.

i think it came up before that if you just want a knockabout bike, you'd be as well off buying on adverts or in one of the places which does secondhand bikes, such as the place on bolton street (if you're in dublin).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

DCC trialling 'bike bunkers' - the €100 a year seems a little steep, especially compared to residents parking permits.
    And as there is no insurance. I would pay quite a bit if there were 24hr insured lockers in the city centre for bikes that did not need some sort of subscription, I would only use it about 5 times a year.

https://bikebunkers.ie/explore/security/
    Please note that your bicycle will not be covered by Dublin City Council’s insurance. Therefore you may wish to check your home contents insurance policy or your cycling insurance policy about whether your bicycle(s) will be covered.
    Your bike will already need some decent locks if in the locker, so I would sooner spend the 100 fee on extra locks and risk locking to something decent, heavy locks weigh a lot but if you treat it like this locker you would not be carrying them with you. The bars in the photos look like the usual hollow thin wall crap many use, or maybe a little better, I reckon I could get through many sheffield stands in 10mins with my swiss army knife, 3mins with a hacksaw from dealz.
    You should be spending at least 10% of the value of your bike on locks, this should not be much less than €50
    A good value 50euro lock would be a lot stronger than the weakest link -the pole it is attached to. Unless they really do use some decent stuff. The scum will get a long prybar so the main lock on the thing is probably not worth mentioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Downloaded strava because I was wondering what the hell KOMs etc were & went home at what I thought was a decent enough pace....my god people are on a different level to me & I thought I was relatively fit. Somebody did Leeson st upper to Saint john of gods in under 12 minutes, I'd struggle to do that on a motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,657 ✭✭✭✭dahat

You'd be surprised how far people go to secure KOMs on Strava, many a segment has been secured behind a vehicle.

remember, some of those segments may have been done by people on e-bikes, or god forbid, in cars.
    here's an example; one i've done many times and am happy with my best time up; it's a 4% climb for over 1km, and the KOM is done at a supposed 50km/h.

https://www.strava.com/segments/1400009

dahat wrote: »
    You'd be surprised how far people go to secure KOMs on Strava, many a segment has been secured behind a vehicle.

Some of mine (but not all:p) were taken when the Giro came to town

I've closed that Strava account now though and just go round stalking a certain Boardsie on my current account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

daragh_ wrote: »
    Why are you even asking!!! Do it.

Hmmm, That is a very valid point.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Number 2 son had one of those.
    Go for it.
    You know you need it.

I had one of these also back in the day. I even got some results racing it on tracks out in Finglas and Balbriggan
    eeeee wrote: »
    Buy.
    Then give us all a go of it.

yes, no. LOL

Now, how do I explain it to the boss. it should be shipped in middle of October, so I have some time to come up with something....

Advertisement