Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭griffin100

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/site-old-lighthouse-inis-m-r-aran-islands-co-galway/2915603

Needs a bit of work but could be an amazing place to get away from it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭wassie

....or when the zombie apocalypse finally arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

griffin100 wrote: »
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/site-old-lighthouse-inis-m-r-aran-islands-co-galway/2915603

It would be nice alright. Not sure about 550k though. Roancarrigmore sold for about 150 a while back and that was in much better condition. The lad who owns it now apparently never goes there so it's just sitting there rotting.

There were a few cottages on Rathlin O Birne sold a while back as well and those weren't too dear.

Inis mor does have the big advantage of decent nearby pubs and you don't need to trouble yourself with hauling your cavity blocks ashore on your own boat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

griffin100 wrote: »

Oh my god! I would love that. Think I need to win the lottery first though.

wassie wrote: »
    ....or when the zombie apocalypse finally arrives.

The map view in the ad says it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Aglomerado wrote: »

You'd need to win the equivalent of two lotteries . One to actually afford the place and get the money to do it up properly and the other to get permission from the council to restore it

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

retalivity wrote: »

I know Rugby Road very well. I almost bought my first house there in 2003 but took a job in the UK at the time. It wasn’t this house btw, but similar size (not layout). They are small, fine for a couple but I wouldn’t want to be trying to raise a family there.
    From memory - though I am open to correction on this - houses on this road hovered around the €1m mark at the peak. :eek: From the Property Register they were as high as €700,000, but nothing listed on that pre-2010 so entirely plausible they were going for €1m

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Aglomerado wrote: »

Being honest, with a heap of money you could turn it into a very nice place but I reckon I'd get bored living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Being honest, with a heap of money you could turn it into a very nice place but I reckon I'd get bored living there.

I can't imagine anyone who could afford the price of that place giving it a second glance as somewhere to make a holiday home or a place to retire to.

It looks like a run down concentration camp.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭josip

An inland lighthouse would seem weird.
    Need the waves crashing around me like on Demon's Rocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I can't imagine anyone who could afford the price of that place giving it a second glance as somewhere to make a holiday home or a place to retire to.

It looks like a run down concentration camp.

I'd say it'd only make sense to turn it into a hostel or hotel or some kind of tourist amenity.

Also, as far as I know, you have to be an Island native to get PP on any of the Aran Islands (according to Galway CoCo's planning rules). I know that on Inishmaan it's nearly impossible for an outsider to even buy existing property (the islanders just won't sell it), let alone build anything. I think Inis Mór and Inisheer it's a bit more relaxed about buying, but you're still won't get to develop.

I'd say it'd only make sense to turn it into a hostel or hotel or some kind of tourist amenity.

Also, as far as I know, you have to be an Island native to get PP on any of the Aran Islands (according to Galway CoCo's planning rules). I know that on Inishmaan it's nearly impossible for an outsider to even buy existing property (the islanders just won't sell it), let alone build anything. I think Inis Mór and Inisheer it's a bit more relaxed about buying, but you're still won't get to develop.

Inis Mór is one of my favourite spots to chill out for a few days, we were running late for our flight one time and I rang the airport to book the next one instead. The lady asked how far away we were and when I told her we'd be at least 15 minutes late she said "ah shur we'll wait for ye".

Eating fresh battered fish in the hotel another evening and I commented to the waitress that it was beautiful, thanks very much she said "myself and the boyfriend caught them this morning from his small boat over there" and she pointed out the window to the spot where they had been fishing.

I've seen that lighthouse up close a few times, I suppose if tourism ever makes a comeback and it was renovated and marketed it might turn a buck for the owner as a place to take pictures from but it's a money pit in reality.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Would love that lighthouse! Could be a really spectacular place.
    Bought a Euromillions Ticket today, 200 Million should be enough to buy and restore it ;)

I suppose if tourism ever makes a comeback and it was renovated and marketed it might turn a buck for the owner as a place to take pictures from but it's a money pit in reality.

€550k to buy.
    €2m+ to do it up.

You'd never make any money on it. The volume of tourists would never be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,316 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I've the Euromillions done to.
    If I win I'll buy it and providing it's not going to take up all of my winnings.
    I'll buy it do it up and invite a few of my favorite Boardsies over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

BattleCorp wrote: »
    €550k to buy.
    €2m+ to do it up.

You'd never make any money on it. The volume of tourists would never be there.

You could do it up a lot cheaper than that. 2 mil maybe if you outsource everything and sit there on a three-legged stool watching them use the costliest materials available

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I know that lighthouse and the nearby ringfort well from my escapades as a child there. I spent most of my summers from the age of 1 to 18 on Inis Mór as we have a house there. It's gorgeous in the summer you have the weather, it's the darkest, coldest, wettest, windiest place you could ever imagine for the other 9 months of the year. All the Atlantic wind and rain hit it first. Put it this way, Galway is like Dubai compared to it - and I lived in Galway too.

Someone mentioned PP, and unless things have changed recently that is true.

While I loved it at times, at other times it was deathly boring. I haven't been in years but maybe boredom could be relieved now if there's a good internet connection on the island, but I'd be surprised if there is such a thing.

It's always going to be a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there kinda place for me.

I take it the light house is off for now!

Nothing special now but it's just so dark and dreary inside.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-magees-mountnugent-co-cavan/1352401

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Someone thought it would be a good idea to take the photos with a flash facing straight forwards, and the lights in the house off. You can see the shadow of the camera lens in a few of the photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

It's cavan, they probably didn't want to pay to switch the lights on

I can think of a lot more foolish ways to spend 250k.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭ongarite

ESB is disconnected as the fridge freezer doors are open and no lights on anywhere.
    Probably empty for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I can think of a lot more foolish ways to spend 250k.

Check the location. Back end of nowhere springs to mind.

€250k for the entire Cavan village? Tempted, but I'll pass.

There's a dreamer section in the motor forum. This is a candidate for house sales version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Mountnugent ain't much brighter and less dreary on the outside either freshpopcorn :D

You could do it up a lot cheaper than that. 2 mil maybe if you outsource everything and sit there on a three-legged stool watching them use the costliest materials available

You'd be surprised how quickly the costs would rack up. It'll be a listed listed building so you can't lash away at the work without taking extra precautions.

And it's also on an island.

Deep pockets man, deep pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭wassie

€250k for the entire Cavan village? Tempted, but I'll pass.

There's a dreamer section in the motor forum. This is a candidate for house sales version.

Aww c'mon......look at the positives. There's a 'Bus service to Dublin daily'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

wassie wrote: »
    Aww c'mon......look at the positives. There's a 'Bus service to Dublin daily'

Exactly. The only positive is that you can easily get away from it on a daily basis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Advertisement