Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Also, a single bed is perfectly good for riding :D it's the sleeping together part afterwards that's difficult :cool:

You prefect the spooning after a bit, and a little later the climbing-over-your-sleeping-partner-to-go-to-the-bathdoom-without-waking-them.

It's the disapproving glares from your rent-mammy, her adult daughter and the yappy house dog that are the real killers.

Larsso30 wrote: »
    I've lived there and for the life of me I cannot understand why the prices are surging! (apologies to anyone from drogheda!)

Prices are surging because you left! :P

Seriously though, I live there, and I do think EA's are just using "old" asking prices or artificially lowering them a tad to reel people in. I've a good idea of what houses are going for in the area around me, and all the asking prices are 20-30k lower (on houses underneath a 250k price bracket - can't comment above that as I'm not really looking at those).

For example, there's an estate near me, where nothing has sold for less than 195k recently, but houses coming up in that area are still advertised around 170k.

Whereas if they advertised them at 190k, and they went for 195k, the same prices would be achieved, but the stats of houses selling 'way over' their asking wouldn't be as blown out of proportion.

That said, things seem calmer now than they once did - in Feb-Apr things were going stupidly high

EDIT: Although that is due to supply id say, as there wasn't much in the way of new builds at the time, and second hand had dried up a bit. According to Daft there's 121 properties for sale at the moment in Drogheda, in March that was as low as 86.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tabnabs wrote: »
    A very unusual property, an old train station, including the signal cabin and goods sheds.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/ballinlough-station-ballinlough-co-roscommon/4511817

Mentioned this to my brother, he had actually looked at it before... there's a big sign up at the actual location with a rant of "this land is not actually for sale..." or similar on it, so you'd basically be buying yourself in to a real life version of The Field.

L1011 wrote: »
    Mentioned this to my brother, he had actually looked at it before... there's a big sign up at the actual location with a rant of "this land is not actually for sale..." or similar on it, so you'd basically be buying yourself in to a real life version of The Field.

It'll just end up at auction and someone will buy it. People that lose property get very sentimental about it, and become tough guys, but more often than not end up back in their box when the real 'tough guys' show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Does that happen quite a bit to land around old disused railways? Thought I read on here before about farmers helping themselves to CIE land along a disused railway line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

And no actual picture of the room?

The bedroom is out the back, definately only a single bed in it:rolleyes:
    https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/365565694730836387/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

And if things end up the same way as the Field, you can be buried just across the road.

https://goo.gl/maps/Qb58KZJSQiMBBNQK8

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

josip wrote: »
    And if things end up the same way as the Field, you can be buried just across the road.

https://goo.gl/maps/Qb58KZJSQiMBBNQK8

Be less labour intensive to throw the corpse in the lake beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭KevRossi

€199,000 for this. It's about €70,000 cheaper than most of the similar houses in the area and it's been for sale for months. Needs a good clean out, new floors, new wallpaper/paint, probably new windows and a boiler. No pics of bathroom so probably needs to be refurbished along with the kitchen. Probably good value if you're not too fussy. If you're handy with DIY and you laid into it for 4 weeks you'd get the important bits done and you could do the rest over few months, saving a fair few quid on similar houses. With the extension at the back it's easy to make a 3 bed (one an ensuite) out of it later on.

I don't know how good or bad that end of the road is, or how much anti-social behaviour goes on in the park opposite it, but you're 25 mins walk from the Phoenix Park, less than 10 on a bike. Chapelizod, Inchicore and Kilmainham are very near and Ballyer has most shops like Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, etc. There's a few shops 2 mins walk down the road as well.

Bus outside the door (literally) goes every 10 mins in the morning and evening, every 15 outside of that.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/167-decies-road-ballyfermot-dublin-10/4477851

172146b3-48d3-48f1-8718-6b31ef3df6b8_l.jpg
    4e859aa6-9c76-428d-be9e-16e819855d9b_x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Does that happen quite a bit to land around old disused railways? Thought I read on here before about farmers helping themselves to CIE land along a disused railway line

Yes. Very common to move a fence to the other side of a closed line or put an unofficial crossing in etc.

This is a closed station on an active line though so I'd hope it was sold off properly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

On the portobello hipster house: without the lean to, where would the bedroom be in those houses? Doesn't seem to be one. Where do the neighbouring hipsters sleep?

KevRossi wrote: »
    For €215,000 you can have this 2-bed with loads of space for expansion. About 15 mins from Sligo town centre by car, or less than 40 by bike. But the location.... I know it well from cycling out there and it's incredible, pics on Strret View don't do it justice as it's a bit cloudy and overcast. Build a small platform on the lakeshore to swim from and you're good to go.

Streetview - turn around for the house. https://www.google.com/maps/@54.3381857,-8.4060944,3a,75y,124.42h,82.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxgBydOc7va0XWcqScDNv8A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/glencar-north-sligo-sligo/4346633

ec30929f-c076-4f01-8d17-8cfbdcbb55be_l.jpg
    27c315c3-08c4-43f0-87c4-d9c19ff0d2bf_x.jpg

Would make a good holiday home investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,159 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

On the portobello hipster house: without the lean to, where would the bedroom be in those houses? Doesn't seem to be one. Where do the neighbouring hipsters sleep?

There's 2 more on the same street for sale that both have 2 bedrooms squeezed into 50sqm or less. Finished much better, but prices are eye-watering

€495k - https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/end-of-terrace-house-1-harty-place-dublin-8/3230734
    €375k - https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/bungalow-12-harty-place-south-circular-road-dublin-8/2945254

The estate-agent lingo is hilarious:
    "A fully paved rear courtyard is located off the second bedroom which also benefits from the south facing aspect, ideal for al fresco dining. " - Cheers for the 9 tiles needed, don't think you'll see much sun except for a few days in June when it is highest in the sky
    NDZiYjY2MGJjZDZkMjFmZjE5ZjkwNjFlMDRkYmE2ZjRUnYtwEZa73OfH5evk2iS8aHR0cHM6Ly9zMy1ldS13ZXN0LTEuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9tZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1L2MvMC9jMDg2ZGQxNjAzMTgwNTY5MGY5NDMwMzk5ZThhYzRlNS5qcGd8fHwxMjAwfHx8fHx8fA==.webp

"The accommodation is very much open plan " - Err...a hallway between living room and kitchen and a dining room under the stairs kinda goes against the spirit of "open plan"
    YjAzNTA1MjM3NjhmYTgzODc4NTA4OWRmOWE2M2RiY2JaXhhWGLSIzLmO1bWWoLOFaHR0cHM6Ly9zMy1ldS13ZXN0LTEuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9tZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1LzQvNi80NjA1NmFiZTIwNmM2MDg0ZmNmYTg1NTMyYTBmMDFkZi5qcGd8fHwxMjAwfHx8fHx8fA==.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,771 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

KevRossi wrote: »
    €199,000 for this. It's about €70,000 cheaper than most of the similar houses in the area and it's been for sale for months. Needs a good clean out, new floors, new wallpaper/paint, probably new windows and a boiler. No pics of bathroom so probably needs to be refurbished along with the kitchen. Probably good value if you're not too fussy. If you're handy with DIY and you laid into it for 4 weeks you'd get the important bits done and you could do the rest over few months, saving a fair few quid on similar houses. With the extension at the back it's easy to make a 3 bed (one an ensuite) out of it later on.

I don't know how good or bad that end of the road is, or how much anti-social behaviour goes on in the park opposite it, but you're 25 mins walk from the Phoenix Park, less than 10 on a bike. Chapelizod, Inchicore and Kilmainham are very near and Ballyer has most shops like Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, etc. There's a few shops 2 mins walk down the road as well.

Bus outside the door (literally) goes every 10 mins in the morning and evening, every 15 outside of that.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/167-decies-road-ballyfermot-dublin-10/4477851

That house is SCREAMING probate sale

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

retalivity wrote: »
    There's 2 more on the same street for sale that both have 2 bedrooms squeezed into 50sqm or less. Finished much better, but prices are eye-watering

€495k - https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/end-of-terrace-house-1-harty-place-dublin-8/3230734

Christ the photos with the CGI furniture are incredibly disingenuous! :eek:

Taking a photo with a wide angle lens is one thing, but then creating an image where the shrunken down cgi furniture fits in with loads of room to spare is just downright lying!

That’s the craziest price I’ve seen for a cottage yet. Will Someone actually pay that? Who would it suit?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A real hidden gem, very difficult to believe this house is in Dublin at all.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/glenasmole-lodge-glenasmole-co-dublin-d24-tp86/4509222

• Registered Users Posts: 6,587 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Stunning house, obviously well loved too. I had to laugh at the estate agent's statement that it'd be an easily accessible weekend retreat. Who the fcuk has 4.25 million to spend on a holiday home?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Stunning house, obviously well loved too. I had to laugh at the estate agent's statement that it'd be an easily accessible weekend retreat. Who the fcuk has 4.25 million to spend on a holiday home?

Probably the same type of person who has 4 million to spend on a normal home

• Registered Users Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Tabnabs wrote: »
    A real hidden gem, very difficult to believe this house is in Dublin at all.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/glenasmole-lodge-glenasmole-co-dublin-d24-tp86/4509222

Wow, that's just stunning. Fantastic location yet seems rural with all that land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ec18

Wow, that's just stunning. Fantastic location yet seems rural with all that land.

no did a quick check on the bookshelf in pic 7

220 acres? I did read that right ?

ec18 wrote: »
    no did a quick check on the bookshelf in pic 7

220 acres? I did read that right ?

34.3 acres, that's lot of land!

The stuffed animals are probably a relic of the past, but a lot of people hunt with that kind of property.

34.3 acres, that's lot of land!

The stuffed animals are probably a relic of the past, but a lot of people hunt with that kind of property.

The book on the right of pic :P

Pleasure grounds comprising some 34.3 acres / 13.9 hectares surround the house and compliment the wider acreage of picturesque mountainous lands that extend to in excess of 220 acres (89 Hectares) - is that just the surroundings or is it part of the property?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Pleasure grounds comprising some 34.3 acres / 13.9 hectares surround the house and compliment the wider acreage of picturesque mountainous lands that extend to in excess of 220 acres (89 Hectares) - is that just the surroundings or is it part of the property?
    The 220 acres is probably state owned or commonage the 34 acres is private

Eeehhhh ... there's a lot of books, nothing is jumping out. Hang on until I turn on my bionic eye. :p

Eeehhhh ... there's a lot of books, nothing is jumping out. Hang on until I turn on my bionic eye. :p

Have a look at the attachment

Oh! Probably a history buff rather than a fan, or it could have been bought as part of a collection to fill the shelves.

In my defence that's the left of the picture. :cool:

Oh! Probably a history buff rather than a fan, or it could have been bought as part of a collection to fill the shelves.

In my defence that's the left of the picture. :cool:

my bad....it's a bit too close to the weekend lol

To be fair. Very few post war books on Hitler are favourable to Hitler.

Yeh that place is ok. No hunting these days though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The badger seems to have a little square moustache too.

Lovely house in stunning location. A true gem.

Advertisement