Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,159 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Those houses on Harty place are some of the smallest in Dublin, I remember seeing one a few years ago there for €100k and about 30sqm
    €275k for 46sqm, which appears to include an unfinished mezzanine and a covered yard is disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I love these types of cottages, but I would reconfigure the whole place if I were to live in it. In that case the asking price is a bit steep.
    The rooms are tiny and it would benefit from open plan living, except the bedroom and bathroom (obviously).

I wondered if that is an RSJ sticking out into the garden area ? When you look back to the house from the garden on the LHS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

It's hipster central around there. Few last remaining oul local spinsters and bachelors must get a land seeing these hairy yokes with holes in their ears walking around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭KevRossi

For €215,000 you can have this 2-bed with loads of space for expansion. About 15 mins from Sligo town centre by car, or less than 40 by bike. But the location.... I know it well from cycling out there and it's incredible, pics on Strret View don't do it justice as it's a bit cloudy and overcast. Build a small platform on the lakeshore to swim from and you're good to go.

Streetview - turn around for the house. https://www.google.com/maps/@54.3381857,-8.4060944,3a,75y,124.42h,82.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxgBydOc7va0XWcqScDNv8A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/glencar-north-sligo-sligo/4346633

ec30929f-c076-4f01-8d17-8cfbdcbb55be_l.jpg
    27c315c3-08c4-43f0-87c4-d9c19ff0d2bf_x.jpg

Who'd live in a house like this?

KevRossi wrote: »
    loads of space for expansion... it's incredible.. Steet View don't do it justice

Sounds horrible, alright.

• Advertisement

2ndcoming wrote: »
    It's hipster central around there. Few last remaining oul local spinsters and bachelors must get a land seeing these hairy yokes with holes in their ears walking around the place.

Hipsters or no. What counts is that these cottages don't fall into a state of disrepair and are being cared for well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

For €215,000 you can have this 2-bed with loads of space for expansion. About 15 mins from Sligo town centre by car, or less than 40 by bike. But the location.... I know it well from cycling out there and it's incredible, pics on Strret View don't do it justice as it's a bit cloudy and overcast. Build a small platform on the lakeshore to swim from and you're good to go.

Might be problematic to build a small swimming platform on land you don't own. But yeah, it's a lovely setting and the cottage looks nice enough on the inside.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    There's an awful lot of work needed on the cheaper house and you wouldn't likely have any change out of €87k if you went about doing the work.

I'd say if you tried to copy the other house, then you'd use 87k up handy enough.

But if you owned the cheaper house and decided to plunge 87k into it, I reckon you'd end up with a much nicer end result, in my opinion.

Hipsters or no. What counts is that these cottages don't fall into a state of disrepair and are being cared for well.

For the most part they don't fall into a state of disrepair because chancers know they can build a half shed off the back, give them a bit of a tidy up and ask 275k for them.

There's plenty that are in absolute disrepair around the city I'm sure lots of young people would like a chance at reviving. They'll prob be sold for cash to Paddy the plasterer and appear here in a couple years time, with half built sheds off the back of them for 275k. Or more.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    For the most part they don't fall into a state of disrepair because chancers know they can build a half shed off the back, give them a bit of a tidy up and ask 275k for them.

There's plenty that are in absolute disrepair around the city I'm sure lots of young people would like a chance at reviving. They'll prob be sold for cash to Paddy the plasterer and appear here in a couple years time, with half built sheds off the back of them for 275k. Or more.

So, not hipsters then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In fairness now I think that's quite nice. Yes it's not cosy as such but it's clean and modern. I've no idea about the price of property in Drogheda but overall that's a nice update of an old house.

According to a report out last week Drogheda house prices are surging at the moment, they claim it has got the fastest house price inflation in the country
    Ireland has returned to Celtic Tiger era house price inflation, with average home prices rising by over 1pc a month or more across the country since the end of March.

Selling prices for three-bedroom semi-detached homes have risen more than 4pc over the past three months nationwide, with areas such as Drogheda and Limerick recording double-digit increases in the same period, according to new data released today by the Irish Independent REA Average House Price Index.
    The survey also shows house prices in Dublin are surging by €1,500 a week.

The country’s biggest quarterly rise came in Drogheda where demand caused prices to increase by €30,000 to €250,000 in 12 weeks – a rise of 13.5pc in the quarter and 19pc annually.

Its a good job of modernising a small space. Did anyone watch the video though? The estate agent did a single take for a 6+ minute long video and it was all going great until the last minute or so. She was out in the back garden and described it as "very quiet" but in the background you can clearly hear the sirens of an ambulance. Living there you would hear them constantly as its only a few hundred metres from Lourdes hospital which covers the entire north east area up to Monaghan and Cavan. Outside of Dublin & Cork it is one of the countries busiest hospitals so regular sirens in that area are pretty much the norm every day. The agent would have known that but it didnt stop her describing the garden as "very quiet" even when the evidence in her own video was showing the opposite.
    It starts at 5.30 and by the time the video finishes at 6.20 the ambulance is getting closer to the house so it gets louder
    https://www.realestatealliance.ie/6-windmill-road-drogheda-louth/700184/tour

€1,050 per month for 1.5 rooms in a house share with the landlady and her daughter. In Swords, the metropolis of North Dublin [sic]. The landlady has spared no expense here, having purchased...
    a brand new single bed for your room of good quality with top quality interior for your room

What more could you want for €12,600 per annum.

https://rentberry.com/ie/apartments/2092938-one-br-swords-swords-village-ed-l-ie?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhcfz6fPB8QIVkVAVCB2WHQGpEAEYASABEgLR3_D_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

€1,050 per month for 1.5 rooms in a house share with the landlady and her daughter. In Swords, the metropolis of North Dublin [sic]. The landlady has spared no expense here, having purchased...

https://rentberry.com/ie/apartments/2092938-one-br-swords-swords-village-ed-l-ie?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhcfz6fPB8QIVkVAVCB2WHQGpEAEYASABEgLR3_D_BwE

I'd expect both mother and daughter to be included for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,354 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

And no actual picture of the room?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 28,293 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There's a picture of a picture, and another one of a bunch of flowers, its a quality gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Might be problematic to build a small swimming platform on land you don't own. But yeah, it's a lovely setting and the cottage looks nice enough on the inside.

I know in Lough Ree (Roscommon CoCo) even if you do own the Land backing to the lake you are not allowed to build anything on or near the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Dont forget too
    We have the famous pavilion shopping mall 10 mins from our home
    And
    We also have small pomeranian friendly dog, the best behaved that makes no noise and great with people
    Pomeranians are known as a breed that are both snappy and yappy, if a pin drops they'll go into a fit of barking and they get nervous with strangers and are liable to bite them. No way would I pay money to live with one and I love dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,159 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I'm just surprised she is not charging €1,166pm to maximise the free tax relief under the rent a room scheme.

retalivity wrote: »
    I'm just surprised she is not charging €1,166pm to maximise the free tax relief under the rent a room scheme.

I've no doubt she'll pull €100 a month for various bills to max out the €14k.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

josip wrote: »
    I'd expect both mother and daughter to be included for that price.

I'd want to see a pic of the mother and daughter before I'd commit to that deal. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I assumed that bit in bold was you adding your own level of sarcasm to it. I can't believe they actually put that in the ad. It really is like a parody.

It's all fine and dandy when you have a family at home but then they fly the nest and you and your OH (if you have held onto them too!) suddenly have all this unnecessary extra room to rattle around in.
    I see it with my home place too.

Houses like that need staff and a large family staying there. Extended even.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    According to a report out last week Drogheda house prices are surging at the moment, they claim it has got the fastest house price inflation in the country

Yeah I heard that, alright. Prices are booming here, but i think that statistic has a lot to do with houses asking prices not being adjusted at all.

Houses that are selling for 200k are still being listed at 170k for example.

It starts at 5.30 and by the time the video finishes at 6.20 the ambulance is getting closer to the house so it gets louder

The upside (if you consider it one) would be that the sirens are generally only during the day. At night, you'd rarely hear them, as people don't have accidents at night time. :)

(seriously, though, at night time the junctions off that road, to the hospital, are generally quiet, so nee-naws aren't used to attract attention. That house is, to be fair, on the "good side" of the road, in that it's away from the hospital itself and the junctions the ambulances go through.

A potentially more annoying concern would be the noise (cheering/etc) from sports at Droghed United, and the hassle those games bring in terms of traffic and litter. However, again, you're at the opposite end of the road, which is good. A bad thing, though, is the road is a one-way road, and you're at the start of it. It can be congested a lot, especially with people going to work in the hospital, and unless you park elsewhere, you've to travel the full road before you can go anywhere else.

There's also busy schools across in the area too (bothar brugha) that would add to the congestion. It can be a very congested area. I wouldn't live there personally (the noise of traffic would annoy me) and when you take into consideration what is available for the same asking price in Drogheda, i don't see this selling at that price, although I am very open to correction on that (and naturally, for the seller's sake, I hope they do well out of it).

A 'real' budget (ie; sale agreed price, rather than asking price) of 250k in Drogheda, should still be plenty to get you a 3 bed terraced with a drive way in good condition in Drogheda, not far from the town but outside the centre, to avoid traffic on your door step.

Regarding the swords one, why would you highlight a single bed? Any adult I know, even sleeping on their own, uses a double bed?

Is "single bed" code for "no riding"? Or is the room just tiny, i wonder (it doesn't seem to be pictured?)

So, not hipsters then.

No, the hipsters are mostly the ones willing to pay the exorbitant rents to live in a hovel because it's in a cool area. The owners / sellers are the chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Regarding the swords one, why would you highlight a single bed? Any adult I know, even sleeping on their own, uses a double bed?

Is "single bed" code for "no riding"? Or is the room just tiny, i wonder (it doesn't seem to be pictured?)

Oh you can be absolutely 100% certain it is not a double bed.

Also, a single bed is perfectly good for riding :D it's the sleeping together part afterwards that's difficult :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

https://www.realestate...da-louth/700184/tour

On that Drogheda one I'd be more concerned about getting the bins in and out with all those steps etc....

On the swords one it's actually a really sad time to show us all what many have to endure by paying through the nose to live.... A house share with a mother and daughter and a dog, they will most likely not tolerate you using the sitting room etc and probably guessing here but restrict kitchen times and also look for you to be out mostly.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

On the swords one it's actually a really sad time to show us all what many have to endure by paying through the nose to live.... A house share with a mother and daughter and a dog, they will most likely not tolerate you using the sitting room etc and probably guessing here but restrict kitchen times and also look for you to be out mostly.....

Plus, being owner-occupied, you're paying above house share rates without any of the protections of a tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Streetview - turn around for the house. https://www.google.com/maps/@54.3381857,-8.4060944,3a,75y,124.42h,82.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxgBydOc7va0XWcqScDNv8A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/glencar-north-sligo-sligo/4346633

ec30929f-c076-4f01-8d17-8cfbdcbb55be_l.jpg
    27c315c3-08c4-43f0-87c4-d9c19ff0d2bf_x.jpg

This is stunning scenery. House is impressive too.

Is the one next to it abandoned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Muahahaha wrote: »

Its a good job of modernising a small space. Did anyone watch the video though? The estate agent did a single take for a 6+ minute long video and it was all going great until the last minute or so. She was out in the back garden and described it as "very quiet" but in the background you can clearly hear the sirens of an ambulance. Living there you would hear them constantly as its only a few hundred metres from Lourdes hospital which covers the entire north east area up to Monaghan and Cavan. Outside of Dublin & Cork it is one of the countries busiest hospitals so regular sirens in that area are pretty much the norm every day. The agent would have known that but it didnt stop her describing the garden as "very quiet" even when the evidence in her own video was showing the opposite.

I've lived there and for the life of me I cannot understand why the prices are surging! (apologies to anyone from drogheda!)

Advertisement