Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

Not a recent addition, it's been like that since at least 2003.
    So presumably the window of opportunity for a demolition order from the council has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,295 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The plans with the land registry show that site as being bigger than the other sites on the estate, its just possible that technically the previous building, 'the cottage', was built around and has left that strange effect. Wouldn't like to have to sort it out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭KevRossi

That's a mess. The only cottage in the area marked on the Cassini maps is a bit further south, about 5 houses down, so that's not it. The area on Landirect.ie is messy alright, I'd say the legal fees could be high.

Apart from that it's Celtic Tiger stuff all over; grandiose entry hall, several sitting rooms and dining rooms, big walk in wardrobes and the glitzy bathroom. The road behind it is very busy; that's where I'd be put off buying it.

It doesn't look like it was ever really lived in.

Was for sale for €925K last year: https://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/homes/four-on-the-market-three-beds-in-dublin-15-39097773.html

It was owned by a developer, so that's not a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,354 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

KevRossi wrote: »
    Was for sale for €925K last year: https://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/homes/four-on-the-market-three-beds-in-dublin-15-39097773.html

It was owned by a developer, so that's not a surprise.

that is a big haircut. it might need another one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

looksee wrote: »
    The plans with the land registry show that site as being bigger than the other sites on the estate, its just possible that technically the previous building, 'the cottage', was built around and has left that strange effect. Wouldn't like to have to sort it out though.
    If you look at the old maps on the OSI mapviewer, you can see that the shape of the property matches an old boundary line in the corner of a piece of land from about a century back. Also, although the house is on Delwood Grove, the numbers skip it.

If I had to guess, at some point one piece of land was sold off and the seller kept a piece of land in the corner for themselves.

Later on, a developer came in and bought all the land around it, but this guy refused to sell his tiny plot, correctly reasoning that it would become worth a hell of a lot more with Coolmine built around it.

They may have built the cottage before the estate was built, or may have decided to built something afterwards and call it "The Cottage".

I imagine the title is a mess though. There was a lot of handshake agreements in decades past, people just draw rough lines and stuck up random fences ater exchanging money. If the walls are marking out the correct plot, I'd be amazed.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

seamus wrote: »
    If you look at the old maps on the OSI mapviewer, you can see that the shape of the property matches an old boundary line in the corner of a piece of land from about a century back. Also, although the house is on Delwood Grove, the numbers skip it.

If I had to guess, at some point one piece of land was sold off and the seller kept a piece of land in the corner for themselves.

Later on, a developer came in and bought all the land around it, but this guy refused to sell his tiny plot, correctly reasoning that it would become worth a hell of a lot more with Coolmine built around it.

They may have built the cottage before the estate was built, or may have decided to built something afterwards and call it "The Cottage".

I imagine the title is a mess though. There was a lot of handshake agreements in decades past, people just draw rough lines and stuck up random fences ater exchanging money. If the walls are marking out the correct plot, I'd be amazed.

Lost the bulk of my post to a slip of the thumb but yes, a likely myriad of issues here.

The State has 30 years to claim back land though. If it's Council land, which is likely, then the boundary question is still open.

The plot is definitely unusual though, for a few reasons. It has a very McMansion vibe about it and it may be styled to look older than it is. Initially I thought it was built in the space of one block of 2 semi-D houses but I don't know. How anyone would get PP to do such a thing in the middle of an estate is not clear.

So it could be a real headache but the other side of it is that it's probably 20 years old by now and all the might of the State has not thus far turned itself to the question of a few square meters of land in Coolmine... in 10ish years you could be away with that land. Road frontage and all.

ETA: first post here, I think. Long time fan of this thread :D

If you are looking for a property, as well as Daft (or whatever) you need tabs open with Google Maps, the Land registry, Eircode finder, OSI maps including the historical overlays and flood maps, and the Planning Department of whichever bit of the country (and some of them are hopeless). Then you are ready for some serious research :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There's been a structure there with the same boundary since at least 1995. However, at that time it seems to be smaller and set back on the site a bit more. The current structure turns up in the aerial photos in 2011/13, and at that time has a noticeably new roof.

554677.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

"CSI Boards Property Division at your service, how may I help?"

I hope you're all detectives!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Reminds me of this guy...

51219249164_043e82f85d_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I kinda think I get it now.
    So there's a bed by a stairs leading up from the kitchen, and another stairs leading up to another supposed bedroom. What a mess.

That looks like a shared house.

No real character in any of the rooms and, one of the rooms had their units covered with pieces of cloth or blankets- probably for a bit of privacy when the pictures where being taken.

The beds at the top and bottom of the stairs, looks like that was supposed to be an attic area but turned into three sleeping areas :(

The Fairways house is a fairly standard 4 bed house, reduced to 3 bed, with a large extension built on. The extension is the stacked bedrooms affair designed for squashing beds into. The bedrooms in the main house are pretty small anyway, the ones in the extension don't really qualify as bedrooms. It claims to be a 5 bed house, but if there are 3 in the main house and three bed places in the extension, the estate agents are not committing to one of the stacked up beds being a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's been a structure there with the same boundary since at least 1995. However, at that time it seems to be smaller and set back on the site a bit more. The current structure turns up in the aerial photos in 2011/13, and at that time has a noticeably new roof.
    This is what I was talking about yesterday; if you overlay the historic townland maps over the modern one, you see the boundary line for the land marked "2.391" follows the northern boundary for this house.

554733.png

So yeah I'd say someone sold 2.391 at one point but kept that plot in the north-western corner for themselves, making a mess of the registry.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

I've reported that, what a joke!

To the council, the revenue or both? I've a good mind to report it to. PM if you dont want to say here.

Prisoners would be housed better. Disgusting scumbags taking advantage of the housing crisis sticking people in the shed where they keep their washing machine?!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    To the council, the revenue or both? I've a good mind to report it to. PM if you dont want to say here.

Prisoners would be housed better. Disgusting scumbags taking advantage of the housing crisis sticking people in the shed where they keep their washing machine?!

On Daft itself, not sure if it's taken down.

Didn't think of the council or revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

any one looking for a pied a terre in London?
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/79774305#/

if I was I couldn't find one in a better location.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

High walls, taking public land with im assuming no objections.

I wonder what career the occupants had???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

M5 wrote: »

I don't think it's necessarily the case that public land was taken without permission. But there's obviously open unresolved questions about the boundary.

There's at least 3 companies that list directors giving the address in recent years (2016 to now). A construction company (inactive), and a "media representations" one (dissolved), and a parking services company (active).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

It's highly unlikely Daft will do anything unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Odelay

M5 wrote: »

You’re not paying attention to the thread, just jumping to a narrative that suits. The site was there before the other houses were built..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Alun wrote: »

Guaranteed that dangerously dumped Yaris on the corner belongs to the guy who put up the ad on daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

Guaranteed that dangerously dumped Yaris on the corner belongs to the guy who put up the ad on daft.

Are all those house council houses or are some of them privately owned?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

josip wrote: »

The panel wall in the garden should be enough to put anyone off.

josip wrote: »

All originally council.
    Some have been bought, especially along the courts (cedar, cypress) maple ave are much newer, only built after 2006, if I rem right, they are probably all still council.

The photos are for a much larger apartment than the one for £1.25m. Cheeky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

There's talk that they are all empty and are mainly used for money laundering .

I was looking at the photos and I couldn't understand how it was only 48 SqM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Yeah, the photos bear no resemblance to the floorplan. Shnakey!

Advertisement