Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Tabnabs wrote: »
    When you need to entertain a small group of 50 family and friends at home.

d309eba7-027d-4052-bfbb-938ded0b0ebd_l.jpg
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/churchtown-house-weston-park-churchtown-dublin-14/4489370#&gid=1&pid=26

Better home the floor holds, as it's hiding the empty swimming pool underneath!

One thing a lot of these massive houses have is a drawing room. What the hell is a drawing room meant to be for?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

One thing a lot of these massive houses have is a drawing room. What the hell is a drawing room meant to be for?

I think it’s meant for entertaining the visitors!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

What's the craic with the price? €310k seems very reasonable, though, no?

(I'm assuming the shop-front was listed, and therefore couldn't be removed?)

If it was listed, they wouldn't have been allowed to remove the thatched roof and replace it with slates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

A couple of weeks ago I posted a Twitter post about estate agents in America having "Haunted" or "Not Haunted" on For Sale signs.
    I've just seen This Irish listing and now I understand the need for them :pac:

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-loftus-hall-loftushall-fethard-on-sea-co-wexford/3165529

Loftus Hall is for sale. The estate agent's description very carefully skirts around the reason Loftus Hall is so well known :D
    The property has been featured extensively over the years on television, film, radio, historical writings, etc., and in fact, it would be a rare occurrence to speak to someone who does not know of the legendary building - such is the history of Loftus Hall. With its origins dating back to 1170, the building has had various re-incarnations with the current building having had varied uses including private home, a former hotel and recently a successful tourist destination.

(If you are one of the few who doesn't know of the legendary building, the description from loftushall.ie is: "Loftus Hall, Ireland's Most haunted house, House Tours, Paranormal lockdowns, cafe, walled gardens, Gift shop.")

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I wouldn't live in Lotus Hall if I got it for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think it’s meant for entertaining the visitors!

You could probably handle that in the bar, games room or theatre :pac: I know it's probably just a name but I don't understand why they don't just call them living rooms. Same with the dining room in that house. It's a mile away from the kitchen (which is big enough to have a dining area). If they use it as a dining room then it is in a terrible place being so far away from the kitchen. If they don't why call it a dining room, just call it a living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

maudgonner wrote: »
    Loftus Hall is for sale. The estate agent's description very carefully skirts around the reason Loftus Hall is so well known :D

I did the tour there a couple of years ago, it was excellent. You'd need some money to do it up though.

Neither would I but not because it is haunted. I wouldn't live in it because it would cost an absolute fortune to make it livable and I don't have that money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭AlejGuzman68

maudgonner wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago I posted a Twitter post about estate agents in America having "Haunted" or "Not Haunted" on For Sale signs.
    I've just seen This Irish listing and now I understand the need for them :pac:

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-loftus-hall-loftushall-fethard-on-sea-co-wexford/3165529

(If you are one of the few who doesn't know of the legendary building, the description from loftushall.ie is: "Loftus Hall, Ireland's Most haunted house, House Tours, Paranormal lockdowns, cafe, walled gardens, Gift shop.")

All those poor souls screaming out in anguish at how the current owners made the homeplace so tacky.

Neither would I but not because it is haunted. I wouldn't live in it because it would cost an absolute fortune to make it livable and I don't have that money.

It's on a particularly bleak headland too. I don't find it attractive at all. And being "haunted" is not its only bad point. There were other not so nice happenings reputed to have gone on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It's on a particularly bleak headland too. I don't find it attractive at all. And being "haunted" is not its only bad point. There were other not so nice happenings reputed to have gone on there.

We're all going to meet the Devil some day. Why not buy the place and meet him earlier than most people. :D

They'll be lucky to get a million for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

You could probably handle that in the bar, games room or theatre :pac: I know it's probably just a name but I don't understand why they don't just call them living rooms. Same with the dining room in that house. It's a mile away from the kitchen (which is big enough to have a dining area). If they use it as a dining room then it is in a terrible place being so far away from the kitchen. If they don't why call it a dining room, just call it a living room.

Some of us have servants and we like to keep them active and make their job as hard as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Didn't Francis Brennan merrily trip along there to try and help the owners out?

It was clearly beyond even his magic touch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Tabnabs wrote: »

god I love that house so much. and the garden.

very little I'd change, but i'd whip out the bathrooms straight away. especially the stupid bath in the floor.

and the kitchen island is awkward looking.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

c6048baa3e438e527efe9f73c5357c2e.png

ed383c080f14daf8b8640d3901678550.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

god I love that house so much. and the garden.

very little I'd change, but i'd whip out the bathrooms straight away. especially the stupid bath in the floor.

and the kitchen island is awkward looking.
    Wowzers!

That is one fabulous house, and THAT is a piano room (compared to the one posted recently, in a very odd house, didn't get the love for it at all!)

Bit depressing though are the aerial photos, it would be lovely to see it with all its original grounds, instead of built up all round and very boxed in - the garden photos flatter to deceive, I thought it was out in the countryside somewhere until I saw the overview!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Wowzers!

That is one fabulous house, and THAT is a piano room (compared to the one posted recently, in a very odd house, didn't get the love for it at all!)

Bit depressing though are the aerial photos, it would be lovely to see it with all its original grounds, instead of built up all round and very boxed in - the garden photos flatter to deceive, I thought it was out in the countryside somewhere until I saw the overview!

It was very odd to see it surrounded by suburbia, but it is a beautiful house nonetheless.

I just have a minor cash flow problem at the moment, so unfortunately I can't snap it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,168 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what posh people call their living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

nibtrix wrote: »
    I did the tour there a couple of years ago, it was excellent. You'd need some money to do it up though.
    I got to visit last August, one of the last tours I think. Storm Francis was raging and the sound of the wind rattling the house was eerie. The walled gardens were closed to us that day in case of flying masonry. I'd love to have been able to explore more but it's definitely not safe! The circular mosaic filed floor was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Stuff and nonsense.
    You have nothing the fear from the dead, the living on the other hand...yes I would be afraid of some of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

retalivity wrote: »
    Nothing screams "Celtic Tiger" like a 5bed 7bath McMansion in Roscommon with a helicopter pad and what appears to be an adjoining shop with the previous owners name on it

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-kilmurray-castlerea-co-roscommon/2948136

You wouldn't think it possible, but that's not even the worst Celtic Tiger era pile that end of county Roscommon

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/debt-ridden-developer-retreats-to-country-pile-26552109.html

img?regionKey=l0DH5%2B%2BAT9jws%2FPA7lmeag%3D%3D

img?regionKey=YZgaXevP5HBRU%2BTTSGweKQ%3D%3D

img?regionKey=SLL9b7LqNRRgvWrc4NUADg%3D%3D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

^ good Christ. I'll take Loftus Hall over that. Smell of NAMA/CAB off it. :D

The love child of a French chateau and the General Post Office. Hideous.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,168 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You wouldn't think it possible, but that's not even the worst Celtic Tiger era pile that end of county Roscommon

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/debt-ridden-developer-retreats-to-country-pile-26552109.html

img?regionKey=l0DH5%2B%2BAT9jws%2FPA7lmeag%3D%3D

they were building houses like that in roscommon long before the celtic tiger. there is a really well known one on the way to Strokestown that is a total McMansion. There is a caravan parked at the side and the owners apparently live in that.

Stuff and nonsense.
    You have nothing the fear from the dead, the living on the other hand...yes I would be afraid of some of those.

Who said i was afraid of dead people? Never mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Someone was watching MTV cribs and got inspired about that plot of land they had in Roscommon :pac:

A country pile alright, pile of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I can't see any photos in that article.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I can't see any photos in that article.

There aren't any, it's just a bit of background on who was responsible for the House of Bad Taste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

There aren't any, it's just a bit of background on who was responsible for the House of Bad Taste

Oh.

The comments afterwards were like there were but people were obvious still talking about M Fahy Inc.

Advertisement