Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC FIGHT NIGHT BARBOZA VS LEE

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Didn’t realise they made refs uniforms in kids sizes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Never had I anticipated this fight being so boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Congrats to Frankie , he almost made me cry there talkin to Felder. Very touching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

C'mon Barboza!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Kevin Lee doing some impromptu break dancing after that kick.

gif in the making...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Best chicken dance I've ever seen. How did Barboza not finish him. Fair play to Lee for getting the win after that. Didn't watch the fight yet but reading it as a Khabib like domination from lee

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Lee was outstanding overall, insane cardio, great striking and taking edson down at will
    I'd like to see him get khabib though I'd imagine he'll need another fight or two for his chance, the loss against ferguson might be the best thing that ever happened him
    edson had his chance though in round three but outclassed besides

average card for me, johns like someone said was outclassed by sterling, wasn't even competitive

willis just stood there waiting to counter, was hoping sherman might shake him up, did well to survive after being clipped though.

could have called the frankie cub result after 2/3 mins
    la flare garcia was painful
    hooker I really like, no telling how good he could become even though miller is well past it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Best chicken dance I've ever seen. How did Barboza not finish him. Fair play to Lee for getting the win after that. Didn't watch the fight yet but reading it as a Khabib like domination from lee

Nearly hit the ceiling, one clean punch was all that was needed possible but would have been such an undeserved winner even if I backed edson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭finglashoop

seanhynes wrote: »
    Dodgy nj fight commisoner in the octagon too to influence the decision for the referee, the Georgian should get a submission denial bonus of the night

How does the ref call a tko after the bell? The fight is over.

I would have thought he wins by submission or it goes to a decision. The ref ended the fight after the horn to my eye

Dodgy nj fight commisoner in the octagon too to influence the decision for the referee, the Georgian should get a submission denial bonus of the night

I would have thought he wins by submission or it goes to a decision. The ref ended the fight after the horn to my eye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,155 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What an end to that fight, his neck will be sore for a few days.

I only caught the finish highlight. https://streamable.com/pkriu
    And found it a bit worrying to watch. Looked like he KO'd himself on the takedown, then came around in a mounted guillotine.
    The legs and arms flailing about looked like he was choked out at least once and came around as he adjusted.
    I still don't think it was the correct call , the ref didn't stop the fight before the bell,the Georgian won 2-1 at least , bull**** call he was the better fighter

I'm not certain, but I think NJ utilised video replays for situations like this.
    I'm guessing the commissioner noticed was KO'd on the takedown, so told the ref to call the TKO. He was out at the bell also, so technical submissions was also an option.
    If you're out when the ref cals the fight, you lost.

Mellor wrote: »
    I only caught the finish highlight. https://streamable.com/pkriu
    And found it a bit worrying to watch. Looked like he KO'd himself on the takedown, then came around in a mounted guillotine.
    The legs and arms flailing about looked like he was choked out at least once and came around as he adjusted.

I'm not certain, but I think NJ utilised video replays for situations like this.
    I'm guessing the commissioner noticed was KO'd on the takedown, so told the ref to call the TKO. He was out at the bell also, so technical submissions was also an option.
    If you're out when the ref cals the fight, you lost.

If the ref deems him not to be out and ends the fight is he able to change it retrospectively?

Being conscious isn't a binary thing. If you are at 80% out of it you can't defend yourself. He was clearly out of it at the bell, his eyes are glazed over and his legs go from kicking to like an autopilot twitch. I thought he did enough to survive until I saw him when they separated.

If the ref deems him not to be out and ends the fight is he able to change it retrospectively?

New rules state yes, replays can be used for a fight ending sequence, and because it was at the end of the fight they can call it.

If the ref deemed him not to be out at the bell, then it would have proceeded to decision. It was only a finish because the ref deem him to be out. As far as I'm aware, it's 100% the refs decision at the time.

Mellor wrote: »
    If the ref deemed him not to be out at the bell, then it would have proceeded to decision. It was only a finish because the ref deem him to be out. As far as I'm aware, it's 100% the refs decision at the time.

He didn't look to breaking them up due to submission, usually a ref does it with more urgency to get the fighter to release the Choke

He wasn't breaking due to the submission. Other guy didn't tap, and when he checked on him once or twice he responded* so he let it go on.
    But when he actually broke them up. Polish guy was very clearly out - which means he lost.

On review they called it with the TKO (for the self KO I'd guess), personally I'd have called it a technical submission as that was really obvious. The exact situation came up with Big John a while ago. After an Invicta fighter choked out her opponent, lost the decision win AND lost an appeal. Some hillbilly commission.

https://twitter.com/marc_raimondi/status/820469379372490753

Advertisement