Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2001: A Space Odyssey - 70mm reissue

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is Nolan really approving those releases though and more importantly do WB need his approval to do so?

Good question, I don't know. They probably don't need his approval, no, but I suspect he was involved because he seems to care about that stuff. Whether his objections mean anything in a case where perhaps the studio is too cheap to do a new transfer (Batman Begins) is another matter. He was definitely involved in the 4K releases because he spoke about it in interviews. Many of the problems with the Batman Blu-rays seemed to go back to the digital prints (the IMAX DMR of TDK for e.g.) which he definitely would have approved even if he didn't watch them. I also remember Nolan talking about using DNR to remove grain on the super 35 shots of Batman Begins, contradicting his later position on the sanctity of celluloid. The other factor is that he's colour blind so wouldn't be much use when it comes to evaluating whether the colour is right and that might explain some of the complaints about the colour of his films (TDK, Interstellar) not matching how they looked theatrically.

The reality is that directors aren't cinematographers and their approval of a transfer doesn't mean much in most cases.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Arrival wrote: »
    Intermissions are a necessity during certain films, afaik

Aye but I missed a key moment of the film. I thought it would last at least a few minutes. When I came back, the lights were on full. I'd to go wandering around looking for a switch for them afterwards.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

The reality is that directors aren't cinematographers and their approval of a transfer doesn't mean much in most cases.

It's a nothing statement, the debacle over The French Connection highlights just his little the statement means. Friedkin oversaw the new master, spoke of how great of looked and then when it was released on Blu-Ray the outrage was huge with the cinematographer coming out to publicly call it a travesty.

Turned out that the mater Friedkin claims he oversaw was severely botched by the studio when creating the Blu and it ended up looking nothing like the approved master when Friedkin compared them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

70mm dates announced for IFI in August. Aliens showing in July

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

August 10th - 16th, as per the IFI website.

• Advertisement
Advertisement