Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2001: A Space Odyssey - 70mm reissue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

The IFI have said they'll be showing a new 70mm print later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Hi all,
    Read a great piece in the times about Nolan remaking 2001.
    Can only find info of a US release on may 18.
    Anyone know of an Irish cinema showing it?
    Mucho love.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nolan is bringing a new print mastered 70mm of the film for its 50th anniversary to Cannes and then doing a Masterclass there.

No remake.

Nolan is bringing a new print mastered 70mm of the film for its 50th anniversary to Cannes and then doing a Masterclass there.

No remake.
    Thanks for the correction... doesn't answer my actual query though.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

ewj1978 wrote: »

Well considering your query was about a film that doesn't exist I felt the correction was valid as nowhere is showing a film that doesn't exist/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

TBH 5 seconds with Google is an easier way to do that than asking here :)

I typed "2001 70mm Ireland" into Google and within the first two search results (both IFI pages, specifically this and this) confirmed that it has been and gone from the IFI (April 8th-14th, apparently). Given the scarcity of proper IMAX screens in the UK Ireland (lies told by the likes of Odeon and Cineworld when kitting out new screens notwithstanding), I would imagine the IFI is your only bet for something like this.

Fysh wrote: »
    TBH 5 seconds with Google is an easier way to do that than asking here :)

I typed "2001 70mm Ireland" into Google and within the first two search results (both IFI pages, specifically this and this) confirmed that it has been and gone from the IFI (April 8th-14th, apparently). Given the scarcity of proper IMAX screens in the UK Ireland (lies told by the likes of Odeon and Cineworld when kitting out new screens notwithstanding), I would imagine the IFI is your only bet for something like this.

Aye seen the IFI listings but as it's not released in the US yet I was hoping for other release dates in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

And here I was coming to say "Why?"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The idea of Nolan supervising a new print of 2001 is laughable considering the quality of some of the Blu-ray versions of his own films he has approved over the years. Associating his name with this re-release seems like a marketing gimmick to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Fysh wrote:
    ) confirmed that it has been and gone from the IFI (April 8th-14th, apparently). Given the scarcity of proper IMAX screens in the UK Ireland (lies told by the likes of Odeon and Cineworld when kitting out new screens notwithstanding), I would imagine the IFI is your only bet for something like this.

But those showings were not 2018.
    IFI had an Instagram post on the 20th April this year teasing the 70mm coming soon....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Can see Nolan getting sh1t upon for attempting to tinker with the film. Adding fuel to the fire of those who believe that he is but a pretender to the likes of Kubrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Hi all,
    Read a great piece in the times about Nolan remaking 2001.
    Can only find info of a US release on may 18.
    Anyone know of an Irish cinema showing it?
    Mucho love.

He’s not remaking it. That would be tantamount to sacrilege imho

I hate Nolan's constant crying about film and how the only way to watch a film is in a theatre projecting 70mm, but that only seems to refer to paying customers as he seemingly has no issue with screeners being sent out to Academy voters though this year they did send out 4K Blu's or Dunkirk.

2001 is being shown in the Palas in Galway in the coming month or so but based on the screening of A Fistful of Dollars I saw there recently it may be best to stay at home and watch the film on Blu-Ray given the luck struck presentation of the film there as well as the ridiculous layout which results in most seats being positioned in such as way that you have to crane your neck and then pan from side to side in order to see the full screen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Associating his name with this re-release seems like a marketing gimmick to me.

Aye, it's a strange one. While I'm 100% behind any 70mm push and 2001 is obviously a truly epic experience in the format, I'd love to see it focused on other films.

2001 has gotten several 70mm runs in the IFI in recent years, and while a new print is welcome, there are many other films that would be even more exciting to see given this level of publicity with a big name backing.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Lighthouse are showing it over three days in June, but it's the digital print instead of 70mm in case anyone was curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Lighthouse are showing it over three days in June, but it's the digital print instead of 70mm in case anyone was curious.

Either way the film is a snoozefest

Greyfox wrote: »
    Either way the film is a snoozefest

You're entitled to your opinion of one of the greatest sci-fi movies of its time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Aye, it's a strange one. While I'm 100% behind any 70mm push and 2001 is obviously a truly epic experience in the format, I'd love to see it focused on other films.

2001 has gotten several 70mm runs in the IFI in recent years, and while a new print is welcome, there are many other films that would be even more exciting to see given this level of publicity with a big name backing.

I suppose the idea from Nolan's perspective is to reignite interest in 70mm which might lead to other films getting the treatment, but yeah, 2001 has been re-released to death. The old prints have been going around so long they must have been in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

You're entitled to your opinion of one of the greatest sci-fi movies of its time.
    Yeah if I had of been young when it first came out I probably would of really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well he's going to be disappointed. Most of the movie going youth of today don't have the patience for a movie like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Kirby wrote: »
    Well he's going to be disappointed. Most of the movie going youth of today don't have the patience for a movie like this.

Most of the movie going youth don't have the patience for a lot of movies. I assume he is referring the younger generation who are proper film-buffs or sci-fi heads and the like who have either never seen 2001 or haven't seen it on the big screen i.e The youth who are going to pay money to see it shown in 70mm. I'm in my mid 20s and only saw it for the first time last year on a crappy laptop screen and my mind was still blown asunder.

Most of the movie going youth don't have the patience for a lot of movies. I assume he is referring the younger generation who are proper film-buffs or sci-fi heads and the like who have either never seen 2001 or haven't seen it on the big screen i.e The youth who are going to pay money to see it shown in 70mm. I'm in my mid 20s and only saw it for the first time last year on a crappy laptop screen and my mind was still blown asunder.

That is such a crock of shit. The way people write of younger audiences these days as not having the attention span or intelligence to understand a film like 2001 is nonsense. The way we generalise audiences is counterproductive and only makes the person saying it look bad.

Sure plenty of younger audiences these days don't want to watch 2001 but then again, plenty of young audiences at the time didn't want to watch it either.

My little brother is 10 and recently wanted to watch Shane to see what it was like. He's watched plenty of the old greats and while he loves Marvel and Star Wars he also loves the like of Shane and a dozen other classics. Plenty of young people love older films and much like ourselves all they want is to be challenged and entertained. He's shown an interest in seeing 2001 and whenever he comes to visit he goes through my blu-rays picking out films he wants to watch. A lot of them are far beyond him now but I have no doubt that in years to come he will enjoy a rich variety of cinema. He also really wants to watch quite a lot of foreign films and isn't a fan of them dubbed which bodes well. And I doubt he is the only one, if 2001 was playing near him he'd go to see it, in fact next time he comes up we said we would watch it and then afterward some other classic sci-fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Your brother is an outlier, not the norm. Don't project. If you were exposed to the "youth" of today on a daily basis you might think differently.

I stand by what I said. A crock of sh*t it is not. If 2001 got another run at the box office, the audience would not be filled with children. They will be next door watching Transformers 7. Or 9 Fast 6 Furious.

Your brother is an outlier, not the norm. Don't project. If you were exposed to the "youth" of today on a daily basis you might think differently.

I stand by what I said. A crock of sh*t it is not. If 2001 got another run at the box office, the audience would not be filled with children. They will be next door watching Transformers 7. Or 9 Fast 6 Furious.

Again, you are making assumptions. Are you telling me that when 2001 released kids were lining up to see it as they were somewhat more sophisticated than kids today? This kind of backward thinking is along the lines of "they had to edit it for the dumb Americans", it's complete and utter horseshit designed to make one person feel superior to another. Maybe you surround yourself with kids and see a different side but during Isle of Dogs, Coco, Early Man it was the kids in the audience who seemed to be enjoying the films far more than the adults and it's not the first time that I have felt that.

Also, I don't see the issue with Fast and Furious, as a blockbuster franchise it is second to none and far more entertaining than 90% of what passes for cinema releases these days and is more aimed at adults than kids from what I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

This is my favourite Kubrick movie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

This is my favourite movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

The idea of Nolan supervising a new print of 2001 is laughable considering the quality of some of the Blu-ray versions of his own films he has approved over the years. Associating his name with this re-release seems like a marketing gimmick to me.

Is Nolan really approving those releases though and more importantly do WB need his approval to do so?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Saw this yesterday and I won't pretend that I understood it. Annoyingly, the cinema I was in had an intermission and when I came back,
    HAL had killed one of the characters and the ones in the pods.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Saw this yesterday and I won't pretend that I understood it. Annoyingly, the cinema I was in had an intermission and when I came back,
    HAL had killed one of the characters and the ones in the pods.

Intermissions are a necessity during certain films, afaik

Advertisement